• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Fairfax, VA

riegnman

imported post

I will be starting a new job with a company based out of Fairfax and I will have to travel there for a couple of weeks for training. I OC occassionally, but I CC mostly. Are there any particular hot spots that I need to watch out for?

Also, I may be in the market for a new pistol or revolver while I'm there. :celebrate Any GOOD gun shops that I could check out in the evenings possibly? I will be travelling home for the weekend, so I wont be able to go out on Sat. or Sun. to look.

BTW, I'm not asking for advice about which gun I should buy while I'm there, (although I wouldn't overlook any suggestions).;)

Thanks.

stryth

imported post

First off, welcome to Fairfax.

Thanks to state pre-emption there's not a whole lot of unusual concern. Make sure, of course that you don't break any of the state laws like the school property and courthouse laws. Also be aware when you're going on national park property. Both Shendoah and the GW parkway stand out on that front. Also watch the crossings into Maryland and DC (DC especially).

Be sure to check out the NRA museum if you get some time to. I believe it's open 10AM to 4PM M-F. A little hard to get to as a result but well worth it.

I'd recommend looking at Gilberts Small Arms down towards Lorton, and there's another tactical gear store in the next plaza which has an FFL. There's Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly but I would call them a range first and a dealer second - High prices. I'm a big fan of Loudon guns in Loudon, even though it's a few miles away.

I'd also recommend the NRA range for shooting.

Also, feel free to watch or post regarding get-togethers.

1st freedom

imported post

Welcome to Fairfax,

Blue Ridge Arsenal is on Lee Flint Rd. near Rt. 50 and Rt. 28. Open Mon- Fri 9am-9pm.Gun store and indoor range. (703) 818-0230.

You should stop by the NRA Firearms museum while your in town:lol:

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Check out Virginia Arms in southern Manassas, Guns and Ammo Warehouse just south of Va. Arms. Don't forget Quantico Arms near Potomac Mills/Dale City area.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

One of the standards as far as Southern gun shops in the area is Clark Brother's in Remington, VA.. most of us just think of it being a little south of Warrenton.

Others have already mentioned some other shops. Even though Fairfax is in (God it hurts to say it after reading that crap in the (Com)-Post), Northern Virginia, you'll find OC'ing to be pretty much a non-event. And CC'ing is a no brainer.

Good luck and enjoy. Which company are you joining in Fairfax?

riegnman

imported post

I'll be joining CGI. I am actually going to be working for CGI in Lebanon, VA. However, I have to go to Fairfax for training on infrastructure and stuff. So, Lord willing, I will be leaving Lebanon on Tuesday, March 11th, and will be in Fairfax until the 21st.

Marco

imported post

If you have time and the desire.

VCDL meeting
03/20/08 - Mason District Governmental Center Main Community Room
7:30pm - 9:30pm
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Mason District Governmental Center
6507 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003
For directions, call 703-256-8035

EDIT:
There is usuallyfellowshipbefore and after.

[/font]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You should stop and meet vaopencarry at Guns & Ammo Warehouse in Manassas.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Tess wrote:
May I ask if he is the gentleman who is a little older than the mainstream (good Lord, I hope I don't catch any flak for this) and is quite knowledgeable and affable?

If so, he spent perhaps an hour helping me pick out a holster for a K9 Kahr. He was carrying an XD at the time as I recall.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
May I ask if he is the gentleman who is a little older than the mainstream (good Lord, I hope I don't catch any flak for this) and is quite knowledgeable and affable?

Gentleman? A little older? Knowledgeable? Affable?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Ow. My sides hurt.

No, I don't think thatwas VAopencarry.

(Sorry, VAopencarry. I couldn't help myself? :))

SouthernBoy

imported post

Citizen wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Gentleman? A little older? Knowledgeable? Affable?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Ow. My sides hurt.

No, I don't think thatwas VAopencarry.

(Sorry, VAopencarry. I couldn't help myself? :))
Oh boy. Guess that puts in me in some hot water now.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Tess wrote:

If so, he spent perhaps an hour helping me pick out a holster for a K9 Kahr. He was carrying an XD at the time as I recall.

Gosh, I wouldn't know. He's certainly no older than I :celebrate:celebrate

nickerj1

imported post

riegnman wrote:
I will be starting a new job with a company based out of Fairfax and I will have to travel there for a couple of weeks for training. I OC occassionally, but I CC mostly. Are there any particular hot spots that I need to watch out for?

Also, I may be in the market for a new pistol or revolver while I'm there. :celebrate Any GOOD gun shops that I could check out in the evenings possibly? I will be travelling home for the weekend, so I wont be able to go out on Sat. or Sun. to look.

BTW, I'm not asking for advice about which gun I should buy while I'm there, (although I wouldn't overlook any suggestions).;)

Thanks.
If you're gonna be using the metro, remember that Rosslyn is the last stop in VA for Orange and Blue lines.

LEO 229

imported post

I believe Rosslyn isthe last place on the metro that you can get off before your next stop will be in DC where you will be in big trouble if you are packing a gun.

The next stop would be Foggy Bottom and that is in DC.

Here is the metro map

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Lysander

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Tess wrote:

Would that be Karl? (Bloody hell, I hope I got his name right; It's been a while since I've been to G&AW.)