Thread: New holster for my USP Tactical

Post imported post

I am looking for a decent open carry holster option for carrying my HK USP Tactical .45. I would prefer a Blackhawk CQC Serpa carbon fiber, but all I can find for that is a full-size USP,and I can't find any that will fit the Tactical version.

The holsters I am considering right now are the Blade Tech SRB, Fobus Evolution E2 Paddle, or something from Comp-Tac. Does anyone have any experience with any of these holsters that could shed some light? Anyone else have any other comparable options to add to this list?

Retension, durability, and comfort are important. I am not interested inanything leather or anything from Uncle Mike's. Thanks in advance fellas!
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

My suggestion is always to look at Safariland's holsters, at http://www.safariland.com. Their ALS holster system provides the same security level as the CQC Serpa you mentioned. I honestly don't know if they make holsters for your specific firearm, but I'd be surprised if they don't. If you don't see your firearm on their list, give them a call and ask. Their customer support is second to none.

Post imported post

Are you sure that the SERPA holster for the "regular" USP won't work for the Tactical? I have a Compact Tactical .45 and carry it in a regular USPc SERPA. I'm almost certain that the tactical models (both full-size and compact) are identical externally except for the threaded barrel, and unless the end of the holster is closed, it shouldn't matter.

FWIW, I carry my full-size USP Tactical in a Safariland 6004.

Post imported post

jimwyant wrote:
    Are you sure that the SERPA holster for the "regular" USP won't work for the Tactical? I have a Compact Tactical .45 and carry it in a regular USPc SERPA. I'm almost certain that the tactical models (both full-size and compact) are identical externally except for the threaded barrel, and unless the end of the holster is closed, it shouldn't matter.

Actually, I am not sure. I had considered that, but I was not 100% that the full-size USP was exactly the same just without the threaded barrel. Obviously, the Blackhawk holsteris not closed at the bottom, so if they are the same, I can just roll with the Serpa.

Thanks fellas.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    jimwyant wrote:

Actually, I am not sure. I had considered that, but I was not 100% that the full-size USP was exactly the same just without the threaded barrel. Obviously, the Blackhawk holsteris not closed at the bottom, so if they are the same, I can just roll with the Serpa.

Thanks fellas.

It'll work for you. Go to a sportsmans warehouse, or another store and try it out in person. ( bring it to the gun counter, and ask to fit a tactical into it. ) Just tell them you want to make sure you get the right one.

That's what I did for my 229R

Post imported post

FYI... The full size 45 USP Tactical has taller sights for use with a supressor and the USP compact tactical does not. I have both guns, so take my word for it. This is the reason the full size USP tactical 45will not work with a SERPA holster and the USP compact tactical 45will. I asked Blackhawk if they had any plans to make a holster for the full size USP .45 Tactical and the answer was no. The reason theygave me was the sight was too tall. I also have a Five-Seven FN which has sights just about as tall as the full size USP Tactical 45 and Blackhawk makes a SERPA for it, so I'm not sure why blackhawk would say it's because the sights are too tall. I Hope this helps.

Post imported post

True enough, but I recall someone posting a mod they did on the SERPA for the .45 USP full-size holster that then was able to fit the Tactical's taller sights.
    The Dogs of War are nothing compared to the Cats

Post imported post

Kivuli wrote:
    True enough, but I recall someone posting a mod they did on the SERPA for the .45 USP full-size holster that then was able to fit the Tactical's taller sights.

That would be me.

It voids the SERPA warranty, but it's never failed me and I carry the pistol very often. (I've also competed with that holster without any problems.)

Here's a link to the thread on this forum: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21637