• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College Student CHP permit, resident of VA

mirwin

imported post

I am going to be applying for my CHP very soon in Fairfax County. I am currently a student at Ohio State University but my permanent place of residency is in northern VA. When the application asks for my address, and wants me to list all address for the last 2 years, will that interfere with my resident permit in VA? I am concerned about giving addresses in OH, even though college students for things such as insurance, drivers license, etc.. are all listed at the permanent residence, even if it is in another state (usually where parents are).

nova

imported post

I think it depends on if it's on campus or not...I mean, I live on campus at my college, but I put my home address (as in, where I grew up and still LIVE when not at school) when filling out form 4473's.

EDIT: when it asks for previous addresses, I believe it is asking for permanant residencies...I've never filled out a CHP application (other than the few times I was fooling around) since I have another two years to wait so I can't say for sure.

Hopefully someone else with more experience can give a definate answer better than mine.

Olivers_AR

imported post

mirwin wrote:
I am going to be applying for my CHP very soon in Fairfax County. I am currently a student at Ohio State University but my permanent place of residency is in northern VA. When the application asks for my address, and wants me to list all address for the last 2 years, will that interfere with my resident permit in VA? I am concerned about giving addresses in OH, even though college students for things such as insurance, drivers license, etc.. are all listed at the permanent residence, even if it is in another state (usually where parents are).
If you still have your driver's license from VA, your parents claim you as a deduction for VA tax purposes, and have a voter registration card, etc. your still a VA resident. Your in school for part of the year. If you still have questions, call the Fairfax civil intake desk and they can answer any addtional questions. Enclosed is a link to the process. Somegot their permit without showing ID, see earlier thread, and expect it to take all of 45 days, which should be fairly close to when the school year ends. Bring a couple of extra copies of the firearms training cert and if you want get it notorized prior to gettting there or they can do it there.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf

Hope this helps,

--Olivers_AR

mirwin

imported post

thanks a lot, it sounds like I only need to put my home address in VA (lived for over 15 years). I am still a dependent of my parents and for pretty much everything that is the official address I put down. I didn't think I had to put my dorm address, then house address, then new apt address, etc... I'll plan on doing it this way and maybe bring it up to the people before I turn in the application. Thanks a lot for all of your help