• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading, reloading, and more reloading

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, it's become evident that we need a thread dedicated to reloading, so here it is! Post it all here!

[and before you ask: no, I don't reload, nor do I plan on it. I just don't shoot often enough to justify reloading (yet)...]

radnor

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
[and before you ask: no, I don't reload, nor do I plan on it. I just don't shoot often enough to justify reloading (yet)...]
Given time, you will... :lol: I even went to the point of figuring out how many rounds I'd have to make to break even on the purchase of the 550B AND supplies to make them. (it was 8,000 rounds of .45 - press, bullets, powder, primers)

radnor

imported post

Jeff,

Don't know anything about the Lee. Just make sure that have a no BS warranty. I was having a primer feeding issue. Called Dillon and parts were on the way. Ready for this one???? My wife bought for me 223 dies from a store in Newark... Open them on Christmas, one die missing. Called Dilon the next day and one was in the mail! This was NOT Dillon's problem, someone opened the package and took a die.

Myopicvisionary

imported post

I use a Dillon 550 to reload the following calibers:

5.56mm NATO

7.5x55mm Swiss

7.62mm NATO

.30-06 Springfield

9mm Parabellum

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.44 AMP

.45 ACP

radnor

imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
5.56mm NATO
What components? Per my Lyman manual (#48 I think) for a 55gn FMJBT it stated Varget (BOLD listing most accurate), sucked for me. I'm using WSR, Varget, and 55gn FMJBT. I have a pound of 335 I have not tried yet. Need to work up some loads with it. I think the starting load was 24gn. I worked up batches of 10 in .2gn increments. Then with different colored markers marked my brass. I did this so I could check pressure signs and to ID my brass, etc.

sprat

imported post

I use lee reloading dies they replace at no charge any problem tooling. I am a avid reloader and I am willing to assist anyone who wishes to learn. I only use reloads at the range never in my carry pieces

RCBS, Dillion, etc are fine I prefer Lee

Sprat

OneShot

imported post

I had a gentleman in my CCDW class that said he reloads some ammo for specific distance shooting. I didn't know it could be that specific.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

OneShot wrote:
I had a gentleman in my CCDW class that said he reloads some ammo for specific distance shooting. I didn't know it could be that specific.
Distance is ultimately decided by velocity. Velocity is decided by your powder charge and bullet weight, so you can tailor several things. I was going to buy a press last Christmas, but wound up not for some reason or another...

My goal was for a certain speed that's dictated by USPA/IPSC rules -- so, get the lightest bullet with the minimum powder charge for the least recoil.

Jeff the Baptist

imported post

OneShot wrote:
If you're going to shoot match ammunition like you would for distance rifle competitions, it is lot cheaper to reload it yourself than to buy commercial ammo of that quality. Reloading gives you very precise control over bullet and charge weights. Plus if you made it yourself you know you did it right and you aren't taking someone elses word for it.

Myopicvisionary

imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
5.56mm NATO
What components? Per my Lyman manual (#48 I think) for a 55gn FMJBT it stated Varget (BOLD listing most accurate), sucked for me. I'm using WSR, Varget, and 55gn FMJBT. I have a pound of 335 I have not tried yet. Need to work up some loads with it. I think the starting load was 24gn. I worked up batches of 10 in .2gn increments. Then with different colored markers marked my brass. I did this so I could check pressure signs and to ID my brass, etc.

Right now, its a 69gr. Sierra MatchKing over 24.2grs. of IMR-4895.

Myopicvisionary

imported post

In High Power rifle competition, some load a different round for use at the 200yd line. A lighter bullet for less recoil to provide more time to steady up on the target in that dreaded standing without support position! For the 300 & 600 lines, a heavier bullet is used to fight the crosswinds better. At those ranges, you're not standing and you get to use your sling.

sprat

imported post

myopicvisionary -your very short sighted

loadings depend on the twist, ex:varmit rifles have a different twist than say a nation match and or your off the shelf ar-15. In my ar carbine I use 55gr USGI pulled with 20 gr of 3031, I like this load for my national match ar with 62 gr ss-109 USGI pulled projectiles. both loads work inconsistantly in a friends Mini-14 and ak in .223

in fact I use 3031 for 308, 30'06, 303 brit, 7.7mm jap, 8mm

sprat ( without my contacts very myopic)

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

ijusam wrote:
Does anyone know anygood local sources for reloading supplies? Or do you order online?
I'm fairly certain the only local 'sources' you'll find are gun stores... So, in your area, maybe check out Shooter's for sure. Outside of that... MidwayUSA, CheaperThanDirt come to mind for online resources.

stephpd

imported post

Ordered the Hornady lnl AP over the weekend. Backordered at all online retailers. Hard to pass up the 'Get Loaded Again' deal. 1000 free bullets cuts the cost quite a bit. Anyone who's at the next meeting that's not reloading yet I'd gladly accept the spent brass. Expecially 9mm or 45acp. Migh get a 357 so 38sp or 357's are gladly accepted. Same for 45 colt. Don't have much in long guns yet but I won't reject any free brass.;)

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

You can harvest brass at Ommelanden, no problem. I was at the range shooting and a guy was about to leave... I asked him if he reloaded and he said no, so I told him I'd police his brass if he'd let me keep them.

He was quite thankful. :)

radnor

imported post

stephpd wrote:
Anyone who's at the next meeting that's not reloading yet I'd gladly accept the spent brass. Expecially 9mm or 45acp.
I have some extra 9mm brass, how much do you want?