Thread: Open Carry Rifle?

Post imported post

Hey guys, new to the forum and I'm looking to have a question answered. I plan on backpacking across the country (MI to OR) and possibly into Canada, and I would like to take a means of protection vs. wild animals, and a way to get food should the need arise. The best way I know how to do this is to take my SKS rifle along - it's an unmodified Yugo SKS. I was thinking I'd just lash it onto the side of my travel pack and be on my way. I'm planning on staying out of cities, except for possibly small towns, so I don't think that should be an issue. Thoughts?

Post imported post

If you're looking to protect against animals, I'd question carrying 7.62x39. Good for humans, but I'd carry something a bit more powerful. A 12-gauge is always good, with an 18" barrel would be quite portable.

I could imagine the bulk of legal problems to be with gaming regulations. AFAIK, most states are cool (legally) with LGOC, but the police and general public may be very concerned.

Post imported post

You wont Make it into canada!! Dont even try!!

I would carry a printed off version of the state laws you plan on traveling through.

Do you have a CCP from your state check the states it will work in.

I would carry a pistol of some sort 'less attention' . plus it will be lighter,and in case you get hurt (god forbid) it will be easier to get a ride to a hospital.

Have fun !

Post imported post

All good advice I think Lucas. Thanks. I have a 380acp pistol, but no concealed carry permit, not sure I want to spend the money on one either. Thoughts?

Post imported post

Zaptoman wrote:
    All good advice I think Lucas. Thanks. I have a 380acp pistol, but no concealed carry permit, not sure I want to spend the money on one either. Thoughts?
    ...open carry? Just a thought:P

Post imported post

A web search will tell you Canada's laws. I'm thinking you need a permit for the rifle and no chance for the pistol. They got rid of all the evil pistols made after 1900 and now their violent crime rate has doubled. It is higher per capita than ours, but if you ask a Canadian they will tell you that the blood just runs in the gutters down here. For defense against bears you want FMJ for penetration. No HPs. Ace.