• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tidewater March OC Dinner

C45P312

imported post

Still kinda post shy so I thought I'd just post this teaser in here:

Spent this week finishing up a new shooting table and making some target A-frames for hanging metal from and today was test day. Going to start long range shooting since blowing up so many different things starts getting boring. Started today from 300yds. and will look to eventually move out to 1000yds. Can already tell a new scope or seven will need to be procured before attempting much farther than 400yds.

Starting the day off. Just everything we chose to shoot today:

Range020.jpg

Range024.jpg

You can't tell in that pic, but 300yds. out you see this. The piece of metal is about a 14" circle of 1" thick steel or iron. The metal door on the left is almost 6' tall.

Range027.jpg

OBXMIKE

imported post

Well, you guys got a mention on Tony Macrini's (790 AM) show this morning at about 7:45! Tony'spartner in crimeDave Parker was eating at the restaurant with his family when you guys got there. Any of you guys catch that bit?

Bubba Ron

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
Well, you guys got a mention on Tony Macrini's (790 AM) show this morning at about 7:45! Tony'spartner in crimeDave Parker was eating at the restaurant with his family when you guys got there. Any of you guys catch that bit?
No Mike, what did they say?

coastie

imported post

In reference to the pictures - especially the second one.

As a former Hunter Education Instructor - one of the things we always stressed in our classes was NOT to shoot over open water. There is always the chance of a bullet hitting the water and it can (and more than likely will) bounce off the water and go anywhere. Shooting over water is like throwing a rock on water to get it to skip along the water's surface. Definitely a WRONG thing to do.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Dave noted that his daughter thought it was crazy, but he took it as a chance to explain the 2nd ammendment to her. She shot back something to the effect of "dad's preaching like he does on the radio".......Of course, Tony had to put a sarcastic spin on it......:banghead:.........but that's just how he is!

Anyway, he just described a bunch of nice, average, everyday men and women peacably dining out........while carrying firearms, of course!

Thought about shooting them an e-mail with a link to the topic.....just can't figure out how to do that (my internet-foo is not strong...)

C45P312

imported post

coastie wrote:
In reference to the pictures - especially the second one.

As a former Hunter Education Instructor - one of the things we always stressed in our classes was NOT to shoot over open water. There is always the chance of a bullet hitting the water and it can (and more than likely will) bounce off the water and go anywhere. Shooting over water is like throwing a rock on water to get it to skip along the water's surface. Definitely a WRONG thing to do.
Duely noted.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/07/mythbusters_bulletproof_water.html

Bullbuster

imported post

Being I wasn't able to make due to my truck issue. For someone who was their how about posting the names (screen names) of those in the pic so the rest of us will know who is who. Its always good to have a face with the name.

C45P312

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Being I wasn't able to make due to my truck issue. For someone who was their how about posting the names (screen names) of those in the pic so the rest of us will know who is who. Its always good to have a face with the name.
I'm the asian guy front and center, hi I'm Carlo!

coastie

imported post

Guy with the white beard is Coastie. On his left is a friend and first-timer at the meetings. On his left is Coastie's wife.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

C45P312 wrote:

Bullbuster wrote:

Hi Carlo. Welcome to this forum, BTW. I've seen your posts over on ar15.com.

I'm glad to see these dinners are attracting a good turnout. I've enjoyed the ones I've made it to, and hope I'm able to make it to more soon.

My wife and kids have been too, so if any lurkers are wondering... yes, these are family-friendly events!

C45P312

imported post

DrMark wrote:
C45P312 wrote:

Bullbuster wrote:

Hi Carlo. Welcome to this forum, BTW. I've seen your posts over on ar15.com.

I'm glad to see these dinners are attracting a good turnout. I've enjoyed the ones I've made it to, and hope I'm able to make it to more soon.

My wife and kids have been too, so if any lurkers are wondering... yes, these are family-friendly events!
Cool deal. Ya, just picked up my first black rifle and will be picking up a .308 here shortly. Don't know if I want to go bolt action or not yet. BiggiBen on ar15.com has been a huge help in steering me in the right direction thus far and hope to learn a lot from him. But ya, I'll be at more dinners and what have you see you'll be able to meet me soon I'm sure.

-Carlo

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm planning our next dinner. I'm proposing the week of 17th thru the 21st or would the following week be better, 24th thru 28th ? It will be on the peninsula. Any suggestions on the place ? County Grille, Vinney's or some place else?

Bubba Ron

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I'm planning our next dinner. I'm proposing the week of 17th thru the 21st or would the following week be better, 24th thru 28th ? It will be on the peninsula. Any suggestions on the place ? County Grille, Vinney's or some place else?
We won't be here for the week of the 24th so our vote is for the week of the 17th. County Grill as long as they have BBQ ;)