• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg not running for president!!!!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bloomberg not running for president
By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer Wed Feb 27, 11:05 PM ET

NEW YORK - After two years of playing coy about his presidential ambitions, Mayor Michael Bloomberg declared in a newspaper editorial Wednesday that he will not run for president but might support the candidate who "takes an independent, nonpartisan approach."

The 66-year-old billionaire businessman, who aides had said was prepared to spend $1 billion to run as an independent, wrote in an editorial on The New York Times' Web site that he will work to "steer the national conversation away from partisanship and toward unity; away from ideology and toward common sense; away from sound bites and toward substance."

Bloomberg, who has almost two years left in his second term at City Hall, had publicly denied any interest in running for president since one of his political advisers first planted the seed more than two years ago.

But his denials grew weaker in recent months as aides and supporters quietly began laying the groundwork for a third-party campaign.

"I listened carefully to those who encouraged me to run, but I am not — and will not be — a candidate for president," he wrote.

Among his biggest obstacles was getting on the ballot. The process varies wildly from state to state and would have required Bloomberg to collect hundreds of thousands of signatures according to a strict timetable on which the first key date is March 5.

Beginning next Wednesday, a Bloomberg campaign would have had to begin gathering signatures to get on the ballot in Texas, which has one of the earliest deadlines.

Bloomberg underwent extensive preparation for a presidential bid. The work included mass polling and nationwide data collection to determine his viability as a candidate, as well as detailed study and preparation for a state-by-state ballot access drive.

Aides and associates had said in recent days that Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's rise in the Democratic contest against New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton was increasingly diminishing the chance that Bloomberg would run.

In the Times editorial, Bloomberg wrote that while he is not running, the race is too important for him to stay completely out.

"And so I have changed my mind in one area," he said. "If a candidate takes an independent, nonpartisan approach — and embraces practical solutions that challenge party orthodoxy — I'll join others in helping that candidate win the White House."

Putting his endorsement — and wealth — behind one of the candidates could make a significant difference. And Bloomberg, a Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-independent, has ties to Obama, Clinton and Republican Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Last November, Bloomberg and Obama met in Manhattan for a highly publicized breakfast, and the mayor has praised some of Obama's positions, such as supporting merit pay for teachers.

He also has worked closely with Clinton, his home state senator, and has a friendly relationship with McCain.

Bloomberg's friend and political ally California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has endorsed McCain, and the senator said during a Republican debate that Bloomberg had done "remarkable things" with the city's education system, the nation's largest.

VAopencarry

imported post

This was media specultion more than Bloomy actually considering running. Even a knucklehead like him knows he would have had to mobilize long ago to get on the ballot.

Welcome back Bob! Nevada???

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks! Yeah, I know, but still a relief... I can't even imagine an America with him at the helm.

Yep in beautiful Reno! My wife isa Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) and health care "travellers" get incredible pay! In fact, her pay out here on travel is more than her pay in Burke and 3/4 of my pay in Alexandria combined!

I can do the home biz from anywhere, so it just made sense. I still haven't got it fully up yet here, so I do have more time as of late. It's a 3 month contract after which she's looking for another travelling positionin Spokane Valley, Washington to spend time with her sister. If nothing's open, we'll do another 3 months here, then try for something in Spokane again.

I've been from Maine to Key West and out to Chicago, but never further west, so this is an awesome way to experience our beautiful nation!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
SNIP I can do the home biz from anywhere, so it just made sense. I still haven't got it fully up yet here, so I do have more time as of late. It's a 3 month contract after which she's looking for another travelling positionin Spokane Valley, Washington to spend time with her sister. If nothing's open, we'll do another 3 months here, then try for something in Spokane again.
Sailors never settle down. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

AbNo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
It would have been nice to see a third candidate thrown in to split up the vote, though...

I think the vote's going to be effed enough this year already. :?

I was just talking to a friend of mine last night about this, and I'm forecasting a fairly easy McCain win. I'm thinking that the polarity here in the Hillary/Obama race will either yield one of them running on a separate ticket, or the followers of the losing candidate will feel alienated and either stay home or vote for a third party... Not to mention that the alarmist global warming propaganda spread as of late should get record numbers of Democrats voting Green. As for the Republicans, I get the feeling that the vast majority will jump on the McCain bandwagon, with the few Constitutionalists/libertarians either doing the same (as damage control) or voting third party, though the latter group I can't see as very large given Ron Paul's numbers...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
It would have been nice to see a third candidate thrown in to split up the vote, though...

I think the vote's going to be effed enough this year already. :?

I was just talking to a friend of mine last night about this, and I'm forecasting a fairly easy McCain win. I'm thinking that the polarity here in the Hillary/Obama race will either yield one of them running on a separate ticket, or the followers of the losing candidate will feel alienated and either stay home or vote for a third party... Not to mention that the alarmist global warming propaganda spread as of late should get record numbers of Democrats voting Green. As for the Republicans, I get the feeling that the vast majority will jump on the McCain bandwagon, with the few Constitutionalists/libertarians either doing the same (as damage control) or voting third party, though the latter group I can't see as very large given Ron Paul's numbers...
Interesting take on it and you may be right. Most people I talk to who typically vote GOP, but "leave the reservation" for a good candidate (myself included) are saying "I don't know what I'm going to do". We don't like McCain. We don't like Obama and Shrillary more. But things are not that clear cut given that McCain is pro-amnesty and tends to sniff Kennedy's butt on a regular basis. Many would be GOP voters don't trust him on several important issues leading to a certain morass. It is much more difficult to vote against someone rather than for someone, especially when the differences on many key issues are negligible.