• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCUBA diving meetup?

Are you a diver?

• Got certified, done a few dives.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've done a resort course or two, but not certified.

• I'd like to but I just haven't gotten around to it.

• Man does not belong under water.

• I've logged a few dozen dives

• I'm a serious recreational diver with hundreds or thousands of logged dives.

• I'm a technical diver, anyone want to debate deco regimes?

• I'm a commercial diver. SCUBA is for dilettantes.

• I'm a fish.

• Total voters

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
We used to scuba with a state cop who carried everywhere including while scuba diving. Usually a compact Glock in his BC pocket. In an abandoned quarry converted to scuba operations, with no dangerous water life, it seemed pretty silly to me.

He needs one of these:

spp1.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg140-e.htm

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I kept this thread open as a meetup thread for members based around a diving trip, so if this becomes just a SCUBA chat thread I'm going to close it again.

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Anyone ever need to defend themselves under water with a gun? How do you store your gun? Pelican case or Ziploc bag?

But seriously... My wife and I are certified and would enjoy a SCUBA trip. It has been a long time since I have gotten wet.
Yes. OC my spear gun and my diving knife while I OC.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I kept this thread open as a meetup thread for members based around a diving trip, so if this becomes just a SCUBA chat thread I'm going to close it again.
OR how about you could get off it?? :?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

DreQo wrote:
longwatch wrote:
OR how about you could get off it?? :?
Reopened, make something good happen.

LEO 229

imported post

Looks like I will need a lock box to secure my gun if I plan to take any SCUBA trips in the future. One that is key-less in case I lose the keys while out in the water.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Looks like I will need a lock box to secure my gun if I plan to take any SCUBA trips in the future. One that is key-less in case I lose the keys while out in the water.

lol Thats a really good point. I was talking to the guy at the gun shop about carrying since he's currently down in Florida on a scuba trip. He said his gun would probably just stay in his truck, since he wouldn't need it on the boat.

When the military dives for operations, do they do anything specific to their weapons like water-proofing or plugging? Or do they just dump the water out of the barrel before firing? lol I would assume the latter.

swillden

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Carrying a key isn't an issue for me. I often do that, even with the electronic key fobs (it was an accident the first couple of times). I've experimented with small Pelican cases but I find for stuff that can get wet, I just wear swim trunks with a pocket and with my wet suit over top there's no chance of anything falling out.

If you're going to take your gun on the dive boat, a lockable gun safe in your gear bag would seem the best option. You *could* strap the gun on and dive with it of course. Have to figure out where to position the weight to keep your trim, and decide whether to consider the gun as ditchable or non-ditchable weight.

swillden

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I don't know where yankees98a is from, but these pther posters are from as far away as Utah, so a NC meet-up would probably be mostly east coasters. There's gotta be more divers around. I need an excuse to go diving again. The older you get, the more spread out your buddies get, be they dive buddies or shooting buddies.
What would be the best time of year for an NC meetup? FL would be good just about any time.

Tomahawk

imported post

swillden wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
I don't know where yankees98a is from, but these pther posters are from as far away as Utah, so a NC meet-up would probably be mostly east coasters. There's gotta be more divers around. I need an excuse to go diving again. The older you get, the more spread out your buddies get, be they dive buddies or shooting buddies.
What would be the best time of year for an NC meetup? FL would be good just about any time.

If you want to do any diving, mid to late summer is best for NC, while the water is warm enough to dive comfortably, but you want to get there before hurricane season. I have had at least one weekend all planned out and shot to hell by a hurricane.

For an OC meetup, there are lots of decent little seafood joints in Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, and Beaufort. I haven't been down there in a few years, so I don't know which ones are still open these days. Over the years they come and go.

I used to be stationed down there in Havelock and that whole Carolina Coast has an appeal to me. It's hot and sticky, but it's also slow and relaxing, and unlike the Outer Banks just a ferry boat ride to the north, it's not very crowded by tourists.

But since I mentioned it, I wouldn't rule out an Outer Banks OC meetup, either!