• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Relocating to Montana in Summer 2009

docwatson

imported post

I am looking at the Billings/St Regis Area and wanted to ask if anyone can recommend any good gun shops and ranges in the area.

Also, a good real-estate agent with some rental property!

JP

imported post

docwatson wrote:
I am looking at the Billings/St Regis Area and wanted to ask if anyone can recommend any good gun shops and ranges in the area.

Also, a good real-estate agent with some rental property!
Welcome to Montana (when you get here)!

Billings is a long ways from St Regis ...... you're in St. Regis just about the time you get down off the mountain coming in from Idaho over Lookout Pass, ..... to get to Billings you have to stay on I-90 for several more hours ..... it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way across the state :what: I live due north of Billings (give or take a few miles), and it's almost an all day trip from Billings to St. Regis (415 miles .... If you can average 50MPH with gas and grocery stops, that's 8 hrs.).

I can't help you with realtors in either place, nor gun shops or shooting ranges ...... I'm too far removed from either place.

MontanaCZ

imported post

Yes, those two are quite a distance apart, and quite a bit different as places can be. I hope Matt can chime in here since he lives in Billings. There are a couple of gun ranges there, but a lot of people seem to shoot outside of town on some BLM land. That is about all I know. Both of those are a long way from me.

-CZ

kd7one

imported post

Welcome to Montana. I live in north Billings in a part that is called the Heights. We have a couple of gunclubs that have a limit on memberships. The gunrange that is north of billings is on Route 87 (Roundup road)at mile marker 17 It is BLM land.

tarkio

imported post

I live outside of Billings and belong to one of the gun ranges/clubs here in the Billings area. There are others located somewhat close such as Laurel, Hysham et al.

If you are looking for a nice small gun shop where you deal with the owner, I would suggest Beartooth Cash and Guns in downtown Billings. Dave is the owner and the guy behind the counter. Dave's number is (406) 245-4448. there is a pawn shop/gun shop called Daddy O's that is alright for some things. Otherwise, one of the largest gun shops is the local farm and ranch store, Shipton's Big R. They have a number of employees and 2 locations. I prefer to go to the downtown location and deal with the older guy that oversees the gun dept there. Jim I believe is his name. Very good guy to deal with. Pretty good selection, but you can't talk with / deal with the owner.

As far as property goes, if you want to pm me I can maybe help. I was personally in the position of renting here a few years back and I can direct you to some people/locations and can definitely suggest you stay away from some people that deal and manage properties.

Email or PM me if you like. I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

If you are looking at St Regis, I won't be as much help to you. As others have said, St Regis is nearly to the ID line on I 90.

mlane at nemont (dot) net