• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Power outage

If your entire state lost power, would you like to have a gun handy?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sheldon

imported post

On the other hand with a well, and a 10KW back up power system I would be one of the few still able to flush their toilet.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

I always have a gun handy :D

Wouldn't be any power problems here either - well and a whole house generator with fuel for weeks.

XD40coyote

imported post

With 10 acresI can do my business outside if need be, and theres plenty of firewood stacked. I do go nuts when the pwoer goes off, so does my dad- the problem is boredom LOL- plus I have freezers full of other peoples critters.

Power does not go off much here though, last time it lasted a while was a tropical storm some 4-5 years ago, and once in a while some drunk smashes a pole and the power is out a few hours.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The Island produced its own power until the late Forties and still runs the generators as peaking-generators when the heating load is the highest.

The Co-op meets tomorrow to set the new electricity rates for the first time in a couple of years. When looking at the cost of an electric load I use $0.12/kWH for a guesstimate.

1911CC

imported post

I was working in a nuke plant all day today in Florida and we had no power outage. But I did have a gun at the house.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
1911CC wrote:
I was working in a nuke plant all day today in Florida and we had no power outage. But I did have a gun at the house.
I'm trying to figure out how this would tie in to the zombie thread somehow...

Use your defenselessness to lure the zombies into the reactor building, seal the door, jam the control rods, and drain the water. :)

Glow in the dark crispy-critters!! :)

bohdi

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
1911CC wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how this would tie in to the zombie thread somehow...
Zombies only come out at night, sooo I'm not sure it still applies....

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I spent 1 and a half years living on a sailboat anchored in San Diego harbor with no electricity by choice. I could easily do it again. Plus I have about 30-40 gallons of drinking water on my boat, so I could hold out for pretty much a month before I would have to worry about getting water from a system relying on electric pumps...

imperialism2024

imported post

1911CC wrote:
Wait, we still have nuclear plants in the US? I thought they were evil, like guns, and need to be banned.

Er, that's another discussion...

I'd tend to think of a power outage like any other natural disaster. Grab the AK, a pair of mags, and my bucket of 500 rounds on stripper clips. Need to get more mags soon, though...