• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Senate says no to emergency seizure of guns. New Richmond News

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.newrichmond-news.com/articles/index.cfm?id=15771&section=Wisconsin%20News&property_id=18

Wisconsin senators have voted to prevent the governor and local officials from seizing people’s guns in a state of emergency.

It happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. While emergency gun seizures have never happened in Wisconsin, senators voted 26-5 Thursday to make sure they don’t.The bill now goes to the governor.

Spokeswoman Jessica Erickson says Jim Doyle must review the measure before deciding if he’ll sign it. But if he doesn’t, Sen. Glenn Grothman, West Bend, says there’s plenty of support in both houses to override a veto.

Also Thursday, the Senate gave final legislative approval to making hospitals provide emergency contraception to rape victims who ask for it. The vote was 25-6.
Both houses approved the bill earlier, but the Senate had to ratify a minor change made by the Assembly. The contraception mandate now goes to Gov. Doyle, who says he’ll sign it.
The Senate also voted to raise the fee for snowmobile trail stickers from $18 to $35 for out-of-staters. Wisconsinites pay no such fee.

Pointman

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The Senate also voted to raise the fee for snowmobile trail stickers from $18 to $35 for out-of-staters.
So discouraging tourism is good for our economy...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pointman wrote
So discouraging tourism is good for our economy, [ ... ] Great leadership we have...

Thanks for the update, Doug.
'Tourism' is not an economy.

Do you live in a community or a 'commodity', do you wear whatever is your ethnic garb for the benefit of tourists? One of my intentions of OC is to discourage not-like -minded tourists. When we have our ethnic celebrations it's usually at night after the last ferry or on an even more remote island. The handmedown costumes come out and the old folks teach the dances. The young girls are stunningly beautiful.

I recommend Ferdinand Toennies' 'Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft', recently translated and published as 'Community and Civil-Society.'

My Island is dying of 'commodity' economics while struggling to be a functioning community. Our young folks (I'm ten years+ retired) can't make starting incomes of $50K, as the media leads them to expect, as handymen for retirees. They're leaving. We have too many wealthy summer residents that just attract more of the same.

I'll gore an elite's ox. The HOG-hoppers are the pits, shattering the serenity, dripping their cigarette butts, beer cans and only patronizing the ferry and bars. I will get the nuisance noise ordinance enforced!