• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry question

southernbnb

imported post

I live in north carolina but will be visiting new jersey some time this spring. i was wondering what the laws were on open and concealed carry. does NJ have reciprocity with any other states or do they even do ccw permits? i carry just about every day and would feel naked with out my sidekick! but getting locked up several states from home is no where near worth it! thanks for any help yall can lend me!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Get used to feeling naked....

OC is strictly out of the question. You'll be a guaranteed guest of one of many local or state jails.

CC only a handful of states have any kind of reciprocity with Joisey.NC isn't one of them. www.concealedcarry.net would have the info.Even with a valid CC, you would require a NJ FOID card for a handgun, if my memory serves me right...

NJ is a very unfriendly state if you're a firearms owner.

500mag

imported post

NJ does nothonor any other state's permits. NJ does not allow OC. NJ has somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 CC permits floating around in the state. I'm pretty sure it takes an act of congress (or a large contribution to said congress members) to obtain one. What NJ does have is plenty of criminals that do CC while disregarding the law...see Camden, Trenton and Newark for details.

Sorry but while in NJ you're SOL.

junglebob

imported post

Wow, Only around CC Permits in New Jersey. Not any better than Illinois unless you are rich and well connected. Come to think of it probably worse. I don't expect New Jersey allows "fanny pack transport", this is or "fanny pack carry" is what in Illinois a 2nd or 3rd rate substitute for concealed carry is called. This is transporting ahandgun unloaded with a loaded magazine in the case with the handgun also called "6 seconds from safety". Some folks in Illinois, myself included, use fanny packs designed for firearms carry to transport handguns on our person. You do need an Illinois Firearm Owners ID card for this to be legal. Also any home rule community can have firearm transportation ordinances that could be different than the state of Illinois. Yes you might be arrested doing this as not all law enforcement are up on transportation statutes or prefer to ignor them. Not one individual convicted of Unlawful Use of Weapons (what you would be charged with if conceal carrying a loaded handgun) while "fanny pack transporting". Even the Illinois State Police website acknowledges that you can transport ammuntion in the case with a firearm, if you have a FOID card.

Usual disclaimer, I am not a lawyer, your results may vary.

hudson valley

imported post

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: to the enth.......

WheelGun

imported post

The situation you describe above (fanny pack carry) is a world away from both New Jersey law and what commonly takes place on the street in that state.

New Jersey does not issue CCWs or allow OC. There is no reciprocity with any other states. There are no shades of gray, no technicalities to get around that fact and to legally have a firearm available.

Police will confiscate legal firearms found as a result of a search of a vehicle trunk you consented to. They will hassle you if you do not consent. They will arrest you on a whim if firearms of any sort are present.

As far as the interests of our colleagues at OCDO are concerned, New Jersey should be referred to as a foreign nation.