• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster style question

Bullbuster

imported post

WhenOCing is it better to have a holster with a snap hammer guard or just the open slide in?

I have often wondered which would be better. But when I think about different situations if I had to draw in defence and just plainOCI have pro's and con's. Currently I carry a S&W Mdl 410 .40. The holster has the strap and snap over the hammer. I practice at home on drawing (unloaded and alone in gun room)quickly in a situation if I had to. I have found that when I unsnap the strap I have to ensure its pushed far enough away so the snap doesn't catch and restrict my draw. Thats a con for me and I see the advantage of a molded fit holster thats a slip in. But take last Friday for example. I OC when the wife and I went to dinner and a movie. While waiting to be let in for the movie several young kids came up to me and asked to see my gun and played 21 questions with me about it. One tried to reach and touch it and I quickly stepped back and said "that would be a bad idea" to the kid. With that I thought about how I'm glad I have the hammer snap as it would be hard for someone to come from behind and try to snatch it from the holster. Where as if it was a slip in how easy it could be.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this and the types of holster you use for OC. Or am I just being paranoid about it.

jathompson

imported post

Have you tried Blackhawk holsters? Their Serpa holsters seem like they would serve you well. There's no retention issues (a trigger guard locks the weapon in place) and they're easy to access (with practice).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless I am using my drop-leg holster for outdoor activities, I OC in Blackhawk CQC SERPA Level II holsters. I like 'em. There are other excellent holsters that have similar features as well. If you are really concerned about retention, Blackhawk and Safariland both have level 3 holsters as well that are designed for excellent retention but easy draws without snaps and flaps getting in the way.

Bullbuster

imported post

Thanks for the info. I have a Marine Corps Exchange down the road that sells allot of holsters and such from black hawk. Most I believe are for field/ battle carry setups. May also hold out for the next gun shot to hit town and see what deals I can get.