Thread: Carry in car

Post imported post

I know I have seen here in the forums but cant find it.

If your in the car does the gun need to be on your person at all times
    its loaded? Or can you have it on the seat by you or so on so on.

Thanks okkid

Post imported post

The only "loaded gun" you can have in a car in Washington State is a handgun. Rifles and Shotguns can't be transported in a vehicle if loaded.

If you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) the pistol can be anywhere in the vehicle. In your lap, on your hip, glove box, or under the seat. As long as you "conceal" and lock your vehicle when you leave your OK to leave it in the vehicle although you might find it gone when you get back. Just ask the Chief of the Seattle PD:shock:
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

So if my gun is in the seat next to me that is ok? Im just trying to
    undestand this to make sure I dont get into any troble.

RCW 9.41.050

2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

At work I cant carry the gun on me but can have it in my work truck
    so I have the gun in between me and the other seat as Im in a box van.

I have been told that if im in the truck or car I need to have the gun on my person at all times. This is why im asking about this.

Thanks

Post imported post

(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there

Looks like there should be an OR between (i) and (ii)..

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there

Looks like there should be an OR between (i) and (ii)..
    There is and or between the (i) and the (ii). The or is implied with the comma. You can replace the comma with the word or and vice-a-verse-a.

Post imported post

Also there is an or inbetween (ii) and (iii) which completes the sentence and makes it one of the threerequirements must be met.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

I have 4 cops saying I would get busted if the gun was not on me

if I got pulled over. This why im asking. And yes I have a cpl

Thanks for all your help

Post imported post

Talk to thier Sgt. and have him clarify the law with the 4 officers. It won't matter what you tell them. If they think they are right they will do what they want.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

I usually stuff my gun in the passenger seat crevice or lay it in the seat or put it between the seat and the console. Sometimes I even put it in my side console by the window rolldown handle! But seriously, if you have your CPL I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you got pulled over so what? You don't even need to inform an officer. But I can only imagine they'd probably become very upset about you having and unholstered weapon in their presence. Good thing their opinions or feelings are not the law!

Post imported post

okkid wrote:
    I have 4 cops saying I would get busted if the gun was not on me

if I got pulled over. This why im asking. And yes I have a cpl

Thanks for all your help
    Remember the first rule for dealing with cops. "Cops LIE!!!!" They will tell you anything to get you to do or say what they want.

State Researcher

Post imported post

And don't forget rule #2.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    ****?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Jered wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    ****?

Nope. Rule #2 is see Rule #1.
    Of course not all cops lie, but I believe in covering bases. I'll bet on some cop forum there are cops saying "all civilians lie"...

I just presume anything I say will get twisted, bent or ignored, and they do the same thing, and there is no communication... sad. That said, I'm willing to trust Oly cops more than say Seattle cops.

Post imported post

Thanks for all your help and I will go talk to there Sgt this week.
    See I work with one of the cops that told me this.

He is a part time volunteer with the Cosmopolis police dept
    and hes the one who told me this and he ask the there leos
    there.

I told him he was wrong but he just keeps saying im wrong.
    Whats funny about this is I told him cops dont know the law
    amd I left it at that. I know he wants to keep me out of any trouble
    and means good but the law is the law.

Post imported post

okkid wrote:
    I know I have seen here in the forums but cant find it.

If your in the car does the gun need to be on your person at all times
    its loaded? Or can you have it on the seat by you or so on so on.

Thanks okkid
    You will find this explained on page 15 of my book "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities."

http://www.danddgunleather.com/pages...gun_rights.htm

Post imported post

Care to give a link to the text? Or are you content just slapping me in the face with spam?

Post imported post

The book is available at most gun stores. I saw some at Mary's Pistols in Tacoma last time I was in there. This is a book you will want to own, lots of really good information.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    The book is available at most gun stores. I saw some at Mary's Pistols in Tacoma last time I was in there. This is a book you will want to own, lots of really good information.
    I have the book and will alway keep a copy available. On the original subject. Some years back I was returning from the indoor pistol rangeat the airport at Shelton and a Stater stopped me for honking at a moron that slowed down from the speed limit in front of me because the copdrove by going the other way. 8 pistol in the truck with me counting the one on my hip and all loaded. She was unable to clear even the 2 1911s and when the Sargent showed up, I knew him personally, and to follow procedures he said he should clear all the weapons but he wasn't clearing all my guns and sent me on my way.

Post imported post

I will get the book and thanks for all the info.

Another guy at work told me he was talking to his brother who is a leo
    in Puyallup about open carry and said that he would find some way to
    get me on somthing :X

I just dont understand why they need to just push and push people around grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post imported post

okkid wrote:
    I will get the book and thanks for all the info.

Another guy at work told me he was talking to his brother who is a leo
    in Puyallup about open carry and said that he would find some way to
    get me on somthing :X

I just dont understand why they need to just push and push people around grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah and the law suit would break him and his department the arrogant jerk.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Of course not all cops lie, but I believe in covering bases.
    Or, to put that slightly differently, not all cops lie, but they believe in covering asses.

That is, when asked about a point of the law about which they are uncertain, they will err on the side of caution; that is, they will tell you the law is more restrictive than it actually is. For example, before I gained US citizenship (and was thus ineligible to possess a firearm in Washington without an Alien Firearms License, which I didn't bother getting because of the Dutch authorities' refusal to let the consul in Bellevue issue the attestation required by the RCW), I e-mailed Thurston County Sheriff's Office to ask whether it would be legal for me to go to the range with my friend and fire his Mosin M1891/30, provided I only handled the weapon at the firing point while under his supervision. TCSO responded that I needed an AFL to so much as touch a weapon.

Well, that sounded like bollocks to me, because RCW 9.41.040 (Unlawful possession of firearms) makes the distinction between possessing, carrying and having in your control a firearm, while RCW 9.41.170 (Alien's license to carry) prohibits a non-US citizen from possessing or carrying a firearm, but makes no mention of having a firearm in your control. And as it turns out, I was right in my suspicion. Basically, a non-AFL-holding non-US citizen is legal to handle and fire a firearm at places like established firing ranges, as long as he is being supervised by someone who is eligible to possess a firearm.

Now, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape if cops aren't fully conversant with the murkier nuances of the law. Their job's generally tough enough that I don't expect them to be professional jurists on top of everything else. Still, I'd have preferred if they'd just straight out told me "we've never encountered such a situation before, so we don't know the answer; try asking the state AG's office, and in the meantime, don't do whatever it you were thinking of doing, just in case it does turn out to be illegal." That would have been the honest answer, and I'd have had more respect for them for being honest, because now I know they didn't know the answer and pretended like they did anyway.

But at the same time, I do appreciate the fact that the advice they did give me, though incorrect, was calculated to keep me out of trouble with the law. That said, though, there's some ass-covering involved on their part; after all, if my Mosin-owning friend and I had gone to some range, and the local PD had found me holding his rifle and busted me for illegal possession, and I'd pointed out in my defense that I'd checked with TCSO and they'd told me it was kosher (with the e-mail to prove it), there'd have been some fallout.

Post imported post

What is behind everyone's contention that the gun does not need to be on the person, other than subjective grammatical interpretation?

Court case, AGs opinion, what?