Thread: Possible advantage in challenging MWAA?

Post imported post

The Virginia Supreme Court has laid the smackdown on the NVTA, saying it is not a government and therefore cannot raise a tax. Could this court ruling be used as a lever against Metro Washington Airport Authorty's claim to authority to impose gun restrictions on places like Rt. 28?

Link here.
    NVTA Tax Opponents From Loudoun React To Virginia Court Ruling

02-29-2008 7:41 AM

(Leesburg, VA) -- The Virginia State Supreme Court has ruled that the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority is not a county, city, town or regional government and it's unconstitutional for it to impose taxes. Last July, the NVTA voted to create seven new taxes and fees to raise 325-million-dollars a year for regional transportation improvements as part of the General Assembly's effort to address traffic problems in Northern Virginia. Many officials in Loudoun County spoke out in opposition to the Authority's ability to impose taxes with Delegate Robert Marshall and the Board of Supervisors heading-up legal challenges. Board chairman Scott York, Loudoun's only NVTA representative, tells the "Loudoun Times" that, quote, "we didn't think it was constitutional for a non-elected body to raise taxes and fees." He adds that "there is a process to changing the constitution; you just can't violate it." York believes that local jurisdictions will be able to make up for some of the lost revenue by increasing commercial tax rates to fund road improvements.

Copyright 2008 Metro Networks Communications Inc., A Westwood One Company

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    SNIP Could this court ruling be used as a lever against Metro Washington Airport Authorty's claim to authority to impose gun restrictions on places like Rt. 28?
    Hmmmm. (rubs chin)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    SNIP Could this court ruling be used as a lever against Metro Washington Airport Authorty's claim to authority to impose gun restrictions on places like Rt. 28?
    Hmmmm. (rubs chin)
    Have I missed something??? I wasn't aware of any restictions on Rt 28 or any other approach claimed by the MWAA... I drive all roads leading to Dulles, on Dulles and everything short of walking in the airport terminals themselves while carrying... Where would I find the MWAA's written assertion of validity regarding these restictions or at least a public notification to that effect?

Post imported post

The_Side_of_Good wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Hmmmm. (rubs chin)
    Have I missed something??? I wasn't aware of any restictions on Rt 28 or any other approach claimed by the MWAA... I drive all roads leading to Dulles, on Dulles and everything short of walking in the airport terminals themselves while carrying... Where would I find the MWAA's written assertion of validity regarding these restictions or at least a public notification to that effect?
    I'd swear I read in another thread that these restrictions were already struck down by preemption...

OK, found it: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

MWAA may have cut a deal a few years ago, but they still think they are a law unto themselves. I'm just thinking that if anyone ever gets caught up in their hubris someday and winds up in a courtroom, this ruling may be an arrow for your quiver is all.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Roscoe's got it. Preempted!
    Now, how about the GW Parkway? 495 to Mount Vernon. IMHO it's Federali turf. I suppose that the pending federal "National Park" legislation will take care of that.

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:
    Roscoe's got it. Preempted!
    Now, how about the GW Parkway? 495 to Mount Vernon. IMHO it's Federali turf. I suppose that the pending federal "National Park" legislation will take care of that.
    I'm not sure the MWAA considers themselves preempted. Check out the letter posted on the VCDL website.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776