• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post Blogger Attacks Virginia Gun Laws

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just love it when some idiot anti uses his first amendment rights to denigrate our second amendment rights.

So many antis (like Obama) seem to say that the second amendment is fine, as long as you don't actually own, carry, or use a gun. That is like saying that freedom of speech is fine as long as you don't use any words or images.

hsmith

imported post

wrote a response to the editorial board, but meh nothing will happen.

Reading Marc Fisher's editorial "I'll Have The Chicken--And By The Way, I'm Packing" on Virginia's repeal of the "restaurant gun ban" I will agree with him, firearms and alcohol don't mix. In fact it is one of the tenets of safe firearm ownership.

Where we start to disagree is where his blatant bias comes into play - his flat out intellectual dishonesty in describing the law. The bill, which was passed both the House and Senate, makes it illegal to drink alcohol if you are carrying a concealed firearm into a restaurant which serves alcohol. Our legislators nipped this issue in the bud from the get go, doing so is a Class I misdemeanor.

Once again the facts are ignored for those that have concealed handgun permits and their ability to abide by the law. Once again they are mixed in with the common criminal who has a blatant disregard for life and law.

What doesn't mix? Alcohol and cars. We lose almost 350 Virginians a year due to drunk driving. The prudent thing to do would be to ban those who will be driving from drinking at a restaurant.

But that would not serve an agenda.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I just got finished reading all of the postings present and I found myself discusted and appalled. I have run into this bigotry and bias many times of the left-leaning fuzzies, anti's, and so-called open minded types. They are all among the most bigoted, racist, and close minded people I have ever encountered. And I have had the experience of having "lived" on both sides of the political fence.

But some of the comments on this link surprised even me. Condescending and biased in the extreme were a few.. dispicable were many. These are the types of people we DO NOT need in Virginia. The types who have poisoned a fine state and would do it even more were the chance and opportunity availed.

I actually found myself hoping a few of them might manage to get themselves attacked by an assailant just to shake their tree into reality. Not killed, but maybe scared crapless and perhaps hurt a little. I don't like thinking like this (it is not natural for me to wish others to suffer harm), but at the expense of my rights and freedom, there it is.

rebfan

imported post

What do you expect from the COMPOST? This particular "writer" loves illegals and does not see why there should be any crack down on them, but goes full force against a right granted to us by the Constitution.

LEO 229

imported post

How dumb is this!!???

Or as a restaurateur put it: "Why would somebody want to have a gun in a restaurant?" Mike Standing, of Waterman's Surfside Grille in Virginia Beach, told the Virginian-Pilot. "In case the crab legs came alive and got angry?"

The purpose is to fight of a violent attacker as many have been reported on the news. Some people just do not get it do they??!!

Check out this comment...

I've always felt that Northern Virginia should secede from the rest of Virginia. If I saw someone openly carrying a gun into a restaurant, I'd pack up my family and leave. There is such a divide between NoVa and RoVa.

I guess a table for four just opened up sir.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I've always felt that Northern Virginia should secede from the rest of Virginia. If I saw someone openly carrying a gun into a restaurant, I'd pack up my family and leave. There is such a divide between NoVa and RoVa.

What's funny is, that in reality, in NOVA, especially FFX County, not only do citizens not bat an eye over OC in restaurants (I have OCed in the Chart House in Old Town Alexandria with my wife without a problem), but the Fairfax County, the police have been pretty well accustomed to it, and hardly even roll there eyes anymore over it.

One of our OCDO members has a recent 911 call (he FOIAed the recording) and police response records to prove this - I don't think he has chosen to release it just yet though.

ROVA PDs and politicos are a little behind - they will catch up eventually.

SouthernBoy

imported post

rebfan wrote:
What do you expect from the COMPOST? This particular "writer" loves illegals and does not see why there should be any crack down on them, but goes full force against a right granted to us by the Constitution.
Just a little reminder. The Bill of Rights (not the Constitution) grants no rights at all. I essentially tells (warns) government that the people have certain rights which are their natural rights and as such, not to be infringed upon by government. Therefore, it protects rights already held by the people.

SouthernBoy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
How dumb is this!!???

Or as a restaurateur put it: "Why would somebody want to have a gun in a restaurant?" Mike Standing, of Waterman's Surfside Grille in Virginia Beach, told the Virginian-Pilot. "In case the crab legs came alive and got angry?"

The purpose is to fight of a violent attacker as many have been reported on the news. Some people just do not get it do they??!!

This statement and a few others really got to me. It is proof of the poisoning of our beloved Virginia by people not native to the state who have a view of what they think Virginia should be. That view is totally out of sync with the rest of the state. It is arrogant and elitist and not welcome in a Southern climate.