• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Work Horses

Custodian

imported post

I think we all know what to expect from the big names. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Walther, Glock, H&K, Taurus, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Charles Daly, Beretta, Browning, Kalashnikov, Armalite, FN, CZ, SIG-Sauer, Tangfolio, Magnum Research, Kahr, Mauser, Kel-Tec, Remington, just to name a few off the top of my head.

But what about the other guys? The Work Horses? The unsung gunmakers for those who may not be able to afford the name brand of the manufacturers I just listed. No I'm not talking about those of debatable[some may read this as dubious] quality. [oh... Lorcin, Raven, Jiminez, Star, etc.]

I am trying not to give into gun snobbery, but if I smell of it just give me a reality check.

The guys I'm talking about.... Charter, North American, Bersa, Hi-Point,etc.

Anyone own any of these? How about those I listed as debatable? Give em a hand for their dedication or the door for their quality?

As always in this free society, you decide.

Custodian

Decoligny

imported post

I personally own and love the Hi-Point C9 9mm Compact.

I have put just under 1,000 rounds through it and after a few tweaks to the magazines and polishing the feed ramp I have had no problems with it.

It is accurate, fits my hand perfectly, can't beat the price and warranty.

I have actually seen a guy who sent in the remains of a Hi-Point .45 that had been cut into three pieces on a band saw. Hi-Point melted the polymer frame, removed the serial number and made him a brand new gun with the same serial number.

Good solid workhorse of a gun, not a primadonna, and not worried about scratching up the finish.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My first carry gun was an Astra A-75 (Spanish) in .40 S&W. It's a medium frame DA semiauto with NO plastic parts, ie., it's heavy. I switched to the Glock 19 after a couple years, but now I'm back to heavy metal with my Taurus PT1911. Now that I don't care if my handgun stays concealed or not it doesn't make much difference if it's heavy or large.

What I liked about the Astra is that you can chamber a round, lower the hammer with the decocking lever and you've got a heck of a big trigger pull to get off the first shot, which negates the need for an external safety. If you don't like a heavy trigger pull you can always manually cock the hammer back before firing. It's definitely not a cheaply made "Saturday-night special."

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Custodian wrote:
But what about the other guys? The Work Horses? The unsung gunmakers for those who may not be able to afford the name brand of the manufacturers I just listed. No I'm not talking about those of debatable[some may read this as dubious] quality. [oh... Lorcin, Raven, Jiminez, Star, etc.]
I have a Raven P25 I inherited. Needed a little work to smooth it because it was a little jammer when I got it. Very light recoil spring that is not forgiving to limp wristing and is very sensitive to any grit or burring. Now it is a suprisingly accurate, consistent little pocket auto. It is what it is and that is not a workhorse, and it was not intended as one. It is a deep concealment, "get me to a big gun" weapon or "buy time to run" pistol. I don't carry it often, but I would rather have it than nothing when situations dictate no chance of printing or being detected carrying.

Lthrnck

imported post

I have a Bersa Thunder9 Ultra. I have had no problems with it. It's smaller so my wife can use it if necessary. But has the extended mag so it fits well in my hand also.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

My second pistol was a Mini Firestorm .40 and I'm proud to say that I still own and carry it almost 10 years later without morefailures than I can counton one hand. My first 1911 was a High Standard. These also fall into the less expensive, but worth more than their price category. I'll put it up against my Springfield in shootability.

BTW: I'll put my low end guns up against my first purchase any day when it comes to shootability. GLOCK 17

Legba

imported post

I winced at seeing Star and Lorcin/Raven/et al.in the same sentence. I, for one,like the old Spanish steel. I know I can shoot the tail off a rat at 25 yards with my old Star model B 9mm, so I consider them to be greatly maligned or at least underappreciated. It'd be nice if someone in the Basque country over there reopened one of the old plants (not sure why almost all the gun makers were Basques back in the day). I don't like to use SA pistols as primary carry pieces, mine doesn't like hollow-points, and the blueing is worn down to almost bare steel, but I have an abiding affection for this piece. No "issues" with long service. A real nail-driver.

-ljp

Erus

imported post

I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 Just as nice as dad's old army springfield from the big war. (yeah ok I know his was a little loose in the tolerances, but it served well) I love the thing. I got it for about $75.00 less than the current "G.I." model springfield. It's not a Kimber or a matchgrade Colt, but it hits what I point it at, feeds JHP's no worries and I am not scared to drag it through the mud if I ever have to.

The wife has a Bersa Thunder .380 and CC's it daily. She like it lots. Shoots very well, carries and conceals well. No issues. We got it at a good price too.

I have nothing against a Name brand, but I also am not rich enough to base my fireamrs purchases on name alone.

I have not yet held/shot the hi-point .45, but for the dough, it seems like it's the perfect "toss it in the bug-out bag for a backup" gun. Rarely do I listen to critics, I like to think for myself... when I get a chance, if it feels/shoots well, then it's mine.. if not, I shop around.. but name brand is not something I look at in comparison until the fourth or fifth thing on the list.

YMMV

tju1973

imported post

I know your original question may not have covered "sns-es", but I always carry a Jennings J22 in a Bianchi holster in my front pocket. It was a freebie from a coworker and has zero issues as long as I shoot CCI Minimags or Stingers--

.22s are not much in defense area, but it will at least make someone think twice about screwing with me..

:)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I was gonna say Ruger is largely unsung in the autoloader marketcompared to Glock,Springfield,S&W, Colt, Kimber, etc. but you included it on the list.

*&%$ it, I'm going to extol their virtues anyway; they get far more attention for their revolvers than their autoloaders. Ruger P-series pistols are inexpensive, rugged, and totally reliable. I picked a P-95 as my first gun, and it's still my do-all, go-to gun for everything from CC to HD to plinking (though my Buckmark is largely supplanting the fun plinker role). If you want a reliable 9mm that won't break the bank, Ruger's the first and last word.

Flintlock

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Well I was gonna say Ruger is largely unsung in the autoloader marketcompared to Glock,Springfield,S&W, Colt, Kimber, etc. but you included it on the list.

*&%$ it, I'm going to extol their virtues anyway; they get far more attention for their revolvers than their autoloaders. Ruger P-series pistols are inexpensive, rugged, and totally reliable. I picked a P-95 as my first gun, and it's still my do-all, go-to gun for everything from CC to HD to plinking (though my Buckmark is largely supplanting the fun plinker role). If you want a reliable 9mm that won't break the bank, Ruger's the first and last word.
I second Ruger as a reliable, workhorse,pistol manufacturer. :cool:

R.Ph. 380

imported post

:)I own 2 Bersas, The Thunder 380 CC and The Thunder 9 UC. Both are great, accurate and fun to shoot. The CC is light, hits POA and conceals great. The 9 Ultra Compact is a workhorse, no failuresin over 500 rounds.:celebrate

----------------------------

Bersa Thunder 9UC
Bersa Thunder 380 CC
Keltec P3AT
Glock 26
1903 Colt 32 Pocket Pistol
Gave the Taurus to my Brother-in-Law

AbNo

imported post

Hi-Point 995 carbine: Love it. It's got all the style and flair of a concrete mule, but it hits what I point it at.

No problems, other than what I caused to it myself. :uhoh:

But they fixed it for free! :celebrate

Rock Island 1911 TactiCOOL model: Love it. Accurate, reliable, sturdy.

Only real nitpicks I have are: The safety seems a bit easy to knock into the "off" position when carrying lefty, and the (physical) trigger is uncomfortable

Marco

imported post

Both those prolems are easy to fix.

Install and Swenson Ambi safety and an adjustable trigger.

EDIT:
I got to shoot a Hi-Point 9mm riflethe other day.
WOW!
What a ugly gun but it did shoot straight. I informed the owner that there was a aftermarket stock available that would make it a easier on the eyes without harming performance.

Marco

imported post

Videcki is the the one I had installed on my 1911's.
I haven't had any problems with it.