• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Handgun permit

Dutch5187

imported post

Does a military ID work to satisfy the requirement for a handgun safety course to get a CHP in WV?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

It doesn't look like it. I found this from the "West Virginia Citizens Defense League":

The acceptable forms of training for a West Virginia concealed handgun license are:

1. Any official national rifle association handgun safety or training course;
  2. Any handgun safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by an official law-enforcement organization, community college, junior college, college or private or public institution or organization or handgun training school utilizing instructors duly certified by such institution;
  3. Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by a handgun instructor certified as such by the state or by the national rifle association; [or]
  4. Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by any branch of the United States military, reserve or national guard.
Among the many problems with West Virginia's concealed handgun licensing law WVCDL will be seeking to correct is that with regard to military weapons training, our law requires specific proof of handgun training, unlike several other states that accept an honorable discharge as fulfilling their training requirements. So please note that even if you are a veteran who served our country, West Virginia requires you to lighten your wallet and spend a day taking a redundant civilian handgun safety class to obtain a West Virginia concealed handgun license.

http://www.wvcdl.org/WVCCW.html

Dutch5187

imported post

Thats retarded, I've qualified with everything from a M9 Beretta to a MK. 19, and I have to take a CIVILIAN handgun safety course??

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I hear you.I have CCW permits from 3 states and each was different regarding "training." Pennsylvania didn't require any. Florida accepted my military training--even though I havebeen out of thearmy since 1977. And Minnesota required that I take a class.

On the other hand, I won't complain that the MN permit required training. I don't believe one can have too much training or education.A high level of experience, skill or knowledge of firearms, does not mean one also has knowledge of the legal issues associated with carrying or using a gun. One ought to be well-informed of that aspect of gun ownership, carry and use, whether it is a formal requirement or not. Thereare significant legaldifferences between the use of a weapon in military combatand the use of a weapon as a civilian.

I think military training demonstrates a certain level of skill* in firearm use and safety; and if that's the only kind of training required in WV then I agree with you. If the training includes legal aspects, then you owe it to yourself to take the class.

*(Although I once watched a staff sergeant unable to reassemble his M-16.)

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I think military training demonstrates a certain level of skill* in firearm use and safety; and if that's the only kind of training required in WV then I agree with you. If the training includes legal aspects, then you owe it to yourself to take the class.

My CHL course did cover legal aspects. However, that may very by instructor.

WVCDL is, or at least was working on getting military service accepted as CHLtraining. I'm not sure if its on the agenda this legislative session.

James

imported post

I just received my West Virginia concealed carry permit with my 1967 military discharge papers. It has to show you had weapons training in the military. Easy and simple.