• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some questions on getting my CHP

mercutio545

imported post

So I'm (finally) turning 21 in a little while, and I figure I'd do some research on getting my permit. I found the form on the state police website, and I had a few questions.

1) Can I do the "proof of competency" training before I turn 21, and include a copy of the certificate with the application when I become of age and send it in?

2) How do I send in the application? Do I go to the court in person? Do I mail it? It wasn't really that clear on the website.

3) How specific do I have to be in regards to the physical features section? Do I have to tell them about the .125" mole that I have on my left asscheek? Not sure if that's a "peculiar characteristic" or not :)

Thanks!

72Malibu

imported post

Congratulations!

Requirements vary by county, so I will give you answers based on my experience with my county (Orange). Feel free to correct me anybody if I'm wrong.

1. Yes, you can. Hunter's safety certificate is an acceptable form of "Proof of Competency" and you can get that when you're very young.

2. This may vary percounty. I personally took mine in to the court. Whlie there, they photocopied my drivers' license and "proof of competency" as well as my expired PA CCW permit.

3. I would keep physical features to birthmarks, tattoos, hair/eye color, noticeable scars, etc. It's really at your discretion. I don't know whether they view the amount of depth you give as an indication of your straightforwardness or what.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Congratulations!

Requirements vary by county, so I will give you answers based on my experience with my county (Orange). Feel free to correct me anybody if I'm wrong.

1. Yes, you can. Hunter's safety certificate is an acceptable form of "Proof of Competency" and you can get that when you're very young.

2. This may vary percounty. I personally took mine in to the court. Whlie there, they photocopied my drivers' license and "proof of competency" as well as my expired PA CCW permit.

3. I would keep physical features to birthmarks, tattoos, hair/eye color, noticeable scars, etc. It's really at your discretion. I don't know whether they view the amount of depth you give as an indication of your straightforwardness or what.

Whoaaaaa! No need to let them have a copy of any ID - get your application notarized before you show up - no ID is needed to apply. if you provide it and they ciopy it, it will be a public reocrd and anybody can copy it and put on Internet.

Do not disclose your SSN - write "Not disclosed, if any."

If your localitie fingerprints, no SSN either.

Spectre

imported post

Mike wrote:

Whoaaaaa! No need to let them have a copy of any ID - get your application notarized before you show up - no ID is needed to apply. if you provide it and they ciopy it, it will be a public reocrd and anybody can copy it and put on Internet.

Sadly I did not know that I didnt need to give that info when I got mine. So now Henrico county has my ID, SSN, and fingerprints on record. If I'de have known that they didn' need some of it I wouldnt have given it to them.

:banghead:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I knew I didn't have to disclose my SSN (so I did not) but I did let them look at my ID when I applied in Goochland, guess I did not really think about it back then. The ffirst lady at the Clerk's office told me I had to, but a more senior person explained the law properly to her :)

BTW for those in Goochland, they do not require fingerprints.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Spectre wrote:
Sadly I did not know that I didnt need to give that info when I got mine. So now Henrico county has my ID, SSN, and fingerprints on record. If I'de have known that they didn' need some of it I wouldnt have given it to them.
18.2-308 requires that fingerprint cards be destroyed or returned to you - but th eFBI keeps copies till you are 99 years old, unfortunately.

bruins499

imported post

Hanover county issued me my first.
I used a hunters ed course that i did when i was 14 or so and mailed everything in
to the county clerk didnt feel like the hassle of going to the court.Little while later i
recived my permit in the mail. No problem, No photo I.D. sent and no finger prints.

xd.40

imported post

Mike wrote

Just so everybody knows, I am a notary in Virginia. If you need your permit notarized, PM me and we can work the details out. Saves you the hassle of shoing ID and trying to explain to them that you don't want them to have a copy of your ID. I just make sure you are who you SAY you are, and don't need a copy of it. :lol:

eyesopened

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Mike wrote

Just so everybody knows, I am a notary in Virginia. If you need your permit notarized, PM me and we can work the details out. Saves you the hassle of shoing ID and trying to explain to them that you don't want them to have a copy of your ID. I just make sure you are who you SAY you are, and don't need a copy of it. :lol:
Thanks for the offer! I'm going to get in touch when I do my UTAH permit.

eyesopened

imported post

Well I'm not flying to Utah to get it notarized! :lol: They give non-resident permits so I doubt people would have to sign it at a notary in Utah to get accepted