• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Ban handguns' Letter to the Charleston, SC Posted & Currying editors by Nina D. Hoffman

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/01/letters_editor32313/

Ban handguns

Out of the ashes of tragedies can arise opportunities for significant change. There is no better example than the shootings at Northern Illinois University.

Can there be a more compelling reason for strict gun-control legislation than this catastrophe? The murder of these students having occurred during a presidential campaign creates the perfect forum for candidates to set forth their positions on how true gun control can be achieved.

But no candidate has made any meaningful statements to this effect.

Here is part of Sen. Clinton's response to the NIU shootings:

"We just have to figure out how we're going to get smart about protecting our kids because obviously we have to first and foremost do everything we can to take reasonable steps to keep our children safe and while safeguarding and respecting our Second Amendment rights"

Sen. Obama's reaction to the shooting has not been any more substantive than Sen. Clinton's. He was quoted by the AP as follows: "I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to common-sense regulation."

Again, there it is again, the individual's right to bear arms. These responses are unacceptable. The solution does not lie in protecting an individual's rights to bear arms, a right that has never been determined by the Supreme Court as the true meaning of the Second Amendment.

The solution lies in federal laws, which would totally ban handguns, and would require extensive background checks, and prohibit the import of guns into our country, and more.

I implore Sens. Clinton and Obama, along with Sen. McCain and Gov. Huckabee, to seize this opportunity to offer our country and the bereft families of victims of gun violence more than condolences.

NINA D. HOFFMAN
Lavington Road
Charleston
Letters editor at the Posted & Currying mailto://barbara@postandcourier.com
We want to hear your opinions. Click here to send a letter to the editor. Please include your full name and contact information so we can verify who you are. Unverified letters cannot be printed.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

blowup.gif

springer7676

imported post

The following was my reply sent to the Editor.barbara@postandcourier.com

Dear Ms Hoffman,
I am appalled by the NIU shooting as everyone who are parents, educators, media, and gun owners. Yes I am a gun owner.Appalled andangry that another shooting has occurred in our great country by someone who neither collects, hunts, or otherwise enjoys the firearm as am object of beauty in some cases and/or as a tool for enjoyment. The shooter was apparently insane or depressed to the point that he wanted revenge for his state of solitude and anger. He used guns, a shotgun and handgun, to murder fellow students without remorse and withoutlovefor life either his orhis victims. His mental state was one of revenge as proven by his action.

I do not criticize your editorial ,however I do disagree with it. I have owned guns for 30 years. In that time I have owned and still own a handgun and a shotgun. Your call to ban handguns and eventually all guns is not the answer to the NIU shooting. I honestly don't know what the answer is for stopping a murderer. Either a single murder or a mass murderer. I do know that the tool is not the cause. Banning the tool will not stop the murderer. It never has and never will. Did this shooter purchase the guns in order to carry out his mission? He probably did. His motivations were to cause harm and take revenge and those are very strong motivations. So strong that if a handgun ban were in place, or a shotgun ban in place, he would have purchased his tools in some fashion, illegally or from an unsuspectingfriend, parent or stranger in order take his plan to fruition. He had no remorse.

I am saddened by the shooting and as stated,angry with him. He has distorted the truth and created an atmosphere where we believe that banning handguns or shotguns would have prevented his act. His world was not reality. Our world is reality and we need to take action to prevent his unreal world from colliding with our real world. He is like the drunk driverin that hetook something useful, as thefirearm, or as the drunkdoes anautomobile , and used it in a destructive manner. These type individualsinfringe on our world and cause pain it it without care. We cannot ban tools and make a difference. What wedois important to many other innocent citizensso our response needs to be aimed at the causes not the tools. Otherwise we restrict car ownership and firearm ownership of the innocent.

I hope I have not offended you with this email. That reaction is not my intent. My intent is to offer a sincere response to what you feel is the answer to this issue. Its not about the second amendment which I certainly believe is valid for all Americans but which does not have to be embraced by all Americans who do not wish to own a firearm. My desire to own a firearm and use it as the tool as it was intended should not be infringed on unless I use that firearm against my fellow American. In that case, if I have not committed suicide, I should be punished severely. Iam the cause. The firearm had nothing to do with my actions. Any device that would fulfill my motivation to do harm is my tool.

I cannot express theemotions I feel for the parents of the students that were murdered. Murdered in a way that causes pain and grief for a lifetime. I have lost a love one to the misuse of a firearm. His life was ended by someone who didn't take responsibility for his actions. Nothing can change the horrificresult. That realization when it comes over the grieving process is absolutely the most heart breaking realization. The parents of those children will suffer with their thoughts regarding this shooter and murderer for the remainder of their lives. The realization that the murderer was the cause for their pain will eventually come. Before it does however, there will be thoughts about firearm bans, student psychological screening, security lapse, and many others that ifeven managed would not have changed the outcome. In the end they will realize the murderer was the cause.His motivation could notbe stopped unless we could have read his mind.
Respectfully
Stephen Grigg

Anubis

imported post

"a right that has never been determined by the Supreme Court as the true meaning of the Second Amendment"

Guess again! (I know, it was actually written March 1.)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

My fervent hope is that NINA D. HOFFMAN is not a native born Southerner. I would be both agast and appalled that a fellow-Southern might think this way. Almost as bad would be if she was a transplant from some other region if the country that views arms as being rather gauche. I really do not like people migrating to our part of the country and bringing their ideas with them instead of adopting out traditions and ways.

Guns are as much a part of the South as grits. I suspect we have the highest percentage of homes with guns (78%) of any region in the country. If our "friend" hates guns so much, what else about the South might she also find distasteful?

rds801

imported post

Why is it that when some BG commits a crime with a gun, some people cry for a gun ban? A BG commits a crime with a knife? Nothing! Anything else used to commit crimes will not go on a "we need to ban those" lists. If I ever go to a place that bans guns (store, restaurant, etc) and something happens while I am there, I will blame the store, restaurant for not protecting people there. They want to ban guns but they don't want to do the things necessary to make sure people are safe.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rds801 wrote:
Why is it that when some BG commits a crime with a gun, some people cry for a gun ban? A BG commits a crime with a knife? Nothing! Anything else used to commit crimes will not go on a "we need to ban those" lists.
Well, take a gander across the pond and insertyour tarsal complexinto youroral cavity. The Brits do indeed very heavily regulate carry of knives and are contemplatingregistration of ownershipas well. Pretty soon every knife over in Britain will have to have a serial number, and when you buy one you'll have to fill out a form and pass a background check.