• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

get a hi point

bbvk05

imported post

1. Buy a hi-point c-9. Do the mag tweeks that you find online. only load the mags to 5 rounds for the first 500.

2. Note the 2-5% failure to feed jamming that takes place anyway.

3. Call hi-point and tell them your c-9 jams to much. They will mail you a box and can mail it back to you directly. They will pay the postage and charge you nothing.

4. You will get back a gun that is as reliable as a glock, IMO, along with some free mags.

They rework everything and polish the feed ramp, and it is really well done. Hi-points are basically crap new, but if you shoot them some and have hi point rework them they are superb.

Ive done this about 6 times now with guns I intended to use as back up guns, fishing box guns and truck guns. ALL 6 have had 0, let me repeat, 0 malfunctions after getting them back from hi-point.

I even carry them sometimes. I view it as a 115 dollar glock with a little hassle.

Decoligny

imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
1. Buy a hi-point c-9. Do the mag tweeks that you find online. only load the mags to 5 rounds for the first 500.

2. Note the 2-5% failure to feed jamming that takes place anyway.

3. Call hi-point and tell them your c-9 jams to much. They will mail you a box and can mail it back to you directly. They will pay the postage and charge you nothing.

4. You will get back a gun that is as reliable as a glock, IMO, along with some free mags.

They rework everything and polish the feed ramp, and it is really well done. Hi-points are basically crap new, but if you shoot them some and have hi point rework them they are superb.

Ive done this about 6 times now with guns I intended to use as back up guns, fishing box guns and truck guns. ALL 6 have had 0, let me repeat, 0 malfunctions after getting them back from hi-point.

I even carry them sometimes. I view it as a 115 dollar glock with a little hassle.
I have a C9 and tweaked the mags, polished the feed ramp myself. It is a wonderful and reliablegun. I also took some fine sandpaper and a razor blade and removed the thin casting line from the polymer frame for comfort purposes.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Hi Points sound much like the old AMT guns, which had a saying about them:

"AMT makes good guns, they just don't finish them."

The AMT Hardballer I had (once it was "fluffed and buffed" like the KelTecs usually need) was my best 1911 ever.

Sounds like the Hi Points need the same attention and then they are good to go.

-- John D.

Decoligny

imported post

Yeah, and you cannot beat thier warranty. If anything goes wrong they fix it free of charge. If they update the design or add features, send it in and they will upgrady your gun free of charge. I know of an individual who had a really old model that he had to send in for work. They couldn't upgrade on his existing gun, so they melted the polymer frame and removed the metal serial number insert and put it into a new model frame and built him a brand new gun and sent it to him free of charge.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

i got a c9 and a 995 carbine..

carbine is great.. only have 1 range outting with them so far.. 120 rounds in the carbine and no problems, it's also very accurate (well.. at least at the 50 feet pistol range i was at) i put a ati stock on mine.. i love it but the stock hads some real heft to it so be ready for a work out.

the orginal stock is not only ugly, but it's cheap and flimsy.. and has a wax feeling.

the finish on the reciver is also very poor.

the carbine, or maybe just MY carbine.. has serious ejection and extraction problems when hand cycling.. if i go fast the bullet either does'nt extract or if it does extract it wont eject and lays in the action.. if i do it slowly it still has extraction problems.. im thinking the chamber is a little rough or maybe the ammo was a little off shape cause i had to take a cleaning rod to shove the round out a few times.. that will probably get better with time.

during firing though i had no problems with firing, extraction, ejection, or feeding.
so it's kinda wierd have all those problems hand cycling but during firing it's cherry.

really love it for the price if they had hicap mags this would be a tacticool gun.

the c9 i have had 2 jams my self.. 1 of them was intentional the other caught me by supprise.. after tightening up the grip i had no more jams.. but i only shot it about 60 times..

another shooter was with me 1st time shooting guns they had like 6 or 7 feeding malfs in about 40 shots.

they was probably limp wristing it though.. but im not sure.

the gun feeds by hand 100% so im thinking it's either limp writing was the problem or possibly the mags.. the magazines have got to be the cheapest part on the gun.. they have shitty finish and feel flimsy.

honestly they should have tried for a polymer mag or something could have probably made it higher quality then thin sheet metal.

the finish on the c9 is quite good though.. i'd consider the quality of the gun to range from good to excellent for it's price tag.

i wish it had a firing pin block because carrying one chambered would be risky without.

not that it's a very great carry gun.. no slide release and lo capacity makes it a poor tactical gun.. but running down to the store or for a car gun if you can get them reliable would make a nice investment.

the trigger on either gun are functional and not much else.

sights are good on both.. put a red dot on my carbine so i dont know if the irons was accurate but the c9 sights while easy to line up are off by miles on mine from the factory.

i had to just point-aim it to get on the paper.. and i did pretty good at 7 yards just doing that.. but using the sights i could'nt hit hte paper even at 5 yards. or if i did they was on the very edge, im not a great shot but im not that bad :p

maybe the c9 just needs broke in or something... i'll keep taking them to the range and see if i cant' work the kinks out.. might have just been limp wristing cause after i tightened up no more problems.

the carbine im stickled pink with, the c9 i'll have to wait and see but for 120 nib i wont cry to much if i can't get it 100% reliable..

jack

Banned
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
I don't think I'll get a hi point, I think I'll use the 100$ on a layaway payment on another Glock 19

I'm with you on this one bud. Cheap shitty products for washing you car is one thing, cheap shitty guns (like Hi point firearms) for personal protection is crazy. Glocks are $484 at a local shop in Raleigh,NC .They have the new Sig 250 in 9mm for $525. If you can only afford $115 for a firearm, save up and in time buy a reliable weapon. We have all had times where we had to save for something, no shame it that ! I have seen really nice used .38 revolvers at gun shows for $200-$300.Buying a inferior, poor performing weapon to save money is a really dangerous idea.

Glock, Sig, Beretta, Colt, S &W, Ruger, CZ whatever, but don't carry a Hi point for defense. They are junk.

compmanio365

imported post

jack wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
I don't think I'll get a hi point, I think I'll use the 100$ on a layaway payment on another Glock 19

I'm with you on this one bud. Cheap shitty products for washing you car is one thing, cheap shitty guns (like Hi point firearms) for personal protection is crazy. Glocks are $484 at a local shop in Raleigh,NC .They have the new Sig 250 in 9mm for $525. If you can only afford $115 for a firearm, save up and in time buy a reliable weapon. We have all had times where we had to save for something, no shame it that ! I have seen really nice used .38 revolvers at gun shows for $200-$300.Buying a inferior, poor performing weapon to save money is a really dangerous idea.

Glock, Sig, Beretta, Colt, S &W, Ruger, CZ whatever, but don't carry a Hi point for defense. They are junk.

Wow, thanks for your worthless unsubstantiated opinion..........:banghead:

Have you ever USED a Hi Point, much less even held one? I'm thinking not, and until you can prove you've shot a Hi Point and had trouble with it, your opinion is less than useless.........the idea that someone should GO WITHOUT a weapon to defend themselves with, rather than purchase a Hi Point because it costs less than some arbitrary amount, is absolute BS. I bet you're one of those guys that thinks poor people shouldn't be able to defend themselves, right? Only people who have $500 or more to plop down on the table to buy the "Glock-nade" or something similar should have the right to defend themselves, correct? Give me a f***ing break.......:banghead:

Also, this thread has been opened before and I'm not sure why it requires another.....I love my Hi Point as much as any other guy, but does it need multiple threads on the subject? We're just attracting the trolls, as you can see........:quirky

jack

Banned
imported post

I hate to break your heart friend, but that is what this board is all about, people exchanging opinions. Yes I have fired Hi pionts, a family member owns one, and a friend does as well. I believe they are the worst quality firearm ever made, and would suggest someone buy a used revolver at a gun show for $200-$300 or a $165 Makaroff before stooping to a level of a low quality Hi-point.

With respect to "worthless opinions" , Ifind you rather amusing from an intelligence level quite frankly. Why you get so upset because the whole world doesn't love Hi-points is beyond me. It demonstrates a level of self confidence and self esteem that is troubling. Ever thought of getting therapy ?

Decoligny

imported post

jack wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:

If they were indeed cheap shitty guns, then BeeMiller (Hi-Point Manufacturer) would have gone out of business by now. What with thier NO QUESTIONS ASKED 100% FOR ANY REASON AT ALL Fix or Replace Warranty. If they were cheap shitty guns, they would waste more money repairing/replacing weapons than they make selling the weapons.

The Hi-Point C9 is an affordable and veryreliable weapon that takes a tiny little bit of effort (1/2 hour to 1 hour max) to tune when first purchased. It is just as accurate as any weapon that I have had the opportunity to fire (Glock, Beretta, S&W, H&K, Ruger)

Sure, it's not a "pretty" weapon, but I don't give a S&!t if the BG likes my fashion sense or not.

I own a C9. I have run just under 1,000 rounds through it to date. The first time out, I had a couple of failures to feed. I then tightened theguide tabs on the top of the magazines and polished the feedramp. Since then I have had no, ZERO, 0, not a single problem with the weapon.

The Hi-Point is a top notch performer at a reasonable price. I would and do trust my life with a Hi-Point.

Decoligny

imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:
...the c9 sights while easy to line up are off by miles on mine from the factory.

i had to just point-aim it to get on the paper.. and i did pretty good at 7 yards just doing that.. but using the sights i could'nt hit hte paper even at 5 yards. or if i did they was on the very edge, im not a great shot but im not that bad :p

maybe the c9 just needs broke in or something... i'll keep taking them to the range and see if i cant' work the kinks out.. might have just been limp wristing cause after i tightened up no more problems.

the carbine im stickled pink with, the c9 i'll have to wait and see but for 120 nib i wont cry to much if i can't get it 100% reliable..

As far as the sights being off, get a small screw driver and adjust them. Mine was off by about 3 inches at 50 feet. A couple of adjstments and I was getting my groupings right where I was aiming.

jack

Banned
imported post

So I guess you don't think there are any manufacturers still in business that make poor products ?

LOL

I hope you are an enlisted guy, deductive reasoning is not a talent God gave you.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

i know they can be adjusted.. infact there is a little tool that comes with the gun which has a flat head on one end.

these sights are'nt a little off.. infact if htey was a little off i might not have ever noticed.. the problem is they are way way off.. not even hitting paper most of the time at 5 yards kinda off. thats about 15 feet.. pretty damn bad imo.

i have a feelign they was simply put on the gun without any kind of alignment at the factory.

not really any excuse for it imo other then sloppy work.

i dont even have a pistol vice or anything i am highly hesatent to do anything other then roughly align them by hand.

Decoligny

imported post

jack wrote:
So I guess you don't think there are any manufacturers still in business that make poor products ?

LOL

I hope you are an enlisted guy, deductive reasoning is not a talent God gave you.
Deductive reasoning is one of my strong points. I just don't jump to conclusions based on a singlepoint of data.

I am a civilian and have tutored 3 people throughto the completion of thier Master's degree programs.

There are plenty of manufacturers that produce crap, most of them rely on first time buyers who will never buy another thing from them, because they won't have repeat business. These companies stay in business because there is no shortage of fools willing to try a crap product based on flashy advertising. These companies however never havea 100% no questions asked fix or replace warranty.

It's simple mathamatics, if you buy a $115.00 weapon that cost the manufacturer $50.00 to make, and they sell you crap,you send it back for replacement. Thier profit just went from $65.00 to $15.00. If the replacement is crap, and you send it back, then they have just gone$35.00 in the red. A business can't stay afloat like that.

I will admit thatHi-Point doesn't manufacturea precision piece of machinery,the tolerances are loose, but then again so are the tolerances on an AK-47, but it has been a very effective weapon for over 60 years.

The Hi-Point is nota Kimber, but then again a John Deere tractor isn't a Ferrarri either. However, I challenge you to put your Ferrarri type gun in a pan full of water, freeze it for a week, beat it against a table till all the ice falls out of it, and fire a 100 rounds through it. A member of the Hi-Point forum did this with his C9 and it functioned flawlessly, kind of like an AK would if you dropped it in the mud.

BeeMiller produced about 80,000 handguns last year. They consitantly make a profit, and they have been in business since 1993. They are constantly improving thier products, and they will upgrade older models to include all the improvements, free of charge.

My father bought aFord back in the 70's. It ran like crap, was constantly breaking down, andbasically sucked as an automobile. I know that Ford makes reliable products overall, but occasionally a lemon get through.

Maybe theones your friend and relative bought were lemons. Did they have problems with the Hi-Points? Did they send them back to be fixed? Or were they perfectly satisfied with them and you just thought they were crap?

ChinChin

imported post

I love Hi-points! They're the best throw down gun 100 bucks can buy.:lol:

ETA: in order to avoid violating the COC, I should point out that I am of course, kidding. hence the laughing smily.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Ya know, it's the chickenshit pissing matches like this that make me want to just leave the forum...I see it happening in almost every topic now. I understand that its a forum and that makes it a hotbed of opinion. But if you can't keep it civil, mature, and on topic, then go join a mall ninja forum or something of that line of idiocy.
Thats it, I'm out.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can't make any decison on any NEW gun's reliability -- or declareit's a POS or not -- until it's been broken in, so give itsome time (200-300 rounds) before you label itcrap! Personally, Ibreak a new gun inbefore I even shoot it, but that's just me and it isn't absolutely necessary (and a while back I found out I'm the only one here who does that anyway).

I have two guns people often label "jam-o-matics" (they aren't) but most all of those people never evenowned one of these guns themselves, or even shot one...they just repeat what they read or heard someone else say. Parrots abound in gun forums.

Yes, magazines cause plenty of problems...it may not be the gun itself. Or it could be bullet type/style.

So give a new gun some range time first before drawingany negative conclusions about it.

And as mentioned already, if it DOES need attention, send it back to the factory for same. After all, it's on warranty but really, if the manufacturer doesn'tknow what's wrong with and/or how to fix their own products, no one does.

-- John D.

swillden

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Personally, Ibreak a new gun inbefore I even shoot it, but that's just me and it isn't absolutely necessary (and a while back I found out I'm the only one here who does that anyway).
How do you do that? Manually cycle a couple hundred rounds through it?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, I do not cycle live rounds through it in order to avoid the dreaded "bullet setback syndrome" which is not good!

But youARE correct about the cycling part: IOVER-OIL the gun and rack the slide at least 500 times (sometimes 1000)...as I sit there watching TV and before I know it, in just a few minutes, it's done. ThenI do the "trigger/sear" break-in routine about 200 times. THEN, I disassemble the gun, clean off the dirty oil (usually gray in color), relube it (oil and grease where each is appropriate), and it's ready for the field-testing. Basicaly, all I want to do is some "wear-polishing" to remove any burrs onany ofthe moving parts.

I still shoot it but I don't have to shoot it several hundred times as I would with a new gun that I hadn't "prepped," just enough (maybe 20-30 rounds) to check out the magazines and ammo I'm using for any feeding problems, get acquainted with the sound/recoil, and see where the sights are aimed at compared to where the bullet is hitting (if the gun has fixed sights). I don't shoot paper and measure groups, I only care about reliability and combat accuracy, so my gun "orientation" time in the field is minimal.

Later on, I take a Dremel and polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish, but that's really not necessary, I just like to polish up the cartridge's path "just in case," especially if I will be using HPs in the gun.

That's about it.

-- John D.