• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USA Today front page article on the the upcoming SCOTUS case

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Making it and showing-up where, SCOTUS?

Visiting the Court http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visiting.html

Courtroom seating http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visitorsguidetooralargument.pdf

All oral arguments are open to the public, but seating is limited and on a first-come, first-seated basis. Before a session begins, two lines form on the plaza in front of the building. One is for those who wish to attend an entire argument, and the other, a three-minute line, is for those who wish to observe the Court in session only briefly. Please do not hold a space in either line for others who have not yet arrived.

Seating for the first argument begins at 9:30 a.m. and seating for the three-minute line begins at 10 a.m. The locations for these lines are marked with signs and there is a police officer on duty to answer your questions.

Visitors should be aware that cases may attract large crowds, with lines forming before the building opens. Obviously there are unavoidable delays associated with processing and seating large numbers of visitors, and your cooperation and patience are appreciated. Court police officers will make every effort to inform you as soon as possible whether you can expect to secure a seat in the Courtroom.

Groups with reserved seats should line up to the right of the three-minute line.

You will go through a security checkpoint as you enter the building and again as you enter the Courtroom. Weapons or other dangerous or illegal items are not allowed on the grounds or in the building. Please refrain from taking the following items into the Courtroom when Court is in session: cameras, radios, pagers, tape players, cell phones, tape recorders, other electronic equipment, hats, overcoats, magazines and books, briefcases and luggage. Sunglasses, identification tags (other than military), display buttons and inappropriate clothing may not be worn. A checkroom is available on the first floor to check coats and other personal belongings. Coin operated (quarters only) lockers for cameras and other valuables are available. The checkroom closes 30 minutes after Court adjourns.

We do not recommend taking infants or small children into the courtroom.

When the Court adjourns for lunch all persons must leave the Courtroom and the Great Hall. Persons attending the afternoon session must line up again on the Front Plaza to gain admission.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Making it and showing-up where, SCOTUS?

Visiting the Court http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visiting.html

Courtroom seating http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visitorsguidetooralargument.pdf

All oral arguments are open to the public, but seating is limited and on a first-come, first-seated basis. Before a session begins, two lines form on the plaza in front of the building. One is for those who wish to attend an entire argument, and the other, a three-minute line, is for those who wish to observe the Court in session only briefly. Please do not hold a space in either line for others who have not yet arrived.

Seating for the first argument begins at 9:30 a.m. and seating for the three-minute line begins at 10 a.m. The locations for these lines are marked with signs and there is a police officer on duty to answer your questions.

Visitors should be aware that cases may attract large crowds, with lines forming before the building opens. Obviously there are unavoidable delays associated with processing and seating large numbers of visitors, and your cooperation and patience are appreciated. Court police officers will make every effort to inform you as soon as possible whether you can expect to secure a seat in the Courtroom.

Groups with reserved seats should line up to the right of the three-minute line.

You will go through a security checkpoint as you enter the building and again as you enter the Courtroom. Weapons or other dangerous or illegal items are not allowed on the grounds or in the building. Please refrain from taking the following items into the Courtroom when Court is in session: cameras, radios, pagers, tape players, cell phones, tape recorders, other electronic equipment, hats, overcoats, magazines and books, briefcases and luggage. Sunglasses, identification tags (other than military), display buttons and inappropriate clothing may not be worn. A checkroom is available on the first floor to check coats and other personal belongings. Coin operated (quarters only) lockers for cameras and other valuables are available. The checkroom closes 30 minutes after Court adjourns.

We do not recommend taking infants or small children into the courtroom.

When the Court adjourns for lunch all persons must leave the Courtroom and the Great Hall. Persons attending the afternoon session must line up again on the Front Plaza to gain admission.
Are people allowed to gather outside, even though they may not get in? A large crowd that is supporting the individual right to bear arms would make an impression on the court as well as the media. In other words can they demonstrate outside the building or nearby without permits?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The Court is not even considering the 'right to bear arms.' Broadly speaking it may be considering the right to keep arms.

The Justices have gotten there by virtue of, among many other things, their ability to be influenced by only by what is on point.

This being D. C. I suspect a permit will be required.

possumboy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Yes to both. Sometimes I forget that not everyone works across the street from theSCOTUS building. :exclaim:

Not going to be there everyday. Just plan on showing up with my "Guns Save Lives" button. Which is what I do just about everyday...

Also planning on wearing my empty holster into DC during the entire period - the 1911 holster, not the sub-compact 9mm. I wonder if I could get a Serpa?:p