• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Rifle?

Zaptoman

imported post

Hey guys, new to the forum and I'm looking to have a question answered. I plan on backpacking across the country (MI to OR) and possibly into Canada, and I would like to take a means of protection vs. wild animals, and a way to get food should the need arise. The best way I know how to do this is to take my SKS rifle along - it's an unmodified Yugo SKS. I was thinking I'd just lash it onto the side of my travel pack and be on my way. I'm planning on staying out of cities, except for possibly small towns, so I don't think that should be an issue. Thoughts?

imperialism2024

imported post

If you're looking to protect against animals, I'd question carrying 7.62x39. Good for humans, but I'd carry something a bit more powerful. A 12-gauge is always good, with an 18" barrel would be quite portable.

I could imagine the bulk of legal problems to be with gaming regulations. AFAIK, most states are cool (legally) with LGOC, but the police and general public may be very concerned.

MT GUNNY

imported post

You wont Make it into canada!! Dont even try!!

I would carry a printed off version of the state laws you plan on traveling through.

Do you have a CCP from your state check the states it will work in.

I would carry a pistol of some sort 'less attention' . plus it will be lighter,and in case you get hurt (god forbid) it will be easier to get a ride to a hospital.

Have fun !

Zaptoman

imported post

All good advice I think Lucas. Thanks. I have a 380acp pistol, but no concealed carry permit, not sure I want to spend the money on one either. Thoughts?

ace1001

imported post

A web search will tell you Canada's laws. I'm thinking you need a permit for the rifle and no chance for the pistol. They got rid of all the evil pistols made after 1900 and now their violent crime rate has doubled. It is higher per capita than ours, but if you ask a Canadian they will tell you that the blood just runs in the gutters down here. For defense against bears you want FMJ for penetration. No HPs. Ace.