Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrum College OC Histeria???

Post imported post

Was this guy just OC'ing w/ the gun in a holster? The MSM will never tell us
    Is it legal? No referrence from them
    Haven't found one source to tell me any of this. Not to mention, we have no idea what was really said to the janitor.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?i...277&page=1
    This honestly reminds me of the news reports I saw in China recently. "The authorities have done a wonderful job of taking care of everything :-D"

Post imported post

15 minutes in, Sherriff admits it "wasn't being held." That means holster. That means OC.
    Earlier, he even said that having a gun on campus is illegal, which is obviously BS.
    http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7925998

I'm also really glad to hear that people are "manning and womanning the phones." Thank you Madam President. Also, they point out that HUNDREDS of police officers have been mobilized, so if you're planning a bank heist in Roanoke, now is a GREAT time to do it

Post imported post

The whole thing is just stupid. Someone exercises a constitutional right and the place goes into lockdown..

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    15 minutes in, Sherriff admits it "wasn't being held." That means holster. That means OC.
    Earlier, he even said that having a gun on campus is illegal, which is obviously BS.
    FWIW, Ferrum College is a private college. They can forbid firearms on their property if they want.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    FWIW, Ferrum College is a private college. They can forbid firearms on their property if they want.
    Still not illegal until notified and asked to leave. Then, it's tresspassing.

Post imported post

I caught a bit of CNN's coverage about an hour ago. The story is being framed as being reported by a housekeeper who saw the subject with a gun and the subject telling the housekeeper "not to tell anyone"...

The media reaction here is almost the same sensationalism Geraldo Rivera generated with opening Al Capones vault, with a vein of "Everyone PANIC, someone has a GUN!"

This was not a news story. It is propaganda.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Here's a link to the local and infamous Roanoke Times which right now has the story on the front page. Check out the photos w/ snipers on the roof and all. 300 LEOs showed up!

I have a friend who used to work for the Roanoke Times and he says he wouldn't give them the time of day

I'm still intending on walking through the VA Tech campus while OCing when I find the time and reason to be there. But after seeing this hysteria I may just call the campus police first to inform them!

http://www.roanoke.com/wb/xp-index

Edit to change "planning" to "intending", small difference in implication.

Post imported post

The VCDL guys were carrying when they came to speak at VT, and nothing happened as far as I know. I guess it was dark out, and I don't think theywalked around campus, so maybe they werent noticed by anyone that would actually care.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    I caught a bit of CNN's coverage about an hour ago. The story is being framed as being reported by a housekeeper who saw the subject with a gun and the subject telling the housekeeper "not to tell anyone"...

The media reaction here is almost the same sensationalism Geraldo Rivera generated with opening Al Capones vault, with a vein of "Everyone PANIC, someone has a GUN!"

This was not a news story. It is propaganda.
    +1

"Don't tell anyone" could just as easily be "the goofs around here will go bananas and lock everyone up because I'm transporting my gun between my car and my room."

I'm sorry, but bomb threats were the big thing when I was in high school and students didn't want to be in class. Today it's "man with a gun".

If students and professors were armed, this would not be much of a threat.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ferrum College cancelled classes for the rest of the week, thereby starting spring break early, because of this alleged gunman.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Ferrum College cancelled classes for the rest of the week, thereby starting spring break early, because of this alleged gunman.
    I watched the news video from this morning (Wendnesday) that was on roanoke.com and the LEO said the suspect made statements that indicated violent behaviour, but didn't say what was actually said that might be taken as indicating violence.

I haven't seen any comments made except by one guy, pro carry BTW...

Anyway, they had 300 LEOs from 20 or so three letter organizations. I wonder if any of them were Conservators of the Peace :^).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I attened Ferrum in '70. I can't imagine where they could come up with 300 LEOs. Heck, Rt. 40 wouldn't support the traffic. Now you could likely find 300 stills in a pretty small radius, though ;-)

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:
    I attened Ferrum in '70. I can't imagine where they could come up with 300 LEOs. Heck, Rt. 40 wouldn't support the traffic. Now you could likely find 300 stills in a pretty small radius, though ;-)
    Moonshine capital of the world!

Post imported post

What if the report was either fake or erroneous? Consider how the students were treated:

Ferrum classes canceled until after spring break; sketch released

[SNIP]
    Meagan Hardy, an 18-year-old Spanish major from Bedford County, said she was awakened by a phone call from her mother, who was concerned because she had received the message about the possible shooting. After clearing the sleep from her head, Hardy said, she looked out her dorm room window to see a dozen police cars outside.

''I don't know if anybody was scared, but people were a little freaked out," she said yesterday afternoon after the roughly 800 students who live on campus had been identified, searched and herded into the campus gymnasium. "Nobody heard any shots, so nobody was too worried."

ID'd? Searched? Herded? Is this America?

Have you seen the pictures? Pretty scary!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sounds like a conditioning experiment. Testing what level of fear mongering is required to force sheep like compliance.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    DoubleR wrote:
    Yup! I couldn't resist the link. I'll betcha Mr. Pierce knows where this is.

http://www.moonshinersjamboree.com/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:

Oh, like I'm going to spend any time checking out that site.

Can you say, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    DoubleR wrote:

Danvull, right near SoBo :^). You see the equipment that they use to make the stuff and you wonder why more people aren't dead... :^).

Post imported post

Wouldn't it be nice if the Kremlin would just share all the information that they have with the public so that we could figure out what really happened?

My best guess would be that the guy was poorly CC; the staffer saw and nearly messed his pants, so the guy asked him not to go alarming people by telling them that there is someone who wishes to protect himself.

Post imported post

Did we ever find out what the "gunman" actually said?

We've been assured by the wonderful police there that something was said to make them concerned, but one week later and no open-carrier found, and we have no idea what that is.

Honestly guys, this should be a major concern for the OC community in Virginia. Basically, this guy was doing what a lot of us do every day and now he's being characterized as a mass-murderer without ANY information backing that up.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Did we ever find out what the "gunman" actually said?

We've been assured by the wonderful police there that something was said to make them concerned, but one week later and no open-carrier found, and we have no idea what that is.

Honestly guys, this should be a major concern for the OC community in Virginia. Basically, this guy was doing what a lot of us do every day and now he's being characterized as a mass-murderer without ANY information backing that up.
    For all we know, it was just another "man with a gun" call like we hear about all the time. Heck I wouldn't doubt it was a stunt (the call) just to get extra days slapped onto their spring break.

This is just another example of the "only bad guys have guns" mentality.

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    Wouldn't it be nice if the Kremlin would just share all the information that they have with the public so that we could figure out what really happened?

My best guess would be that the guy was poorly CC; the staffer saw and nearly messed his pants, so the guy asked him not to go alarming people by telling them that there is someone who wishes to protect himself.
    I am tending to think it was sloppy CC too. Which would explain why he said not to tell anyone. That assumes that this whole thing isn't made up by the housekeeper. But I don't want to smear her without knowing the facts.

If it was a vistor I doubt they're ever going to find him. I bet he won't be back for awhile at least :^).

Post imported post

I've called the various police departments and college offices down there to figure out what was said between the guy and the housekeeper. Surprise, Surprise, It's not going too well. Getting a lot of run around.
    I'll stay on them. In the mean time, it would be good if several others called as well (all are in 540 area code):
    Chief of College Police
    - D. Hogan 365-4476
    College Police Officers
    - 365-4444
    Franklin County Sheriff - 483-3000
    Franklin County Director of Public Safety - 483-3091
    Dean of Student Affairs - Andrea Zuschin 365-4259
    Director of Residence Education - Jason Jones 365-4461
    Residence Education Professionals - 365-4607 and 365-4617

Post imported post

Alright. I got some info. Major Josh Carter of the Frankline Co. Sherrif's Dept called me back and would not give me much. I never found out more about the conversation with the housekeeper and I've been assured that unless the suspect is caught, I never will.

They were pretty resistant to give out info, even under the hypothetical that they never find the guy. That's alright. I kind of expected that.

He finally gave up that they know that the guy was BRANDISHING. He made it clear that the guy had the pistol in his hand, so there actually was a crime, according to him.

I have reason to be suspicious though still:

1) The Sherrif himself said in a press conference last week that the gun was NOT in his hand. Could be a day-one error, but I doubt that he would get something of this signifigance wrong.

2) At the beginning of the conversation with Josh Carter, I mentioned that he was carrying holstered and he didn't refute that at that point. Perhaps I wore him down, but again, I would hope that he would be professional enough that that's not possible.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Alright. I got some info. Major Josh Carter of the Frankline Co. Sherrif's Dept called me back and would not give me much. I never found out more about the conversation with the housekeeper and I've been assured that unless the suspect is caught, I never will.

They were pretty resistant to give out info, even under the hypothetical that they never find the guy. That's alright. I kind of expected that.

He finally gave up that they know that the guy was BRANDISHING. He made it clear that the guy had the pistol in his hand, so there actually was a crime, according to him.

I have reason to be suspicious though still:

1) The Sherrif himself said in a press conference last week that the gun was NOT in his hand. Could be a day-one error, but I doubt that he would get something of this signifigance wrong.

2) At the beginning of the conversation with Josh Carter, I mentioned that he was carrying holstered and he didn't refute that at that point. Perhaps I wore him down, but again, I would hope that he would be professional enough that that's not possible.
    If this is the case then the facts are inconsistant and it sounds more and more like the housekeeper was making up a story, and changing it as time passes. There was only one witness so a day-one error is not as likely as might be otherwise. I wonder if they're going to interogate her more? The purpose being to see if her story remains consistant. Then there was the statement in the press that the suspect was wearing a T-shirt, at this time of year? Even indoors I find that odd.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual about the evidence that's been released?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast