• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Special report: Guns in Virginia

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Moreso how do we know what was quote was what was said.

Years ago a high-school friend of mine set out to change the world by becoming a journalist. He quit within months because his editor told him what to write.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if many editors told reporters what sort of story was wanted. What angle to play up. What information to add. What to delete.

Space? Can't fit it all in? The quote was too long? Uh, huh. Sounds like a cover for selective editing.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I would have to give this story a D not only for the following lines which show her true feelings. Remember this woman worked at the Daily Worker Press before working at the Pile It so she has to keep her left wing street creds up. But also how some of the sections got long winded. There really wasn't much info in the series that people didn't already know if your interested enough to find out. I'm sure it got a lot of antis fired up though.

As a result, guns are now cheaper, more available and in more hands. The toll is told in the news: a relentless drumbeat of random violence. (This makes it appear as if every gun out there is used to commit crimes. You also went on to mention several gun crimes in the national news but only one story were a gun was used to prevent more deaths The Colorado church shootings which the woman wasn't acting as a security guard as she stated but was attending a service after her duties)

Some sneered and snickered at the speeches. Laughter broke out when the gun-control folks stretched out on the grass for a "lie-in" intended to symbolize the victims of firearms.

One woman rose on an elbow and eyed the gun-rights crowd.

"How dare you laugh!" she chastised. "How dare you!"
(makes her look like such the valient crusader standing up those gun rights bullies)

In the meantime, in Virginia, a firearm can be purchased with less oversight then a used car. (What oversight is there for buying a used car? Oh that's right there registered that's why they never hurt anyone)

Part 2
An AK-47 with five 30-round clips ($375). (I have never seen a deal that good if I had I would be the owner)
A Bushmaster, like the one the Beltway snipers used, complete with bipod ($1,300). (nothing like her using mass murder to pimp papers)
A Barrett .50-caliber rifle with scope, accurate at one mile ($3,200). (If they weren't available to the civilian market the compant would go under)

Seung-Hui Cho bought one of his weapons online
(He actually ordered his extra magazines or clips as she mistakenly calls them on line)

"At every show, there are guys who come and stand outside and offer money to people bringing their guns in. Half a dozen guys, maybe more. They buy anything they think they can make a buck on, then resell it on the street. I don't trust them."
(This last line sounds like a dealer whining about being under sold.

Bubba Ron

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I would have to give this story a D not only for the following lines which show her true feelings. Remember this woman worked at the Daily Worker Press before working at the Pile It so she has to keep her left wing street creds up. But also how some of the sections got long winded. There really wasn't much info in the series that people didn't already know if your interested enough to find out. I'm sure it got a lot of antis fired up though.

As a result, guns are now cheaper, more available and in more hands. The toll is told in the news: a relentless drumbeat of random violence. (This makes it appear as if every gun out there is used to commit crimes. You also went on to mention several gun crimes in the national news but only one story were a gun was used to prevent more deaths The Colorado church shootings which the woman wasn't acting as a security guard as she stated but was attending a service after her duties)

Some sneered and snickered at the speeches. Laughter broke out when the gun-control folks stretched out on the grass for a "lie-in" intended to symbolize the victims of firearms.

One woman rose on an elbow and eyed the gun-rights crowd.

"How dare you laugh!" she chastised. "How dare you!"
(makes her look like such the valient crusader standing up those gun rights bullies)

In the meantime, in Virginia, a firearm can be purchased with less oversight then a used car. (What oversight is there for buying a used car? Oh that's right there registered that's why they never hurt anyone)

Part 2
An AK-47 with five 30-round clips ($375). (I have never seen a deal that good if I had I would be the owner)
A Bushmaster, like the one the Beltway snipers used, complete with bipod ($1,300). (nothing like her using mass murder to pimp papers)
A Barrett .50-caliber rifle with scope, accurate at one mile ($3,200). (If they weren't available to the civilian market the compant would go under)

Seung-Hui Cho bought one of his weapons online
(He actually ordered his extra magazines or clips as she mistakenly calls them on line)

"At every show, there are guys who come and stand outside and offer money to people bringing their guns in. Half a dozen guys, maybe more. They buy anything they think they can make a buck on, then resell it on the street. I don't trust them."
(This last line sounds like a dealer whining about being under sold.
You are intitled to your opinion....I guess you don't believe in EDITORS....they must be like the Tooth Fairy to you....

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
You are intitled to your opinion....I guess you don't believe in EDITORS....they must be like the Tooth Fairy to you....
And you apparently aren't smart enough to realize that a reporter is going to give you the vibe they want you to have so they can get the story...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
And you apparently aren't smart enough to realize that a reporter is going to give you the vibe they want you to have so they can get the story...
Fellas, PLEEEEEEEZE.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Not someone that worked for the Daily Worker Press now the Pile It on. They never slant stories. :what:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think Bubba has a point about the editor's role. I sent some letters to the Daily Press a few years ago, and was discouraged to see how their editing not only weakened what I was trying to say, but made my letter so choppy it seemed poorly written as well. Still, I find myself agreeing with much that Glenglocker has to say. Some of Joanne's terminology, and the breathless, somewhat sensationalistic tone she used gave the impression she was aghast at some of the things that are possible here. This was the case in the first three installments anyway. At least her presentations weren't grossly tendentious and dismissive of self defense. The last installment today seemed the best of the lot. Her vignette of Phil Van Cleave was pretty good and her discussion of OCDO seemd evenhanded. But DAMN, it seems that Danbus has become the most famous OCer in Tidewater! And that 1911 of his really must have turned her on, because there were 2 or 3 close up shots of it in the series. I was amused that she thought OCDO stood for Open Carry Dining Out! Then again, that's mostly what we do, with an occasional appearance at city council meetings. :celebrate

In any event, more and more of the people in Tidewater must now realize that OC is 1) legal and 2) not such a big deal..... and Governor Kaine evidently supports it for at least another year!!! Someone should let Dick Saslaw know.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
SNIP ...tendentious...
PENALTY FLAG!! :):p

Using big words!!

Whats that mean? That she is talking with ten teeth?

Oh, here it is. From Answers.com: "Marked by a strong implicit point of view; partisan: a tendentious account of the recent elections."

Neplusultra

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
But DAMN, it seems that Danbus has become the most famous OCer in Tidewater! And that 1911 of his really must have turned her on, because there were 2 or 3 close up shots of it in the series.
Danbus was the guy in the orange shirt? Didn't look like him but I've only seen one or two photos from his homepage.

Did I read it right that he was found guilty? What happened, the PO came back from the west coast for the trial? What kind of sentence is he up for?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
But DAMN, it seems that Danbus has become the most famous OCer in Tidewater! And that 1911 of his really must have turned her on, because there were 2 or 3 close up shots of it in the series.
Danbus was the guy in the orange shirt? Didn't look like him but I've only seen one or two photos from his homepage.

Did I read it right that he was found guilty? What happened, the PO came back from the west coast for the trial? What kind of sentence is he up for?
This is the most recent thread and a better place to discuss that issue.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/8115-1.html

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I think Bubba has a point about the editor's role. I sent some letters to the Daily Press a few years ago, and was discouraged to see how their editing not only weakened what I was trying to say, but made my letter so choppy it seemed poorly written as well. Still, I find myself agreeing with much that Glenglocker has to say. Some of Joanne's terminology, and the breathless, somewhat sensationalistic tone she used gave the impression she was aghast at some of the things that are possible here. This was the case in the first three installments anyway. At least her presentations weren't grossly tendentious and dismissive of self defense. The last installment today seemed the best of the lot. Her vignette of Phil Van Cleave was pretty good and her discussion of OCDO seemd evenhanded. But DAMN, it seems that Danbus has become the most famous OCer in Tidewater! And that 1911 of his really must have turned her on, because there were 2 or 3 close up shots of it in the series. I was amused that she thought OCDO stood for Open Carry Dining Out! Then again, that's mostly what we do, with an occasional appearance at city council meetings. :celebrate

In any event, more and more of the people in Tidewater must now realize that OC is 1) legal and 2) not such a big deal..... and Governor Kaine evidently supports it for at least another year!!! Someone should let Dick Saslaw know.
I realize that what editors do but, to blame it on the editors for every negative comment in the story is not facing reality. Look at[size="-1"] Kerry Dougherty IMHO she has has a very libertarian view on a lot of subjects in her column. The best parts of the story were the little vignettes. Why? because they lacked her personal opinion. However that would have made for an even more boring story. You have remember, they are in the buisness of selling papers so of course there going to hype it up. I think some here might have been excited that we were going to geat a fair shake for once and I'll admit if I had gotten a little duped I would not want to be the first to admit it. As far as thinking what OCDO means that just shows what little research she did on that, but she sure new what kind of rifle the DC murders used or that the Barrett company needs civilian sales to stay afloat to keep the military supplied. That's why I only expect to get a fair shake from people like Glenn Beck and Tony Macrini, on the gun issue anyway. On a lighter note how could she think a 1911 is sexier then a GLOCK????
[/size]

Bubba Ron

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
So far we've recieved two emails and one phone call asking how to find out when and where the next dining out will take place....this past Tuesday we had several new faces join us at Primo's....and evidently Dave Parker (WNIS radio AM 790 with Tony Macrini) was there too, and he did a small piece on us during yesterday mornings show.