• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

get a hi point

bbvk05

imported post

Your C-9 problems are most likely the mags. you can easily find tweeks online and it will probably make it run 100%. either way you should send both your guns back to hi point to have thier issues looked at. you wont regret it.

AbNo

imported post

Actually, my 995 just came back on Monday.

Well, the serial number plate came back. :D

I got a new EVERYTHING, as if it had been purchased new.

They also returned my note requesting service. You know, the one where I said essentially "Hey, I effed up the finish doing something I shouldn't have. Can you fix it?"

At the bottom, handwritten in red pen....

"Hi we went over your gun and did all new upgrade
Test shot 20rds done good Thank you."

Now I have to re-adjust the new sights. Think I might put a spot of day-glo paint on the front sight while I'm at it. :celebrate

tju1973

imported post

jack wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
I don't think I'll get a hi point, I think I'll use the 100$ on a layaway payment on another Glock 19
I'm with you on this one bud. Cheap shitty products for washing you car is one thing, cheap shitty guns (like Hi point firearms) for personal protection is crazy. Glocks are $484 at a local shop in Raleigh,NC .They have the new Sig 250 in 9mm for $525. If you can only afford $115 for a firearm, save up and in time buy a reliable weapon. We have all had times where we had to save for something, no shame it that ! I have seen really nice used .38 revolvers at gun shows for $200-$300.Buying a inferior, poor performing weapon to save money is a really dangerous idea.

Glock, Sig, Beretta, Colt, S &W, Ruger, CZ whatever, but don't carry a Hi point for defense. They are junk.
Have you ever had a Hi Point? I have a had a CF380 (my second pistol) hat was stolen from my truck, a C9 I sold to a coworker for what I paid for it-- $125, and stil have a 995B-- which is one of the most fun shooters I have ever had...
Beemiller gets it when it comes to guns. Make 'em cheap, make them reliable, make them fun.
Are they Kimbers? Nope-- don't claim to be. They are a good reliable gun for people that cannot afford the pricy guns. Do not ever underestimate the need for the masses to have access to firearms-- especialy affordable ones.
I have 4 kids, a wife, and an ex. I live in suburbia. I cannot afford pricey guns.
For instance--- the only one of my guns that was over $300 was my SA XD45. The rest?
Marlin 60-- about $100 twenty years ago. Mosin Nagant M44-- $100. (2) Type 53 $35 each. Raven MP25 $50. Jennings J22 Free. (2) Jiminez JA22 1 for $100 1 for $25. Rohm RG10 $35. Rossi M62 $100. HP995 $150. Super COmanche $135...
See the trend? I am almost 35 and can only afford guns that are cheap in price-- they all shoot well and are fun...
Plus they protect me and my family.
I did buy wife a Pink Taurus PT111 for $379... but that is hers...
HPs are great.
You can never convince me otherwise.:)

SickTag

imported post

I bought a hi-point 9mm. Very good price and so far is pretty reliable. I am surprised that the gun is as good as it is. Even though I would have wanted a Glock, I am very happy with the hi-point so far, also it seems to have a lifetime warranty. Like Deco said, you just cannot beat the warranty. A guy at the gun store yesterday said he wrote hi point asking about a new slide and they sent him one and a new spring free. :shock:

AbNo

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Now I have to re-adjust the new sights. Think I might put a spot of day-glo paint on the front sight while I'm at it. :celebrate

This actually turned out to be untrue. It was already sighted in for 50 yards. :shock:

Decoligny

imported post

They are definitely accurate. I went out to a shooting area (desert) yesterday, and someone had left a bowling pin on top of a post at about 50 yards. First shot with my C9 took it down. That's the equavalent of a 150 foot clean kill head shot, with a pistol.

I LOVE MY HI-POINT

unreconstructed1

imported post

I'll say this about Hi points. My wife bought me oneused ($50) for valentines day, because she knew that I was about to get my carry permit. I go for my permit class next month, and not wanting to risk taking an unknown gun to the class with me, I tested it out. I havent fired a pistol in several years, but I picked up this black polymer framed brick that everyone talks so much B.S. about, and I began to shoot. this cheap, ugly, often talked about brick actually fired, and fired well. my Dad took kold of it and fired it as well. my dad then offered my 100 dollars right then for it, he was that impressed. I was so impressed with its performance, that I went and bought mea holster for it.

I love my C9. say what you want about them, but for $50 I got a used gun that cycles and fires as well as a new Glock. so you can save all the money you want for another Glock, meanwhile I'll take teh extra 400 dollars that I didn't spend and by ammo. If you buy one that doesn't perform well, send it in for repairs. if it still doesn't keep sending it in until its right. If you don't want one because it's cheap..:cry:then thats your business as well.

Oh, and by teh way, Hi yall, I'm new here.... :D

MattW

imported post

I'd draw the line at buying guns that rattle when you shake them.

AbNo

imported post

MattW wrote:

Yes, yes, that's nice.

I think we've heard enough from people that have never used them providing us with useless, uninformed posts in this thread.

Anything constructive, helpful, or informative to add, Matt?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

MattW wrote:

So I guess you'll never buy an AK-47 type either, right? Those dang rattling rifles aren't reliable anyway. :?

A lot of you have mentioned owning or shooting a C-9 (9mm), but does anyone have any experience with the 40SW-B (.40 cal)? I've toyed with the idea of picking one of these up, but I'd want to stick with my caliber of choice.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I'm sure the 40's are equally reliable. I don't have one cuz thats just another caliber I have to lay out $$ for. Same frame and slide as the .45 I believe, just different chamber/barrel combo. Same goes for the 38 and 9mm; same frame/slide, different chamber/barrel.

MattW

imported post

AbNo wrot
Yes, yes, that's nice.

I think we've heard enough from people that have never used them providing us with useless, uninformed posts in this thread.

Anything constructive, helpful, or informative to add, Matt?
Useless, uninformed? You claim i've never used them, when I infact have. I'm not the one assuming things, and throwing out baseless accusations.

So yes, we've heard enough from your kind.

So I guess you'll never buy an AK-47 type either, right?
More of an AR-15 guy :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm developing a theory I need more experience to validate.

There is a saying about cars: fast, cheap, realiable -- pick two. I think the meaning of that is pretty obvious.

It seems that in regards to firearms that could be amended to: tight/extremely accurate, cheap, reliable -- pick two.

It seems that the tighter the firearm (and usually therefore the more accurate and consistent) the more expensive. The glocks and XDs are not particularly tight. There is some frame/slide play. Shake them loaded or empty and they rattle around a bit. But you can beat the snot out of them, run them over, drop them in mud, freeze them in water, and just pick them up, shake them off, verify the barrel is clear and shoot the heck out of them with no reduction in reliability. Same with an rattling AK.

I know several people who have had to send their Kimbers back after break in for tweaking to make reliable. They are great guns and quite accurate, but they cost a lot more than Glocks/XDs and I don't think they will tolerate the same level of abuse.
If I had to make a 25yd+ headshot I would rather have a Kimber or Wilson Combat 1911, preferably a 5". But if I have to crawl through mud and water, be out in the elements a lot and not have a cleaning kit available for some time I'll take my rattley ol' XD over either. I can just clean my XD in any non-ammonia household cleaner and oil it with WD-40 and motor oil in a zombie scenario.

I have shot a few Hi Points and besides the fact that they are ugly, I have no issue with them and I don't know how the above translates to them as far as abuse absorbing. And I just used Glocks and XDs as examples because I have the most familiarity with their abuse quotient. And that isn't to say that Glocks/XDs/AKs cannot be made much more accurate. Do a good trigger job on an XD, have a match grade barrel fitted and installed, have the slide fitted to the frame and it is much improved. But again, now you have exceeded the "cheap" part of the equation as you now have an $1000 XD.

Just a theory/thought I am fleshing out that threads like this has led me to.

iroc192

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm developing a theory I need more experience to validate.

There is a saying about cars: fast, cheap, realiable -- pick two. I think the meaning of that is pretty obvious.

It seems that in regards to firearms that could be amended to: tight/extremely accurate, cheap, reliable -- pick two.

It seems that the tighter the firearm (and usually therefore the more accurate and consistent) the more expensive. The glocks and XDs are not particularly tight. There is some frame/slide play. Shake them loaded or empty and they rattle around a bit. But you can beat the snot out of them, run them over, drop them in mud, freeze them in water, and just pick them up, shake them off, verify the barrel is clear and shoot the heck out of them with no reduction in reliability. Same with an rattling AK.

I know several people who have had to send their Kimbers back after break in for tweaking to make reliable. They are great guns and quite accurate, but they cost a lot more than Glocks/XDs and I don't think they will tolerate the same level of abuse.
If I had to make a 25yd+ headshot I would rather have a Kimber or Wilson Combat 1911, preferably a 5". But if I have to crawl through mud and water, be out in the elements a lot and not have a cleaning kit available for some time I'll take my rattley ol' XD over either. I can just clean my XD in any non-ammonia household cleaner and oil it with WD-40 and motor oil in a zombie scenario.

I have shot a few Hi Points and besides the fact that they are ugly, I have no issue with them and I don't know how the above translates to them as far as abuse absorbing. And I just used Glocks and XDs as examples because I have the most familiarity with their abuse quotient. And that isn't to say that Glocks/XDs/AKs cannot be made much more accurate. Do a good trigger job on an XD, have a match grade barrel fitted and installed, have the slide fitted to the frame and it is much improved. But again, now you have exceeded the "cheap" part of the equation as you now have an $1000 XD.

Just a theory/thought I am fleshing out that threads like this has led me to.

Buy American.

Buy American.

Shake them loaded or empty and they rattle around a bit.
Full clips (especially 10 round clips) are known to shake when full and one in the hole.

Never, ever, ever compare a Geo to a Cadillac.
You get what you pay for, and don't tell me you'd pick a hi point over an M&P any day.

For carry, forget about it.

Gun dealers call them babies toys because they rattle while shaken and no clip.
No amount of gunsmithing will change the fact that they are not made out of steel/stainless.

Why would you choose a glock/xd (XD is a wal-mart gun) to a famous ww2 gun when throwing the elements at them?

I mean, I most certainly don't like glocks all that much, but I'd buy one over an XD any day. And yes, the slide does play after about 10 years its about to get its third spring.
Go figure.

AKs don't rattle, none of the ones I saw. But again, I'm actually reading and replying to a thread where people think that paying ~120$ for a new gun is acceptable.
That rattling is acceptable.
That anything slightly less than satisfactory is acceptable.
That sending a gun back 2-4 times is acceptable.

It's not acceptable.

Send a kimber back after break in to be more reliable? <-This doesn't even make sense. At all.
Hi, this is my corvette. It has 10k miles on it I'm bringing it back so you can make it more reliable.

WTF?

unreconstructed1

imported post

i really don't understand the logic in "its only 120 dollars, so I wouldn't buy it". I have an HP and it does quite well. I fully plan on using it for carry and I wouldn't think twice about it. If I can't afford the money to buy a glock or XD should I not be able to defend myself? I also have a Lorcin and a phoenix. I haven't paid more than 100 dollars for a pistol in my life. my Lorcin cost me 50 dollars, and I would use it to defend my life. my Phoenix cost me 75 dollars and I will use it to defend my life.

If you don't like them, don't buy one. but to suggest that they are any less capable of doing their job than any other gun, well that is a lie.

I take my HP shooting every other weekend and it consistently throws the lead downrange. same with my Lorcin, and my phoenix. they may not be as pretty as some of the other guns, but I have never seen teh results of teh ballistics test that suggests that an ugly gun is any less lethal

iroc192

imported post

Hi point has a larger profile and print than most guns.

The feel of the gun (I'm a serious gun guy, of all types) triggers a feeling of sloppy to near unsafe feeling about it in my brain.

I would never shoot one, nor would I want someone next to me shooting one in my vicinity.

It is crying for somthing wrong with it, for it to break, jam, fail, etc.

There are far more guns that are capable of doing what the hi point does and more.

You
get
what
you
pay
for.

MattW

imported post

If I can't afford the money to buy a glock or XD should I not be able to defend myself?
Don't get so dramatic over it, noone here is pushing for the company to be shut down.

Decoligny

imported post

iroc192 wrote:
Hi point has a larger profile and print than most guns.
Wow, didn't realize that this was ConcealedCarry.org. When I OPEN CARRY my Hi-Point C9 I never worry about its profile or whether or not it is printing.

iroc192 wrote:
The feel of the gun (I'm a serious gun guy, of all types) triggers a feeling of sloppy to near unsafe feeling about it in my brain.
As opposed to a comedic gun guy? Just because someone likes a gun that you don't doesn'tmake them any less serious about guns than you are. And as far as the feel,if you don't like it, fine, then don't buy one. It happens to fits my hand perfectly.

iroc192 wrote:
I would never shoot one, nor would I want someone next to me shooting one in my vicinity.
Then let's hope we never show up at the same range at the same time.

iroc192 wrote:
It is crying for somthing wrong with it, for it to break, jam, fail, etc.
This is usually where someone chimes in with "My brother knows a guy who's friend had a Hi-Point Explode in his hand, took it clean off at the wrist."

Hi-Point hasn't been shown to be any more likely to break than a Glock, or any other firearm.

iroc192 wrote:
There are far more guns that are capable of doing what the hi point does and more.

You
get
what
you
pay
for.
And there are far more trucks that are capable of doing what the Ford F150 does and more.

If you need a reliable inexpensive truck, you pay what you have to for what you need.

If you need the capabilities of a good reliable reasonably priced truck, you don't go out and spend $70,000 on a tricked out specialty truck.

You sometimes get great things for reasonable prices, but You don't always get what you overpay for.

iroc192

imported post

There is a difference between a ford and a truck that should have a "As seen on TV!" sticker on it.