• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ferrum College OC Histeria???

ufcfanvt

imported post

Was this guy just OC'ing w/ the gun in a holster? The MSM will never tell us :(
Is it legal? No referrence from them:cuss:
Haven't found one source to tell me any of this. Not to mention, we have no idea what was really said to the janitor.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4345277&page=1
This honestly reminds me of the news reports I saw in China recently. "The authorities have done a wonderful job of taking care of everything :-D"

ufcfanvt

imported post

15 minutes in, Sherriff admits it "wasn't being held." That means holster. That means OC.
Earlier, he even said that having a gun on campus is illegal, which is obviously BS.
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7925998

I'm also really glad to hear that people are "manning and womanning the phones." Thank you Madam President. Also, they point out that HUNDREDS of police officers have been mobilized, so if you're planning a bank heist in Roanoke, now is a GREAT time to do it;)

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

The whole thing is just stupid. Someone exercises a constitutional right and the place goes into lockdown..

:banghead:

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
15 minutes in, Sherriff admits it "wasn't being held." That means holster. That means OC.
Earlier, he even said that having a gun on campus is illegal, which is obviously BS.
FWIW, Ferrum College is a private college. They can forbid firearms on their property if they want.

ufcfanvt

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
FWIW, Ferrum College is a private college. They can forbid firearms on their property if they want.
Still not illegal until notified and asked to leave. Then, it's tresspassing.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I caught a bit of CNN's coverage about an hour ago. The story is being framed as being reported by a housekeeper who saw the subject with a gun and the subject telling the housekeeper "not to tell anyone"...

The media reaction here is almost the same sensationalism Geraldo Rivera generated with opening Al Capones vault, with a vein of "Everyone PANIC, someone has a GUN!"

This was not a news story. It is propaganda.

Neplusultra

imported post

Here's a link to the local and infamous Roanoke Times which right now has the story on the front page. Check out the photos w/ snipers on the roof and all. 300 LEOs showed up!

I have a friend who used to work for the Roanoke Times and he says he wouldn't give them the time of day :)

I'm still intending on walking through the VA Tech campus while OCing when I find the time and reason to be there. But after seeing this hysteria I may just call the campus police first to inform them!

http://www.roanoke.com/wb/xp-index

Edit to change "planning" to "intending", small difference in implication.

mpg9999

imported post

The VCDL guys were carrying when they came to speak at VT, and nothing happened as far as I know. I guess it was dark out, and I don't think theywalked around campus, so maybe they werent noticed by anyone that would actually care.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I caught a bit of CNN's coverage about an hour ago. The story is being framed as being reported by a housekeeper who saw the subject with a gun and the subject telling the housekeeper "not to tell anyone"...

The media reaction here is almost the same sensationalism Geraldo Rivera generated with opening Al Capones vault, with a vein of "Everyone PANIC, someone has a GUN!"

This was not a news story. It is propaganda.
+1

"Don't tell anyone" could just as easily be "the goofs around here will go bananas and lock everyone up because I'm transporting my gun between my car and my room."

I'm sorry, but bomb threats were the big thing when I was in high school and students didn't want to be in class. Today it's "man with a gun".

If students and professors were armed, this would not be much of a threat.

Neplusultra

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Ferrum College cancelled classes for the rest of the week, thereby starting spring break early, because of this alleged gunman.
I watched the news video from this morning (Wendnesday) that was on roanoke.com and the LEO said the suspect made statements that indicated violent behaviour, but didn't say what was actually said that might be taken as indicating violence.

I haven't seen any comments made except by one guy, pro carry BTW...

Anyway, they had 300 LEOs from 20 or so three letter organizations. I wonder if any of them were Conservators of the Peace :^).

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I attened Ferrum in '70. I can't imagine where they could come up with 300 LEOs. Heck, Rt. 40 wouldn't support the traffic. Now you could likely find 300 stills in a pretty small radius, though ;-)

Neplusultra

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
I attened Ferrum in '70. I can't imagine where they could come up with 300 LEOs. Heck, Rt. 40 wouldn't support the traffic. Now you could likely find 300 stills in a pretty small radius, though ;-)
Moonshine capital of the world!

Repeater

imported post

What if the report was either fake or erroneous? Consider how the students were treated:

Ferrum classes canceled until after spring break; sketch released

[SNIP]
Meagan Hardy, an 18-year-old Spanish major from Bedford County, said she was awakened by a phone call from her mother, who was concerned because she had received the message about the possible shooting. After clearing the sleep from her head, Hardy said, she looked out her dorm room window to see a dozen police cars outside.

''I don't know if anybody was scared, but people were a little freaked out," she said yesterday afternoon after the roughly 800 students who live on campus had been identified, searched and herded into the campus gymnasium. "Nobody heard any shots, so nobody was too worried."

ID'd? Searched? Herded? Is this America?

Have you seen the pictures? Pretty scary!

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sounds like a conditioning experiment. Testing what level of fear mongering is required to force sheep like compliance.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
DoubleR wrote:

Yup! I couldn't resist the link. I'll betcha Mr. Pierce knows where this is.

http://www.moonshinersjamboree.com/

Neplusultra

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
DoubleR wrote:

Yup! I couldn't resist the link. I'll betcha Mr. Pierce knows where this is.

http://www.moonshinersjamboree.com/
Danvull, right near SoBo :^). You see the equipment that they use to make the stuff and you wonder why more people aren't dead... :^).

VApatriot

imported post

Wouldn't it be nice if the Kremlin would just share all the information that they have with the public so that we could figure out what really happened?

My best guess would be that the guy was poorly CC; the staffer saw and nearly messed his pants, so the guy asked him not to go alarming people by telling them that there is someone who wishes to protect himself.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Did we ever find out what the "gunman" actually said?

We've been assured by the wonderful police there that something was said to make them concerned, but one week later and no open-carrier found, and we have no idea what that is.

Honestly guys, this should be a major concern for the OC community in Virginia. Basically, this guy was doing what a lot of us do every day and now he's being characterized as a mass-murderer without ANY information backing that up.