• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginian Pilot special series: "State of the Gun"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Video at http://hamptonroads.com/pilot/news/guns"

"Truth is, we're pretty much middle of the road when compared to all 50 states."

Part I

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/tech-massacre-only-heated-gun-debate-virginia

SNIP

"Historically rural, conservative and Southern, Virginia does have a gun-friendly reputation, especially when compared with its northern neighbors. It's legal to walk down a public street with a sidearm holstered to your hip – a fact that makes Virginia one of only 11 Gold Star states in rankings done by a gun-rights group called OpenCarry.org."

[OCDO NOTE:Actually, it's legal to do this in 44 states. And 29 states without any license. What makes VA and 10 other states Gold Star is that not only can you open carry, but you can open carry without any license on foot and in vehicles; further, localities must be preempted as to open carry, generally. CO would be a Gold Star State except the Colo. S. Ct. split 3-3 on Denver's Open Carry ban - a new justice is on that Court, and the next case should tip CO back to Gold Star status. Many other states will join Gold Star status as soon as their legislatures enact full preemption of localities]

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/groups-each-side-gun-debate-find-little-middle-ground

SNIP

"Virginia Citizens Defense League

The loudest of all Virginia gun groups, this organization got its start in 1994 as the Northern Virginia Citizens Defense League. Now with around 3,800 members, the VCDL usually works in lockstep with the NRA. Its Web site offers a list of "gun friendly" lawyers and a list of "gun unfriendly" businesses for its members to avoid."

[url]http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/can-us-cities-ban-guns-supreme-court-set-weigh[/url]

[url]http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/virginias-constitution-includes-right-bear-arms-too[/url]

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/milestones-gun-control

PavePusher

imported post

"It's a simple device, really. By modern standards, downright basic. A metal tube. A tiny explosion. A bit of lead that zips through the air at 4,000 feet per second and rips a hole in nearly anything in its path."

Wow. I want one of those. What model are they writing about?!

Tomahawk

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
"It's a simple device, really. By modern standards, downright basic. A metal tube. A tiny explosion. A bit of lead that zips through the air at 4,000 feet per second and rips a hole in nearly anything in its path."

Wow. I want one of those. What model are they writing about?!
A .17 magnum rifle?

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I think this woman has enough wrong info in her article to make anything she says suspect. The paragraph she opended today's with is just for shock value and I think let's everyone know how she really feels about guns. I really liked the part of the wussy marine that was sooooo worried about having a gun in his house. HE'S A MARINE FOR PETES SAKE!!!!! Also if him and his wife feel better in Guam then by all means they should leave the country. (If truth be told he probably lived on base) As a matter of fact perhaps he should the USA for Iraq.

swillden

imported post

I like the last section of part III. It quotes a trauma surgeon who treats gunshot victims daily and says his experience has convinced him that more gun control isn't the answer. The people who shoot his patients aren't the type who'd follow the rules anyway.

Jersey Ron

imported post

all i can say is God bless Virginia!! i lived in hampton and newport news for 4 years while going to school and i should have stayed!!! i live in new jersey now. GO FIGURE!!!! you guys/gals don't know how good you got it until you come to my state!!!! but anyway, i'm so sick of this whole gun debate to the point that i want to puke!!! let's say for some liberal @ss reason that guns are taken away from all of us law abiding citizens? then what?? criminals will still have guns and murders will still be at the same level; they'll just be commited MORE with knives, hammers, rocks, swords, clubs, bats, poison, home made bombs, drowning, choking, good ole @ss whuppin's, chairs, cross bows, etc, etc. sorry for the rant, but i'm just sick of all the bullsh*t!!

jersey ron

stryth

imported post

Jersey Ron wrote:
all i can say is God bless Virginia!! i lived in hampton and newport news for 4 years while going to school and i should have stayed!!! i live in new jersey now. GO FIGURE!!!! you guys/gals don't know how good you got it until you come to my state!!!! but anyway, i'm so sick of this whole gun debate to the point that i want to puke!!! let's say for some liberal @ss reason that guns are taken away from all of us law abiding citizens? then what?? criminals will still have guns and murders will still be at the same level; they'll just be commited MORE with knives, hammers, rocks, swords, clubs, bats, poison, home made bombs, drowning, choking, good ole @ss whuppin's, chairs, cross bows, etc, etc. sorry for the rant, but i'm just sick of all the bullsh*t!!

jersey ron
I lived up that way for a few years - I definitely feel your pain.

That's actually the most hilarious part about Brady, et all - they have no interest in stopping murder, suicide, or violent crime. They simply want those murders and suicides to be accomplished via other means.

KBCraig

imported post

A December shooting at a Colorado church cemented that opinion. Matthew Murray had two firearms and hundreds of rounds. Odds are, the death count would have climbed higher than four if a security guard hadn't been there to shoot back. That's when Murray turned the gun on himself.
No, ma'am. The Colorado shooting stopped when the shooter encountered a private citizen with nothing more than a state-issued license to carry a concealed handgun.

:cuss:

eyesopened

imported post

Jersey Ron wrote:
let's say for some liberal @ss reason that guns are taken away from all of us law abiding citizens? then what?? criminals will still have guns and murders will still be at the same level; they'll just be commited MORE with knives, hammers, rocks, swords, clubs, bats, poison, home made bombs, drowning, choking, good ole @ss whuppin's, chairs, cross bows, etc, etc. sorry for the rant, but i'm just sick of all the bullsh*t!!
Sounds like the UK to me :lol:

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I would have to give this story a D not only for the following lines which show her true feelings. Remember this woman worked at the Daily Worker Press before working at the Pile It so she has to keep her left wing street creds up. But also how some of the sections got long winded. There really wasn't much info in the series that people didn't already know if your interested enough to find out. I'm sure it got a lot of antis fired up though.

As a result, guns are now cheaper, more available and in more hands. The toll is told in the news: a relentless drumbeat of random violence. (This makes it appear as if every gun out there is used to commit crimes. You also went on to mention several gun crimes in the national news but only one story were a gun was used to prevent more deaths The Colorado church shootings which the woman wasn't acting as a security guard as she stated but was attending a service after her duties)

Some sneered and snickered at the speeches. Laughter broke out when the gun-control folks stretched out on the grass for a "lie-in" intended to symbolize the victims of firearms.

One woman rose on an elbow and eyed the gun-rights crowd.

"How dare you laugh!" she chastised. "How dare you!"
(makes her look like such the valient crusader standing up those gun rights bullies)

In the meantime, in Virginia, a firearm can be purchased with less oversight then a used car. (What oversight is there for buying a used car? Oh that's right there registered that's why they never hurt anyone)

Part 2
An AK-47 with five 30-round clips ($375). (I have never seen a deal that good if I had I would be the owner)
A Bushmaster, like the one the Beltway snipers used, complete with bipod ($1,300). (nothing like her using mass murder to pimp papers)
A Barrett .50-caliber rifle with scope, accurate at one mile ($3,200). (If they weren't available to the civilian market the compant would go under)

Seung-Hui Cho bought one of his weapons online
(He actually ordered his extra magazines or clips as she mistakenly calls them on line)

"At every show, there are guys who come and stand outside and offer money to people bringing their guns in. Half a dozen guys, maybe more. They buy anything they think they can make a buck on, then resell it on the street. I don't trust them."
(This last line sounds like a dealer whining about being under sold.