• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ferrum College OC Histeria???

nova

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Did we ever find out what the "gunman" actually said?

We've been assured by the wonderful police there that something was said to make them concerned, but one week later and no open-carrier found, and we have no idea what that is.

Honestly guys, this should be a major concern for the OC community in Virginia. Basically, this guy was doing what a lot of us do every day and now he's being characterized as a mass-murderer without ANY information backing that up.
For all we know, it was just another "man with a gun" call like we hear about all the time. Heck I wouldn't doubt it was a stunt (the call) just to get extra days slapped onto their spring break.

This is just another example of the "only bad guys have guns" mentality.

Neplusultra

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if the Kremlin would just share all the information that they have with the public so that we could figure out what really happened?

My best guess would be that the guy was poorly CC; the staffer saw and nearly messed his pants, so the guy asked him not to go alarming people by telling them that there is someone who wishes to protect himself.
I am tending to think it was sloppy CC too. Which would explain why he said not to tell anyone. That assumes that this whole thing isn't made up by the housekeeper. But I don't want to smear her without knowing the facts.

If it was a vistor I doubt they're ever going to find him. I bet he won't be back for awhile at least :^).

ufcfanvt

imported post

I've called the various police departments and college offices down there to figure out what was said between the guy and the housekeeper. Surprise, Surprise, It's not going too well. Getting a lot of run around.
I'll stay on them. In the mean time, it would be good if several others called as well (all are in 540 area code):[size="-1"]
[/size]Chief of College Police
- D. Hogan 365-4476
College Police Officers
- 365-4444[size="-1"]
[/size][size="-1"]Franklin County Sheriff - 483-3000[/size]
[size="-1"]Franklin County Director of Public Safety - 483-3091
Dean of Student Affairs - Andrea Zuschin 365-4259
Director of Residence Education - Jason Jones 365-4461
Residence Education Professionals - 365-4607 and 365-4617[/size]

ufcfanvt

imported post

Alright. I got some info. Major Josh Carter of the Frankline Co. Sherrif's Dept called me back and would not give me much. I never found out more about the conversation with the housekeeper and I've been assured that unless the suspect is caught, I never will.

They were pretty resistant to give out info, even under the hypothetical that they never find the guy. That's alright. I kind of expected that.

He finally gave up that they know that the guy was BRANDISHING. He made it clear that the guy had the pistol in his hand, so there actually was a crime, according to him.

I have reason to be suspicious though still:

1) The Sherrif himself said in a press conference last week that the gun was NOT in his hand. Could be a day-one error, but I doubt that he would get something of this signifigance wrong.

2) At the beginning of the conversation with Josh Carter, I mentioned that he was carrying holstered and he didn't refute that at that point. Perhaps I wore him down, but again, I would hope that he would be professional enough that that's not possible.

Neplusultra

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Alright. I got some info. Major Josh Carter of the Frankline Co. Sherrif's Dept called me back and would not give me much. I never found out more about the conversation with the housekeeper and I've been assured that unless the suspect is caught, I never will.

They were pretty resistant to give out info, even under the hypothetical that they never find the guy. That's alright. I kind of expected that.

He finally gave up that they know that the guy was BRANDISHING. He made it clear that the guy had the pistol in his hand, so there actually was a crime, according to him.

I have reason to be suspicious though still:

1) The Sherrif himself said in a press conference last week that the gun was NOT in his hand. Could be a day-one error, but I doubt that he would get something of this signifigance wrong.

2) At the beginning of the conversation with Josh Carter, I mentioned that he was carrying holstered and he didn't refute that at that point. Perhaps I wore him down, but again, I would hope that he would be professional enough that that's not possible.
If this is the case then the facts are inconsistant and it sounds more and more like the housekeeper was making up a story, and changing it as time passes. There was only one witness so a day-one error is not as likely as might be otherwise. I wonder if they're going to interogate her more? The purpose being to see if her story remains consistant. Then there was the statement in the press that the suspect was wearing a T-shirt, at this time of year? Even indoors I find that odd.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual about the evidence that's been released?

rabbit994

imported post

I doubt it's making it up as just how unreliable eyewitnesses are. I was under impression that misdeminors had to be committed in presence of an officer before one could be charged with them. Even if I'm wrong, one eyewitness is going to get chewed up in court by a defense lawyer.

Most likely, police have probably given up on finding the guy and case will be come inactive. By now, even if they find this mystical guy, it's going to be he did, she saw in court. Police are going to play up the hype to make everyone feel like they are safe because that's what people want.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I agree that there's something distinctly fishy about this. I would ask that a few more people call just to look for the same information. Don't spend too long on it, just let them know that we're not happy accepting what little they give us.

Remember that they said there were cameras (not sure if that's true), but that evidence hasn't been presented to us.

If there is still a valid concern, they may have a reason not to let out a lot of the evidence, but being this tight-lipped about it means they probably have nothing.

As for me, I'll give it a week or two and call again. If they haven't found him by that time, I'll attempt and FOIA req on this. Anyone been through that process w/ local cops? PM me if so. Thanks guys.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I just reviewed the conference again from late morning after the incident. Video available here:
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7925998

Franklin Co. Sherrif Ewell Hunt said the following
Suspect made no threatening remarks. This is counter to Josh Carter's statement made to me Monday night.

Suspect did NOT point the firearm. Again, this is counter to Josh Carter's statement made to me Monday night.

I'll look further into this. It would also help if more people called about this. Phone #'s above...