• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hostile amendment to open carry bill

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Well Rep. Urquhart is really showing his true colors now.

He has proposed an amendment to Oda's HB 473 that would codify that firearms must be kept concealed on school premises. ALL of them, including day cares and grade schools, as well as colleges. No more permitted open carry to vote if your polling place is in a school.

Violation is an infraction. Inadvertent, unintentional, or accidental exposure would not count,but are not defined. I'm guessing too short of a jacket or "casually concealed" would be a tell defense to make.

http://le.utah.gov/~2008/pamend/hb0473.hfa.01.htm

Please contact your rep and oppose this amendment. If you live in Urquhart's district in St. George, or have family or friends who do, please ask them to contact Urquhart and POLITELY voice their disagreement with this position.

Imagine the college requiring gay or jewish students and faculty to "stay in the closet". So why mandate that gun owners remain in the closet?

Charles

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This amendment goes completely against why AG Shurtleff helped write the bill. He has unofficially opined that open carry is permitted! I've contacted my Rep, I hope all will do the same!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Rep. Oda should be willing to kill this bill if this is adopted. The current law is clear by it's lack of prohibition that open carry of a loaded pistol is legal with a CFP.

colormered

imported post

My representative just got my email expressing my disdain for this amendment. And, as is altogether fitting and proper, this makes seven in the last four months. Earlier emails requested legislation reversing an existing (and unfavorable) gun law. I was very surprised (and thrilled) to get a response informing me that after conferring with another representative, the gears are turning to get this bill before the House.

Speak up and speak out!

ColorMeRed

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

FAR worse than I first thought. At first blush this amendment seems to only prevent OC in schools. But it goes WAY beyond that.

Even with a permit, open carry would be illegal on or within 1000 feet of any private or public school, or in or within 1000 feet of "those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school." References below. Put in brief, this amendment stands the current law on its head. Currently a person with a permit can legally OC virtually ANYWHERE in the State other than clearly posted off limits locations. NO PROSECUTOR or cop has ever been able to find a single statute to the contrary. But with this amendment in place suddenly huge areas of the State become illegal to OC even with a permit. How many places in urban areas are NOT within 1000 feet of a school? Want to take your gun for an open carry stroll to the park only to find out that the local grade school has reserved the pavillon that day and everything within 1000 feet is now off limits? This amendment must be defeated. Winning on HB 473 is nice, but not essential this year, IMO. Letting this amendment pass would be catastophic.

The amendment reads in relevant part:

The permittee shall conceal the firearm on the permittee if carrying it on about school premises under Subsection 76-10-505.5(3)(a)
Here is existing code:

[size="-0"]76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).[/size] [size="-0"][/size] And the definition given in 76-3-203.2(1), which is the only logical definition to use for "school premises" if this amendment passes is: 76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
(1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
(i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
(ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
(iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
(iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
(v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).

Charles

ATVjunkie

imported post

Anyone care to post a copy of the e-mail that you sent? It might be helpful for those of us who are not quite as well versed or eloquentin these matters.

It would probably be more effective than sending something that goes like this...

"What are you out of your f***ing mind!?! Vote NO on this amendment!":what:

Anything more appropriate would be appreciated.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ATVjunkie wrote:
Anyone care to post a copy of the e-mail that you sent? It might be helpful for those of us who are not quite as well versed or eloquentin these matters.

It would probably be more effective than sending something that goes like this...

"What are you out of your f***ing mind!?! Vote NO on this amendment!":what:
Maybe that would work better! :p

Here is the e-mail I sent to my Representative...

Rep. Painter,

I am writing you as a resident of your district to ask you to OPPOSE Rep. Stephen Urquhart's amendment to Rep. Curtis Oda's HB 473. This ammendment would codify that firearms must be kept concealed on school premises.

This, of course, is the exact opposite of what HB 473 was drafted for, and a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution. Lets not forget Article 1, Section 6 of the Utah State Constitution. ANY legislation to further restrict lawful firearm owners only serves to infringe on the rights of the law abiding.

It is the unofficial opinion of Attorney General Mark Shurtleff that Concealed Firearm Permit holders do not have the duty to conceal, only the privilege. Please OPPOSE Rep. Stephen Urquhart amendment to HB 473.

Thank You!
And here is the email I sent to Representative Curtis Oda...

Rep. Oda,

I am writing you in regards to Rep. Stephen Urquhart amendment to Rep. HB 473. This amendment has the exact opposite effect of what we gun owners had hoped for. If this amendment is allowed to be attached, it will effectively criminalize open carry on or about school premises.

As an avid open carrier, it would be nearly impossible to chart and track the 1000 foot perimeter around every school in my area. While I do have a concealed Firearm Permit, the very idea of hiding my weapon makes me feel like I am doing something wrong.

If this amendment is allowed to pass, please consider withdrawing HB 473. The de facto legality of open carry is far better than further restriction.

Thank You!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Thanks, Sgt. Very nicely done.

Guys, unless you want to lose the ability to OC at any school in the State you need to contact not only your own Reps, but also your Senator, and then leadership in both houses. The Speaker and Senate President have a LOT of pull.

If you are a GOP delegate, simply say so. If not, and you are planning to be elected one this March, mention that you are going to be seeking a delegate spot. Do NOT make any overt threats about voting against anyone. Simply make clear that you are a constituent and delegate (or plan to be a delegate) in those cases where you can honestly do so. In other cases, simply note that their vote affects the entire State and therefore you'd like them to consider your opinion. Get family and friends to send emails.

You can literally cut and paste so long as the subject line is clear: "Please vote NO on Urqarhart's amendment to HB 473," and the salutation is correct.

Emails are the first step. Those who are serious, need to also make some calls this weekend to homes. Be VERY polite and simply ask them to vote no on Urquhart's amendment.

Full contact info can be found at <http://www.goutahorg.org/> and clicking on "Legislative Contacts." It includes home phone numbers.

If you get a machine or a spouse, just leave a brief message and ask for a call back.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Utah Shooting Sports Council URGENT ACTION ALERT 2/29/08
Immediate action required- GUN RIGHTS THREATENED!

--- Background on HB 473 (Firearms Amendments)
--- IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
--- (1) Call, FAX or Email YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IMMEDIATELY!
--- (2) Pass this alert to other gun owners!
--- SUGGESTED FAX/ PHONE MESSAGE/ EMAIL Message

RESTRICTIONS ON LEGAL SELF DEFENSE GUNS MUST BE STOPPED!
Once again, the anti-gun extremists from the University of Utah are
trying to restrict legally carried self defense weapons. They now
make the absurd claim that a CWP REQUIRES you to CONCEAL a self
defense gun, and that it must never be seen. There is NO, repeat NO
prohibition on “open carry” by CWP holders in Utah law, as far as we
can tell.

Pro-gun Representative Curt Oda introduced HB 473 (“Firearms
Amendments”)to clarify this important point, and it passed a House
Committee by a vote of 9-0.

However, Rep. Steve Urquhart (R- St. George), chairman of the
powerful Rules Committee, and Speaker of the House Greg Curtis (R-
Sandy) have been fighting every pro-gun rights bill this session,
effectively blocking "parking lot" reforms and "Katrina gun seizure"
safeguards.

Urquhart has an amendment to HB 473 which twists HB 473 into a BAN on
visible legal self defense guns!

WE MUST GET HB 473 PASSED IN ITS CURRENT FORM!

WE MUST STOP URQUHART’S AMENDMENT WHEN IT COMES UP IN THE HOUSE!
Urquhart and his anti-gun pals will try to ram this through during
the chaos of the last three days of the session (Monday, Tuesday and
Wednesday).

TWO IMMEDIATE ACTION STEPS REQUIRED:

1. Phone, FAX or email YOUR Representative IMMEDIATELY! DO THIS NOW-
AND ALL WEEKEND!
2. Pass this alert to all your friends interested in gun rights.

CONTACTING LEGISLATORS
They are busy, and don't need a long discussion, just a point or two
from those in the suggested email below. Be VERY polite, and do not
call after 9:00 PM. Phone calls are best, FAX is good, and emails
least effective, but they all count. Do all three if you like, and
to as many members as you can. Keep trying all weekend and on Monday
until you get through to them. Contact YOUR representative first,
then Speaker Curtis and Rep. Urquhart and then any other
Representatives.

To identify your Representative and get their phone and email address
use this handy map tool: http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/DistrictInfo/
NewMaps/State.htm

If you already know your Representative’s name, you can get their
contact info here:
http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/members2005/membertable2add.asp
If you cannot get through to your Representative’s phone, then leave
a message
at the House switchboard (801) 538-1029.

Send a FAX to your representative at the Capitol,
FAX for Republican representatives: 801-326-1544
FAX for Democratic representatives: 801-326-1539

SUGGESTED FAX/ PHONE MESSAGE/ EMAIL (cut and paste into your email
form):
- - - - - - - - - - -
Subject: SUPPORT HB 473 (Firearms Amendments) with NO CHANGES!

Dear Representative ___________ [insert name]

I urge you to vote YES on HB 473 (Firearms Amendments) as presented
by Rep. Curt Oda WITHOUT CHANGES. This is an important clarification
of a gray area of the law.

I urge you to vote NO on any AMENDMENTS to HB 473, for the following
reasons:

1. There are plenty of laws against people other than permit holders
having guns on campus, threatening others with weapons, and violent
criminal acts. Paranoid fears that the sight of legally carried self
defense gun may incite panic are flimsy excuses.

2. Amendments to this bill are just another attempt by the
Universities to impose their demands for a campus-wide ban on LEGALLY
carried self defense weapons.

3. Implied threats from the University of Utah to resume federal
lawsuits are reprehensible, and Legislators should not be intimidated
by them.

4. Far from making campuses safer, this bill only infringes on self
defense by the good guys, making campuses more attractive to criminals.

5. Existing laws cover violent criminal acts, threatening others with
weapons, and restrict carrying legal self defense weapons by anyone
but permit holders.

Please defeat ALL AMENDMENTS to HB 473 and PASS THE CLEAN BILL!
Sincerely,
[your name here]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
To be removed from this mailing list
click on the link below
http://mwade.net/cgi-bin/plistugca/mwmail.cgi?jimdex@xmission.com

Utahgundad

imported post

You guys need to read the article that mad into the Weber State newspaper
www.wsusignpost.com/media/storage/paper985/news/2008/02/29/News/Concealed.Weapons.House.Bill.Uncovers.Gun.Issue-3243974.shtml]http://media.www.wsusignpost.com/media/storage/p...s.House.Bill.Uncovers.Gun.Issue-3243974.shtml[/url]
See below for article...
Concealed weapons: House Bill uncovers gun issue

Hyrum Rappleye
Issue date: 2/29/08 Section: www.wsusignpost.com/news/2008/02/29/News/]News[/url]

function goPage(newindex) {
currentLocation = getThisPage();
cleanedLocation = '';
// If this is an SHTML request.
if (currentLocation.indexOf(".shtml") > -1) {
// Detect if this is a request that already has a page specification.
if (currentLocation.indexOf("-page") > -1) {
cleanedLocation = currentLocation.substring(0, currentLocation.indexOf("-page")) + '.shtml';
} else {
cleanedLocation = currentLocation;
}
// Only add the "-pageX" suffix when the page index is higher than 1.
if (newindex != 1) {
cleanedLocation = cleanedLocation.substring(0, cleanedLocation.indexOf(".shtml")) + '-page' + newindex + '.shtml';
}
} else {
// Only add the "-pageX" suffix when the page index is higher than 1.
if (newindex != 1) {
cleanedLocation = currentLocation + '&page=' + newindex;
} else {
cleanedLocation = currentLocation;
}
}
document.location = cleanedLocation;
}
function getThisPage() {
currentURL = '' + window.document.location;
thispageresult = '';
if (currentURL.indexOf("?page=") > -1) {
currentURL = currentURL.substring(0, currentURL.indexOf('?page='));
thispageresult = currentURL;
} else if (currentURL.indexOf("&page=") > -1) {
currentURL = currentURL.substring(0, currentURL.indexOf('&page='));
} else {
}
// Make sure the URL generated by this fuctnion is compatible with mirror image.
thispageresult = thispageresult.substring(7, thispageresult.length);
thispageresult = thispageresult.substring(thispageresult.indexOf('/')+1, thispageresult.length);
thispageresult = basehref + thispageresult;
if (thispageresult.indexOf('sourcedomain') > -1) {
thispageresult = thispageresult.substring(0, thispageresult.indexOf('?'));
}
return thispageresult;
}

Concealed weapon permit holders may be able to carry their gun in the open if House Bill 473 is passed in the Utah State Legislature.

On Feb. 18, The House Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee unanimously passed HB 473. Sen. Curt Oda, representative of Clearfield and the chief sponsor of the bill, said he expects it to be debated on the House floor within the next week and expects the bill to be passed. However, he said he doubts people will begin to carry their weapons in the open.

The purpose of HB 473 is to clarify the current law pertaining to concealed weapon permit holders. For now, many law enforcement agencies interpret the law to mean that permit holders must keep the weapon concealed or could face serious charges.

"At this point, police officers can arrest you for brandishing," said Sam Riley, a Weber State University design graphics and engineering technology junior, "but with this bill, it's good because you would have to be waving the gun around to be arrested. You couldn't be arrested for accidental visibility. I hope it goes all the way through the process."

The highlighted change to HB 473 provides a definition for the concealed firearm permit that allows, but does not require, the concealment of the firearm on the person with the permit.

If passed, concealed weapon permit holders could openly carry their guns and may not fear charges.

Even though a background check is passed before a concealed weapon permit is received, it does not qualify the person to carry a weapon in the open. According to Utah State law, the only people permitted to carry a weapon in the open are those who are involved with keeping the peace, such as police officers.

"Having a weapon visible is intimidating and a bad influence on the environment," said Dwayne Abbott, a political science junior. "A student could abuse it. But, in a way, it's a good thing because having a weapon in the open on their hip, everyone knows about it. Due to the fear of it, people won't do anything bad so as not to be a target."
Riley said that visibly carrying a gun could have some negative effects, even in a situation such as a campus shooting.

"If, hypothetically, there was a shooter on campus," Riley said, "and they walked into a room and saw a student carrying in the open, he's going to be the first shot. I would want to have the surprise on the shooter. I'd want to get him before he got me to protect myself. How can you protect yourself if you are a target?"

HB 473 is meant only to clarify the concealed weapons permit law, but, with the new changes, potential problems may arise.

"There exist potential problems when a person carries in the open," Abbott said. "How are they going to regulate who has a permit to carry? If it's concealed, nobody knows about it and it doesn't cause problems."

Riley said he thinks students have the right to protect themselves, but someone choosing to openly carrying a gun on campus is going to receive a lot of bad attention.

Monday, a criminal justice professor walked into the Social Science building carrying a rifle in a case, and bystanders did not recognize him as a member of the criminal justice department, so they called the police. In turn, the Social Science building was locked down. He was going to the crime lab to perform forensic testing on the weapon.

Another bill (SB67) sponsored by Sen. Mark B. Madsen, Lehi representative, is being debated on the House floor. SB67 would "prohibit certain persons from creating or enforcing a policy that prohibits the storage of firearms in a motor vehicle parked on property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the person."

SB67 would make it legal for anyone, whether they had a concealed weapon permit or not, to store a loaded weapon in their car in any parking lot in Utah, including WSU.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Do not spam, but please forward this to all interested parties. Please encourage interested persons to sign up for these alerts directly so as to receive them in a timely manner.

GOUtah!
(Gun Owners of Utah)
http://www.goutahorg.org

Utah's Uncompromising Independent Gun Rights Network.
No Surrender. No Retreat. Not Now. Not Ever.

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from these e-mail alerts, please send
a blank e-mail message to either: goutah-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
or goutah-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

GOUtah! Alert #290 – 29 February 2008

Today’s Maxim of Liberty:

“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of
the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes
some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently,
no majority has a right to deprive them of."

-- Albert Gallatin

CALL YOUR REP THIS WEEKEND TO DEFEAT THE ANTI-GUN URQUHART AMENDMENT!

House Speaker Greg Curtis and House Rules Committee Chairman Steve
Urquhart have turned against us this session by effectively killing
both of the great pro-gun bills that passed the Senate. Now they’ve
set their sights on turning HB 473 (Rep. Curt Oda’s excellent open-
carry bill) into an anti-gun bill by adding a hideous amendment to
it, called Floor Amendment 1.

This amendment is sponsored by Rep. Urquhart, and it was drafted
hastily and in secret. It was written so fast that it even has a
typo on it!

The Urquhart amendment actually creates new gun-carry restrictions
throughout the state. In particular, it would make it a crime for a
permit-holder to openly carry a firearm in many places where it is
currently legal to do so. This amendment is plain old-fashioned gun
control, pure and simple, and it was likely written at the behest of
the anti-gun administrators of the University of Utah. Currently,
according to our reading of the Utah Code, it's legal for a permit
holder to openly carry his self-defense weapon at that U. of U.
We've heard stories of campus police harassing people who do this
(which is why HB 473 was introduced, to prevent such harassment), but
to our knowledge they've never actually arrested anyone because they
know there's nothing they can arrest them for, because they're not
breaking any laws. If Floor Amendment 1 passes, the campus police
will actually be able to fine or arrest permit holders for carrying
openly.

HB 473, which GOUtah! supports, does not change the law. It merely
clarifies that a permit-holder can openly carry anywhere that he can
legally carry concealed. This is already the law, but HB 473 merely
makes it extra-crystal clear so that it will not be subject to
misinterpretation by boneheaded public servants.

However, the Urquhart Amendment (Floor Amendment 1), which will be
introduced on the House floor on Monday morning, would actually put a
whole bunch of complicated restrictions on the carrying of firearms.
We’re still deciphering the language, but thus far we’ve found a lot
of bad things in this amendment. To fully understand this amendment,
you have to read and cross-reference the sections of the existing
code that define such things as “concealed” and “school”. We’ve done
this, but we don’t have time to explain it all here.

Under the Urquhart amendment, a permit holder can’t openly carry a
firearm within 1,000 feet of any day-care facility, pre-school, K-12
school, college, or university in the state. To do so would become a
crime (which it currently isn’t). Furthermore, under the Urquhart
amendment, if you have a firearm with you and you’re within 1,000
feet of a day-care facility, pre-school, K-12 school, college or
university, the firearm must be concealed ON YOUR PERSON. Meaning
that you can’t have it concealed in your purse or backpack. If you
have a firearm locked in a case, for example, that firearm can’t be
carried within 1,000 feet of any day-care facility, pre-school, K-12
school, college, or university in the state.

Under the Urquhart amendment, if you were carrying a concealed
firearm on your person with a permit, it would become a crime for you
to take off your jacket in numerous places throughout the state,
where it is currently not a crime for you to do so.

Under the Urquhart amendment, an adult college student with a
concealed firearm permit living on-campus would become a criminal if
he carried his unloaded target rifle from his car to his dorm room in
a locked suitcase.

All of these things, and other things, that are currently legal for
permit holders to do would become criminal acts under the Urquhart
amendment. Thus, if the Urquhart amendment gets attached to HB 473,
we’ll actually lose ground. We’ll be giving up some of our existing
rights without gaining anything at all in return. That’s a very bad
bargain.

Please see the action item below and call your Utah State
Representative this weekend.

ACTION ITEM

Please call your Utah State Representative at home this weekend. If
you don’t call him this weekend, then please send him a message the
first thing Monday morning, as this bill will be heard on Monday.

Ask them to vote against the Urquhart amendment to HB 473, also known
as “Floor Amendment #1”, and to vote against HB 473 if the Urquhart
amendment or any other hostile amendment gets attached. It is
imperative that we prevent the Urquhart amendment or anything like it
from becoming law, even if it means that we have to kill HB 473.
Emphasize that you support HB 473 only in its current form, without
amendments. Floor Amendment #1 (the Urquhart Amendment) must be
defeated at all costs, even if it means killing the entire bill.

Special note: If you are a convention delegate or other office
holder in the political party to which your rep belongs, please tell
him this. Or if you are thinking of becoming a delegate this spring,
please tell him this.

In addition, House Speaker Greg Curtis and Rep. Urquhart need to have
their phones ringing off the hook this weekend, with hundreds of
people calling them to ask them to pass HB 473 WITHOUT AMENDMENTS and
to kill the Urquhart amendment (Floor Amendment #1).

To get your own representative’s home phone number and e-mail, go to
http://www.goutahorg.org and click on “legislative contacts”. Many
reps probably only access their House e-mail when they’re at the
Capitol, so phone calls are best over the weekend.

If you use the phone, just leave a simple message such as: “I’m a gun
owner and an active voter and I’m calling in regard to HB 473.
Please do whatever you have to do to prevent Floor Amendment 1 from
becoming law, even this means killing HB 473 completely. HB 473
should only pass without amendments.”

House Speaker Greg Curtis:
Home phone: 801-943-3091
e-mail: gcurtis@utah.gov

Rep. Steven Urquhart:
Office phone in St. George: 435-656-4424
e-mail: surquhart@utah.gov

Utah State House of Representatives
350 N. State Street, Suite 350
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
House switchboard (for leaving voice messages): 801-538-1029
Fax for Republican representatives: 801-326-1544
Fax for Democratic representatives: 801-326-1539

That concludes GOUtah! Alert #290 – 29 February 2008.
Copyright 2008 by GOUtah!. All rights reserved.

PRE-WRITTEN LETTER BELOW

----- Cut here ------

Date:

To:

Dear Rep. ________________________:

As an active voter and gun owner living in your district, I ask you
to do everything in your power to prevent Rep. Steve Urquhart’s
amendment to HB 473 (Floor Amendment 1) from becoming law. While I
strongly support HB 473 in its current form, I would ask you to
oppose the entire bill and try to kill it if Floor Amendment 1 (or
anything like it) gets attached. Floor Amendment 1 would turn HB 473
into a gun-control bill by adding new restrictions that don’t exist
in the current law.

Floor Amendment 1 was hastily drafted (note that it even contains
typos) and, if you cross-reference it with the relevant portions of
the Utah Code, you’ll find that it would add various unacceptable
restrictions to the existing gun-carry laws and create numerous
unintended consequences, such as making it a crime for a female
concealed-weapon permit holder to have a firearm concealed in her
purse if she comes within 1,000 feet of any day-care center, pre-
school, K-12 school, college, or university in the state. And Floor
Amendment 1 would make it a crime for a permit-holder to openly carry
a self-defense weapon in thousands of places throughout the state
where it is currently legal to do so, many of which are vaguely
defined (such as thousand-foot zones around day-care centers operated
in private homes, which are defined as "schools" under the relevant
section of the existing code).

Please vote AGAINST Floor Amendment 1 (or any similar amendments that
might be offered) and do whatever you need to do to prevent it from
becoming law, even if this means killing HB 473.

Please get back to me and let me know how you voted. Thanks for
taking time to consider my views on this matter.

Sincerely,

------- Cut here -------

To Subscribe, send a blank message to:
goutah-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
goutah-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goutah/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goutah/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:goutah-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:goutah-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
goutah-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

For those wishing to contact Rep. Steve Urquhart over the weekend, he does have a listed home phone number. Be sure to be extra polite when calling legislators at home and even doubly so if you get a spouse instead. Avoid calling too early in the morning, or later than 10:00 pm. Mrs. Urquhart, in particular, is a lovely lady and an old friend of mine from high school, so please be very polite if she answers.

Do leave a message, and ask for a call back. Be brief.

Thank you.

Steve Urquhart Saint George, UT 84770
(435) 673-4424