• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling thru on a motorcycle

Graywolf

imported post

Ill be traveling right thru your state on I-74 this summer.I have a ccw permit from ohio.My question is can you open carry in your state on a motorcycle.
And if not can you carry a gun at all thru your state.
Then once i get thru ill. i need suggestions on iowa.

junglebob

imported post

You can only open carry in Illinois in unincorporated areas. You are not allowed to open carry in a vehicle. When transporting firearms they must be unloaded and broken down or not immediately accessible unless you have a IllinoisFirearm Owner ID card, then the law says you can have it unloaded and encased. This is what some Illinoisans refer to as "fanny packing", transporting an unloaded firearm in a case with a loaded magazine, usually on your person. FOID cards are normally only issued to Illinoisans, but you could try getting one. The cost is $5 for 5 years, to go to $10 ( in June I believe) for 10 years. They should return your check if you are turned down. It involves filling out a form, answering questions and a background check, and takes a month. The Illinois State Police website has the form it is http://www.isp.state.il.us Be warned however that you may be arrested even with a FOID card, and home rule communities may have different local ordinances. In southern Illinois south of I64, basically south of St. Louis, I don't know of any that do. I know of nobody convicted of Unlawful Use of Weapons while "fanny pack transporting" that has been convicted however. Many in law enforcement are not knowledgeable about the law, so it is possible to be arrested.

You didn't mention what part of Illinois you would be traveling through but southern Illinois is much more gun friendly than the north east. Avoid the Chicago area if at all possible, even if you get a FOID card.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Graywolf wrote:
Ill be traveling right thru your state on I-74 this summer.I have a ccw permit from ohio.My question is can you open carry in your state on a motorcycle.
The CCW permit is irrelevant. here is at least part of the relevant code outlining illegal things.

[align=justify](720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a)(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:[/align]

[align=justify](i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;or[/align]

[align=justify](ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card[/align]

I would parse things this way. Since you are not an Illinois resident, you are not eligible for a FOID card, so exception (iii) is not available to you. That would leave you with exception (i) or (ii).

You might think this would allow you to keep a loaded gun in a way that is not immediately accessible but you would be out of luck there since the wildlife code prohibits loaded firearms in vehicles, and also makes some specificity regarding just how your unloaded firearm has to be encased.

AFAIK, Iowa is not much better. Getting a NR permit is possible, but normally they only issue NR permits for professional reasons or for documented threats, or LE personnel who are not commissioned officers.

Graywolf

imported post

Thanks for the info.So if i carry the gun in one locked saddlebag and the clip in the other locked saddlebag would that be allright.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Graywolf wrote:
Thanks for the info.So if i carry the gun in one locked saddlebag and the clip in the other locked saddlebag would that be allright.

IF the gun is encased and secured inside some kind of gun case as required by the wildlife code. A zippered gun case should be adequate. The wildlife code requires it be a case manufactured to hold guns, not the looser standard of the UUW act.

junglebob

imported post

Sorry Graywolf, you can't open carry on a motorcyle in Illinois, I'm sure it is considered a vehicle. You must transport your weapon broken down or not immediately accessible. I imagine the not immediately accessible is going to be hard even if you have a sidecar. If you have an Illinois Firearm Owners ID or FOID card you could transport unloaded in a case with loaded magazine also in the case. FOID cards are normally issued to Illinois firearm owners, but the application does have a spot for city and state so you might try getting one, takes about a month and cost is $5 for 5 years going to $10 for 10 years in June or July. It is issued by the Illinois State Police, if that interests you go to their website http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ you can download an application there. If you try for the FOID let me know what happens, they should issue in about 30 days (state requirement) or refund your money.

If you have the FOID card Illinois law doesn't state where the case must be so some folks like myself use a "fanny pack case" and transport that way. Could that get you arrested, maybe, just like open carrying in some places. No one I know of yet convicted though. I am not a lawyer, your results may vary.

Don't know how I missed seeing I had posted ealier.Anyway be warned that in Illinois an Unlawful Use of Weapons charge is a felony.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Graywolf wrote:

Here, think of it this way....

Substitute "Illinois" with "Nazi Germany, 1939"...

Then you will be in the general vicinity of Illinois Law, in regards to firearms.