• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Jaunt thru Steuben & DeKalb Counties

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

I wore my 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 in a crossdraw holster while out running some errands today. I left my coat in the truck so there was nothing to cover my revolver. The gas station attendant at the Meijer Store in Angola noticed, but never batted an eye. Next, I went to Scott's grocery store & bought a 6-pack of locally brewed beer & some groceries. I was walking around the store for about 1/2 hour. A few people noticed, but nobody made any untoward comments. The check out lady noticed & made no comment & didn't get big eyes either. The bag boy commented on my purchase of Blue Demon energy drink, but that was all he mentioned except for asking if I wanted paper or plastic. Next was a trip to the AutoZone for sparkplugs & an air filter. They only had 5 of the plugs I needed & the salesman tried really hard to get me to buy just 5. I told him I was going to Auburn & would stop at the AutoZone there. He grudgingly gave up trying to sell me only 5. I reckon he wasn't all that intimidated by my revolver. The man who rang up the sale for my air filter was friendly & visited with me for several minutes about the $1.00 coins I used to pay for my purchase. He was polite & friendly & I just gave the same back to him. It was nice. I left & stopped at the laundromat to pick up the laundry I'd left there 2 days earlier. The attendant did a double take but regained her composure quickly &told me about her nagging cold & complained about the weather.

I left Angola & drove on down to Auburn & walked into the AutoZone. The man at the counter saw my revolver & said, "How may I help you today?" I told him about the sparkplugs I wanted & he got them for me right away. He got a chuckle out of my telling him about the Angola man trying to get me to settle for 5 instead of 6. I left the AutoZone & went to the Mad Anthony Tap Room. I walked in & the waiter brought me a menu & asked what I wanted to drink. I ordered up a pint of their Auburn Lager. It was the first time in almost 10 years I had an alcoholic beverage in a bar or restaurant. The barmaid brought my beer & served it up with a smile and took my food order. I ordered a Black & Blue Burger with waffle fries. While waiting for my food, I just sat there & sipped on my beer & watched the rest of the customers sitting & visiting & drinking & eating & SMOKING CIGARETTES. My food arrived & I ate it. It was good. The beer was good. I'd quit smoking years ago, but I wanted a cigarette but didn't think it appropriate to just ask someone for one and I didn't want a whole pack, so I did without. Yeah, it was really bold of me to even contemplate smoking a cigarette.

As far as I'm concerned, alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store instead of a gov't agency. There used to be a place like that just across the state line in Montpelier, Ohio. It was Rowe's Recreation. You could go in there and drink beer and wine, smoke pipes, cigars or cigarettes, chew tobacco & spit in the cuspidors, get short order dining and buy guns, ammunition and fishing tackle as well as shoot pool and play cards. Today, you can only get something to eat in Rowe's. I miss the old Rowe's. We actually had some freedom back then.

I'm home now. It was a nice day. I didn't start any panic and nobody called the police on me.

squarepeg

imported post

Good to hear that nobody raised a stink about. It was a beautiful day today and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer for a change. But common man, a 5/6ths of a spark plug change will give you more poser and better fuel milage 5 out of every 6 miles. The 6th mile will sputter and back fire, but you had 5 good ones before that so its all good?:dude: