View Poll Results: If your entire state lost power, would you like to have a gun handy?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Florida Power outage

Post imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/26/flo...wer/index.html

Almost the entire state is without power. How many of the citizens in Florida, and how many business owners at this moment do you think wish they had a gun?

Post imported post

On the other hand with a well, and a 10KW back up power system I would be one of the few still able to flush their toilet.

Post imported post

Wish I could say the same.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I always have a gun handy

Wouldn't be any power problems here either - well and a whole house generator with fuel for weeks.

Post imported post

With 10 acresI can do my business outside if need be, and theres plenty of firewood stacked. I do go nuts when the pwoer goes off, so does my dad- the problem is boredom LOL- plus I have freezers full of other peoples critters.

Power does not go off much here though, last time it lasted a while was a tropical storm some 4-5 years ago, and once in a while some drunk smashes a pole and the power is out a few hours.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The Island produced its own power until the late Forties and still runs the generators as peaking-generators when the heating load is the highest.

The Co-op meets tomorrow to set the new electricity rates for the first time in a couple of years. When looking at the cost of an electric load I use $0.12/kWH for a guesstimate.

Post imported post

I was working in a nuke plant all day today in Florida and we had no power outage. But I did have a gun at the house.

Post imported post

1911CC wrote:
    I was working in a nuke plant all day today in Florida and we had no power outage. But I did have a gun at the house.
    I'm trying to figure out how this would tie in to the zombie thread somehow...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    1911CC wrote:
    Use your defenselessness to lure the zombies into the reactor building, seal the door, jam the control rods, and drain the water.

Glow in the dark crispy-critters!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    1911CC wrote:
    Zombies only come out at night, sooo I'm not sure it still applies....

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Blackouts always remind me of this,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTbCNycm0nQ
    Go to 4:50 in particular and think about the systems our civilization depends on.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I spent 1 and a half years living on a sailboat anchored in San Diego harbor with no electricity by choice. I could easily do it again. Plus I have about 30-40 gallons of drinking water on my boat, so I could hold out for pretty much a month before I would have to worry about getting water from a system relying on electric pumps...

Post imported post

1911CC wrote:
    Wait, we still have nuclear plants in the US? I thought they were evil, like guns, and need to be banned.

Er, that's another discussion...

I'd tend to think of a power outage like any other natural disaster. Grab the AK, a pair of mags, and my bucket of 500 rounds on stripper clips. Need to get more mags soon, though...