• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in car

okkid

imported post

I know I have seen here in the forums but cant find it.

If your in the car does the gun need to be on your person at all times
its loaded? Or can you have it on the seat by you or so on so on.

Thanks okkid

amlevin

imported post

The only "loaded gun" you can have in a car in Washington State is a handgun. Rifles and Shotguns can't be transported in a vehicle if loaded.

If you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) the pistol can be anywhere in the vehicle. In your lap, on your hip, glove box, or under the seat. As long as you "conceal" and lock your vehicle when you leave your OK to leave it in the vehicle although you might find it gone when you get back. Just ask the Chief of the Seattle PD:shock:

okkid

imported post

So if my gun is in the seat next to me that is ok? Im just trying to
undestand this to make sure I dont get into any troble.

RCW 9.41.050

2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

At work I cant carry the gun on me but can have it in my work truck
so I have the gun in between me and the other seat as Im in a box van.

I have been told that if im in the truck or car I need to have the gun on my person at all times. This is why im asking about this.

Thanks

nathan

imported post

(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there

Looks like there should be an OR between (i) and (ii)..

Bear 45/70

imported post

nathan wrote:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there

Looks like there should be an OR between (i) and (ii)..
There is and or between the (i) and the (ii). The or is implied with the comma. You can replace the comma with the word or and vice-a-verse-a.

okkid

imported post

I have 4 cops saying I would get busted if the gun was not on me

if I got pulled over. This why im asking. And yes I have a cpl

Thanks for all your help

joeroket

imported post

Talk to thier Sgt. and have him clarify the law with the 4 officers. It won't matter what you tell them. If they think they are right they will do what they want.

G27

imported post

I usually stuff my gun in the passenger seat crevice or lay it in the seat or put it between the seat and the console. Sometimes I even put it in my side console by the window rolldown handle! But seriously, if you have your CPL I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you got pulled over so what? You don't even need to inform an officer. But I can only imagine they'd probably become very upset about you having and unholstered weapon in their presence. Good thing their opinions or feelings are not the law!

Bear 45/70

imported post

okkid wrote:
I have 4 cops saying I would get busted if the gun was not on me

if I got pulled over. This why im asking. And yes I have a cpl

Thanks for all your help
Remember the first rule for dealing with cops. "Cops LIE!!!!" They will tell you anything to get you to do or say what they want.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Jered wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
And don't forget rule #2.
STFU?
Nope. Rule #2 is see Rule #1.
Of course not all cops lie, but I believe in covering bases. I'll bet on some cop forum there are cops saying "all civilians lie"...

I just presume anything I say will get twisted, bent or ignored, and they do the same thing, and there is no communication... sad. That said, I'm willing to trust Oly cops more than say Seattle cops.

okkid

imported post

Thanks for all your help and I will go talk to there Sgt this week.
See I work with one of the cops that told me this.

He is a part time volunteer with the Cosmopolis police dept
and hes the one who told me this and he ask the there leos
there.

I told him he was wrong but he just keeps saying im wrong.
Whats funny about this is I told him cops dont know the law
amd I left it at that. I know he wants to keep me out of any trouble
and means good but the law is the law.

Dave Workman

imported post

okkid wrote:
I know I have seen here in the forums but cant find it.

If your in the car does the gun need to be on your person at all times
its loaded? Or can you have it on the seat by you or so on so on.

Thanks okkid

You will find this explained on page 15 of my book "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities."

http://www.danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

Mainsail

imported post

The book is available at most gun stores. I saw some at Mary's Pistols in Tacoma last time I was in there. This is a book you will want to own, lots of really good information.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
The book is available at most gun stores. I saw some at Mary's Pistols in Tacoma last time I was in there. This is a book you will want to own, lots of really good information.
I have the book and will alway keep a copy available. On the original subject. Some years back I was returning from the indoor pistol rangeat the airport at Shelton and a Stater stopped me for honking at a moron that slowed down from the speed limit in front of me because the copdrove by going the other way. 8 pistol in the truck with me counting the one on my hip and all loaded. She was unable to clear even the 2 1911s and when the Sargent showed up, I knew him personally, and to follow procedures he said he should clear all the weapons but he wasn't clearing all my guns and sent me on my way.

okkid

imported post

I will get the book and thanks for all the info.

Another guy at work told me he was talking to his brother who is a leo
in Puyallup about open carry and said that he would find some way to
get me on somthing :X

I just dont understand why they need to just push and push people around grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bear 45/70

imported post

okkid wrote:
I will get the book and thanks for all the info.

Another guy at work told me he was talking to his brother who is a leo
in Puyallup about open carry and said that he would find some way to
get me on somthing :X

I just dont understand why they need to just push and push people around grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Yeah and the law suit would break him and his department the arrogant jerk.