• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you Open Carry 2 handguns?

LRS76251

imported post

You can carry as many as you like, but why open carry 2 handguns? You'll only look like a goof with a gun. If you are going to carry 2 handguns I'd strongly suggest getting a CCW permit so that you can conceal the BUG. You can still open carry the duty sized pistol. Thats my opinion on it and probably how I'd do it but when I'm not working I don't open carry due to agency policies. Its concealed carry for me. I've got no issues with people wanting to carry 2 guns because carrying a BUG is a good idea, just don't look like a nut while doing so.

S&W 910S

imported post

yeah, i agree. Not trying to look like a nut or anything. What about extra magazines? Do people on here that open carry, also carry an extra mag/mags? Or do they just carry what's in the gun. And the 20 round rule is that per mag, or what's on your person at the time?

ufcfanvt

imported post

GOOD Question. If you have most full-sized Glocks and a BUG, you might think that you apply, but you don't.

AND, btw, it's definitely a good idea to conceal your BUG.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in
public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semiautomatic
center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple
projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and
is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will
hold more than 20 rounds
of ammunition or designed by the
manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding
stock
or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than
seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered
on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk,
public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of
whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria,
Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk,
Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax,
Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement
officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance
of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed
handgun permit
or to any person actually engaged in lawful
hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established
shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions
of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis,
to the provisions of this section.

Decoligny

imported post

S&W 910S wrote:
yeah, i agree. Not trying to look like a nut or anything. What about extra magazines? Do people on here that open carry, also carry an extra mag/mags? Or do they just carry what's in the gun. And the 20 round rule is that per mag, or what's on your person at the time?

You guys are lucky, 20 round mags, I wish.

Here in CA we can only have 10 round mags.

If I go into an incorporated area, I have to carry unloaded, so I carry two full 10 round mags and one empty 8 rounder to keep in the mag well when in incorporated areas (keeps the dirt out).

ufcfanvt

imported post

S&W 910S wrote:
So you can carry extra magazines if your OC'ing with no BUG?
Reading the law, you can open carry as many guns and as many mags for them as you like, as long as they aren't designed for
a) center-fire, semi-auto
AND
b) 21 + rounds.

YES, that means 30 round revolvers are A OK :celebrate

Decoligny

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
S&W 910S wrote:
So you can carry extra magazines if your OC'ing with no BUG?
Reading the law, you can open carry as many guns and as many mags for them as you like, as long as they aren't designed for
a) center-fire, semi-auto
AND
b) 21 + rounds.

YES, that means 30 round revolvers are A OK :celebrate

Yeah, but who wants to carry the 30 round .357 on thier hip. :what:

Or to keep it on topic, who wants to carry one on EACH hip. :shock:

revolver_1_2405.jpg

LRS76251

imported post

If you carry a semi-auto its ALWAYS a good idea to carry extra mags in case you have a mag failure. I'd carry at least 1 extra mag per weapon. You never know when Mr Murphy will strike and in the middle of a gunfight is NOT the best time. Hopefully, you'll never have to use a sidearm to defend yourself but these days you never know. Just be sensible about it and you shouldn't have any issues. Its best to blend in instead of sticking out in a crowd. The last thing gun owners need is to have a chucklehead do something that makes us all look bad. The objective is to win over those who aren't warm to the idea of regular people carrying guns around. You don't want to alienate them. You want to at least get to the point where they won't have a conniption fit when they see a regular joe carrying a sidearm and they become tolerant. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of OC, however, I don't have any problems with people doing it if they choose. Just don't be stupid about it.