• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

13 year-old killed at a gun show

PT111

imported post

I came across this from back in 2002 and thought it was worth posting again if it has already. I did find out that the boy died but I don't know if they ever determined who actually fired the shot. Make of it whatever you want to but things do happen.

http://www.wmsa.net/news/AtlantaJournalConstitution/ajc-020715_teen_shot_gun_show.htm
A fun weekend for an Alabama father and son ended in tragedy Sunday when the 13-year-old was accidentally shot in the face at a gun show in Norcross.
A single bullet from a handgun, fired at point-blank range, struck Steven Bray King in his right eye and lodged in his brain. Steven was listed in critical condition this morning after surgery at Scottish Rite Children's Hospital of Atlanta.

Steven, a rising freshman at Prattville High School in Prattville near Montgomery, was attending the gun show with his father, Anthony Grant, 38, of Montgomery.

"We were looking at holsters," Grant said at the hospital. "I was reaching to get money out of my pocket when the shot went off." Steven was standing on Grant's left side facing the counter. Grant's girlfriend, Kathi McQueen, was standing on his right side.

The shot, which spewed gunpowder residue onto the left side of Grant's T-shirt, barely missed his head and came from directly behind the counter, Grant said. He said he did not see who fired the gun.

"There were all kinds of people behind the counter," said Grant. "I was looking down, so I didn't see anything."

Steven immediately fell and did not respond to treatment given almost immediately by a physician and an emergency medical technician who were attending the show, Grant said.

McQueen, also of Montgomery, confirmed Grant's version of what happened.

Police are still investigating who was holding the gun.

"It appears to be an accidental shooting," said Gwinnett Police spokesman Ray Dunlap, who did not expect charges to be filed. "At this point, we don't know if it was a vendor's gun, but it was not a gun being exhibited on a table. It was an unfortunate discharge."

After the shooting, paramedics were summoned to treat a vendor at the show who experienced chest pains but did not have to be hospitalized, Dunlap said.

The shooting occurred about 12:15 p.m., two hours into the Eastman Gun Show, which drew thousands Saturday and Sunday to the North Atlanta Trade Center off Indian Trail Road, officials said.

Grant said he and Steven, who lives with his mother, came to Atlanta for a weekend outing.

"He's a super kid," said Grant. "A smart kid. He was an A-B student. He won a (school) science award last year."

They went to Whitewater Park on Saturday, and he and Steven had looked forward to attending the gun show, he said.

At Eastman Gun Shows, security workers at the front door check all firearms brought into the show. They attach plastic safety ties to the triggers or firing mechanisms of all guns, including those on exhibit, so they can't be fired.

Vendors, though, are allowed to carry loaded handguns for protection. They can't place the loaded guns on the table or let customers handle them, authorities said Sunday.

Allowing vendors to carry loaded weapons is "where the potential danger is," said Ron Pafford, a Suwanee resident, who attended the gun show Sunday.

"I really can't imagine how somebody else could get in there with a loaded clip," said Pafford, who grew up duck hunting with his father. "When you walk through the door, you have two officers who put a zip-tie on any gun, pistol or shotgun." Eastman Gun Shows started out in 1981 as a one-time event in Albany. Founded by Matthew Eastman, its popularity has grown to the point that 32 shows are scheduled this year, a Web site states.

The gun show closed at 5 p.m. Sunday.

Accidental shootings at gun shows are not common, but they do occur. In May, a gun dealer and his stepson were wounded in an accidental shooting at a Florence, Ala., gun show. The dealer reached for his personal handgun from a side holster when it fired, hitting him in the hand and his stepson in the leg.

Even after the shooting Sunday, folks poured into the gun show. Some arrived with handguns strapped to their waists; others carried rifles and shotguns. Khaled Eid of Lilburn had his twin, 4-year-old boys in tow.

The incident, he said, was yet another reason to "get out of a sport I have loved since I was 12."

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gun Show Accident Gwinnett, GA, police said they may never know who pulled the trigger of a gun that killed an Alabama boy at a crowded gun show on July 14, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Police Maj. Duane Kissel said both the boy’s father and a Florida holster vendor handled the gun just before it fired, striking Steven “Bray” King, 13, in an eye. But Kissel said it’s still unclear who was in possession of the gun when it discharged. “The two key witnesses were both extremely emotional over the issue,” Kissel told reporters. “The vendor himself collapsed at the scene.” Kissel said they know this much: The boy’s father, Anthony Grant of Prattville, AL, was shopping for a particular holster and stopped at a Florida dealer’s table. After Grant questioned whether the holster would fit his gun, the dealer—who police say is not a former law enforcement officer, contrary to previous witness accounts—got out his own loaded .38-caliber handgun to demonstrate. The vendor knew the gun was loaded, but the boy’s father apparently did not, Kissel said. Sometime during the exchange of the handgun between the two men, the gun discharged, Kissel said. The men have differing accounts of exactly how the gun went off; they were the only witnesses, he said. Compounding the contradicting stories, Kissel said, is the fact that some evidence was lost or destroyed at the crime scene, including the holster Grant was preparing to buy.
http://www.gunweek.com/2002/hs082002.html
[font="arial,helvetica"] [/font]
Gun show makes stop in Gainesville Shooting death Associated Press GAINESVILLE -- A traveling gun show will make its first stop this weekend since a 13-year-old Alabama boy was accidentally shot and killed at a show in Gwinnett County. Matt Eastman, president of Eastman Gun Shows, will bring his show to the Georgia Mountains Center here Saturday. Gun enthusiasts will gather for 15 hours over two days. It was at an Eastman show in Norcross on July 14 when Steven Bray King of Prattville, Ala., was shot in the head with a single bullet from a .38-caliber revolver. He died later at an Atlanta hospital. Police have said they may never know who pulled the trigger -- the boy's father or a Florida man who was selling holsters at the show. ''Nothing like that has ever happened in any gun show,'' Eastman said. ''We all pray it will never happen again.'' The Gwinnett shooting caused no policy changes at the Gainesville center, City Manager Carlyle Cox said. He said liability for the Gainesville show rests with Eastman's company, which is leasing the center. Eastman's attorney, Joe Wargo of Atlanta, said it was too early to tell what impact the shooting would have on his client. ''I don't see why it would have an impact on the gun show,'' he said. ''There's no indication whatsoever Eastman Gun Show is run inappropriately. In fact, it's to the contrary. Our discussions with police confirmed not only do they have rules in place to avoid such incidents, but the rules are enforced.'' Promoters of events like the gun show buy event insurance, including liability coverage, said Carl Rogers, vice president of Turner, Wood and Smith Insurance Center in Gainesville. He said the shooting in Gwinnett caused insurers to rethink premiums. ''It sent shock waves throughout the country,'' he said. Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Saturday, July 27, 2002. http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/072702/new_20020727022.shtml
[size="+1"][/size]
Gun show death case A gun show concession owner has been charged with the accidental shooting death of a 13-year-old Alabama boy at a gun show in Norcross last month. Gwinnett County police charged Cleveland Lewis Chaney, 57, of Obrien, Fla., with a misdemeanor charge of involuntary manslaughter. Police said Chaney owned a concession that sold holsters and related items at the gun show, where Steven Bray King of Prattville, Ala., was shot. Police said Chaney put his personal gun in a holster in a demonstration for King and his father, Anthony Grant, 38, and the gun fired. King was shot in the head with one bullet, and died later at an Atlanta hospital. Gwinnett police spokesman Ray Dunlap said police have not determined who pulled the trigger. Chaney was charged because it was his gun and because the shooting happened at his booth, police said. No other charges were pending. ''It was definitely accidental,'' Dunlap said. ''But our investigators have determined Chaney was the one responsible for death.'' -- Associated Press http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082302/met_10255291.html
Gwinnett County authorities have issued an arrest warrant for a Florida holster vendor they say was holding the gun that accidentally discharged and killed a teenager at a Norcross gun show. Cleveland Lewis Chaney, 57, of O'Brien, Fla., faces an involuntary manslaughter charge in the July 14 incident. Steven Bray King, 13, of Prattville, Ala., was struck with a single shot in his right eye. He was taken off life support the next day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite Hospital. The boy went to the show with his father, Anthony Grant, 38, of Montgomery. No charges were filed against Grant, authorities said. In a statement released by their attorney, the boy's family thanked authorities for "efforts to identify the person or persons responsible for his death. "It is also the desire of the family to see that no other innocent patrons of gun shows are killed or injured." The misdemeanor charge means that Chaney could face up to 12 months in jail, District Attorney Danny Porter, said Thursday. The case will remain in state court. "The police have made their decision," Porter said, "and that will be the way it goes." Early in the investigation, authorities had said they might never know what exactly happened because Chaney and Grant gave conflicting accounts of the incident. Now, however, they say Chaney was the owner as well as the person likely handling the gun when it discharged around 12:15 p.m. at the North Atlanta Trade Center, Gwinnett Cpl. Ray Dunlap said Thursday. The investigation, he said, showed that the gun apparently discharged as Chaney placed it in a holster that Grant was planning to buy. Chaney was charged because it was his gun and because the shooting happened at his booth, Dunlap said. "Somehow during the exchange, the gun discharged," he said. Authorities on Thursday notified Chaney of the charge. He is expected to turn himself in to Gwinnett authorities as soon as possible, Dunlap said. http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingTimes/articles/displayarticles.asp?id=2759
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]

[/font]

PT111

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
So...why is it worth posting again?
It shows that even at a gun show full of people who know how to handle guns and guidelines in place to prevent these types of thing from happening they still do. You can call it accidental or negligent or whatever you want to a 13 year old boy died and we should never forget that. It is simply a reminder that it does happen and we should make every effort to see that it doesn't again.

jkm0017

I definitely think this is worth reposting. I went to school with Bray King and he was a great kid. I didn't know him very well, but i remember when he was killed, and everyone at school was devastated. My Dad is a law enforcement officer and i was always taught how to handle guns and treat them as if they are loaded at all times. I believe that people should be allowed to carry handguns for their own personal protection only after they complete safety training and undergo background checks and annually update their training. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and people that don't know how to be safe around guns or have become complacent in handling guns are going to kill more people. it takes a complete commitment to safety from everybody to prevent incidences like this from happening again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Extreme necro post, 4 years. This may be a record.

Exceptions, very rare ones, should not determine the rule. The right to defend oneself should never be tied to the amount of training. Everyone is responsible for their actions and can be held accountable as it is.

Every negative incident in every possible scenario will never be eliminated, no matter how many laws are passed.

DocWalker

Who ever said gun shows were only attened by trained gun enthusiests. You have the wack jobs and rambos that think they know about guns but couldn't tell you how they determain the calibar of each round or what a "Clip" is. Why not call it a Magizine and not a clip?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, jkm0017.

How did you find this site, and what possessed you to dig up a 4-year old thread other than to say you knew the kid who got shot and died?

Are you sure you want to say, as in make it legally binding in a court, that X amount of training is all that is needed for someone to be considered "safe" to handle a firearm? Because that's what your statement boils down to - that after X amount of training the person is fully qualified.

There are some who believe that it is the individual's responsibility to determine how much and what type of training they get, and that each person should be responsible for their actions.

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

I believe that people should be allowed to carry handguns for their own personal protection only after they complete safety training and undergo background checks and annually update their training.

Also a psych eval, blood test for drug use, and a pinky swear to uphold the law and obey orders issued by any government employee :rolleyes:

The real answer IMHO is young people being exposed to firearms and taught how and when to use them safely. I never got that but i guaranty my son will.

Hunterdave

I definitely think this is worth reposting. I went to school with Bray King and he was a great kid. I didn't know him very well, but i remember when he was killed, and everyone at school was devastated. My Dad is a law enforcement officer and i was always taught how to handle guns and treat them as if they are loaded at all times. I believe that people should be allowed to carry handguns for their own personal protection only after they complete safety training and undergo background checks and annually update their training. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and people that don't know how to be safe around guns or have become complacent in handling guns are going to kill more people. it takes a complete commitment to safety from everybody to prevent incidences like this from happening again.

So, you don't believe in the Constitution as written????

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well, in reality, we have several times not believed in the Constitution as written. A lot of people are quite glad of that. In fact, there would be no 2nd Amendment if the Founding Fathers had believed in the Constitution as written.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the expressing of such is the only way to get feedback on why it may or may not be lasting opinion.

Daylen

Well, in reality, we have several times not believed in the Constitution as written. A lot of people are quite glad of that. In fact, there would be no 2nd Amendment if the Founding Fathers had believed in the Constitution as written.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the expressing of such is the only way to get feedback on why it may or may not be lasting opinion.

Are you referring to the federalists vs anti-federalists?

If so I must agree. A significant minority of them thought a constitution was a bad idea for the union (not necessarily for the states individually) and hence we got the bill of rights.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

For the sake of accuracy, and to continue the thread drift - The Founding Fathers did not trust the Constitution - or more precisely they did not trust themselves and their descendants to keep in mind the lofty but unstated ideals that were incorporated into the Bill of Rights.

They believed so much in the Constitution that they used one of its very provisions to change/fix/modify it instead of throwing it out and starting all over again, like they did with the earlier Articles of Confederation.

Now, can we get back to wondering why this thread was broght back from the dead?

stay safe.