Thread: Needing advice on a holster

Post imported post

My wife is wanting to start to open carry. She generally does not wear a belt but would if needed. She owns a Beretta92, and would like a thumb break, but nothing more. We briefly discussed the different levels of holster, and she didn't like the "more complicated" ones, but also wants something a bit more than my Galco MX7.

Any suggestions? Price is an object, but I'll pop for whatever she would feel comfortable wearing. She's a curvy 6ft, if that helps.

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I have a Beretta 92 and use a Fobus paddle. Holds the gun very secure, but you have to get the hang of how to get your gun out. Requires a quick draw from the same angle the gun is inserted. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty nice. Made in Israel for combat use. Very easy to quickly put on as the paddle slides right into your pants. Comfortable, too.

BTW, don't believe that video which shows someone rotating a Fobus out of someone's pants. I tried really hard and couldn't do it.

Post imported post

concealed wrote:
    I have a Beretta 92 and use a Fobus paddle. Holds the gun very secure, but you have to get the hang of how to get your gun out. Requires a quick draw from the same angle the gun is inserted. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty nice. Made in Israel for combat use. Very easy to quickly put on as the paddle slides right into your pants. Comfortable, too.

BTW, don't believe that video which shows someone rotating a Fobus out of someone's pants. I tried really hard and couldn't do it.
    These holsters are not made for open carry. For that matter using any open top holster that lacks active retention devices for open carry is basically asking to have your gun snatched. Fobus paddle holsters are good holsters, but only for concealed carry (I have one for my Glock 22).

So, to the guy who wants an open carry holster for the wife, I would not recommend concealed's method. You want a holster that provides the right combination of speed of draw and retention. Try looking at a Serpa. True, it does not have a thumb break like your wife desires, but the auto lock retention device and lack of a thumb break work together to provide superior retention and easy reholstering.

Post imported post

We have several female OCers on the forum. I hope one of them pops in with an opinion. Holsters that comfortably fit a man well may not fit a woman, especially a particularly curvaceous woman.

Maybe you can get a mod to change the title to be more explicit on what you are needing to attract the attention of our female members. Remember folks, many people scan thread titles in the forums to pick and choose what they read. While someone may respond to the thread title, "Need a woman's opinion on an OC holster for my curvaceous wife" may attract most of our female members with excellent advice, "Needing advice on a holster" may just elicit a "Oh, another holster thread -- NEXT" response. The more specifically the thread is titled, the more likely you are to get responses from the members with the specific knowledge you seek.

Oh yeah, IMO to all the above.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Safariland ALS holsters are very easy.