• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC report for Pullman

Dave The Welder

imported post

steelcoreap wrote:
Luke just got a new AR that you're going to love.
WTF?!?!?!? Won't this be Luke's fourth gun purchase in less than a month? He already bought a Springfield Operator and a S&W revolver. Where's this guy's money coming from? He is in college after all.

JB

imported post

Like the good doctor, I won't be in the area untill late sunday. I have a pretty lax schedule if you guys wanna go during the week or I'm good to go on another weekend. As for the range, I'm of no help there. This is my first semester in Moscow.

surfj9009

imported post

damn! I wish I wasn't stuck on this ship. I'd love to bring my new Mossberg cruiser and the Grendel down. Oh well, when I get home I'll have a new 1911 to shoot also so we will have to get together.

steelcoreap

imported post

To answer a previous question about the Moscow range, their rules say that there can be no hot weapons on the range unless you are ready to shoot. So by their rules a loaded concealed pistol would be a no no. But its one of those things that if its concealed then who would know right? Not that I am advocating breaking the rules. Also know that it is a members and guest only range and they are pretty strict about that.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Hey guys, sorry for the slow response. I haven't been able to get a hold of my friend with the land (I think I might have heard him talking about being in California this week) so unless somebody else has a place to go or a membership to the Moscow range, I'm thinking that we may just have to settle for an OC lunch or dinner with everybody. Sorry about this, it was mainly due to a lack of planning ahead of time on my part. Let's at least try to salvage what we can and all get together.

G27

imported post

I am staying until Monday morning so I will be here all day tomorrow. :) Just give me a call tomorrow sometime. I posted this in the Idaho forum section, too. So maybe we can get a few more people.

G27

imported post

So needless to say we had our open carry dinner over here in Pullman. It was actually in Moscow, Idaho because there is no good restaurants over in Pullman but I got to meet quite a bit of new people and it was extremely fun.

We ate dinner at Winger's with no problems and just as we paid a manager came and told us that Luke needed to put his firearm in his car. He replied that Idaho was an Open Carry state. The manager at that time didn't want to talk about it any further and b told us it was private property and that he needed to go put it in the car. We then proceeded to leave. Dave and Kevin went back in to ask the manager what was up with it. The wife didn't want me getting arrested and she wasn't about to let me go back in. I called Dave to see if he needed to be bailed out and he said the manager was nicer about the subject the second time around and just said that some people had complained about it and that he wanted to make everyone happy. So I guess Winger's won't be our next choice as they clearly don't support us open carrying there. He said we were welcome to come back, as long as the guns were left in the car. I don't believe this is corporate policy but I won't be going back nonetheless. A manager is supposed to represent a company, and this left a bad taste in my mouth. But I've come to expect that.

The interesting side of the story is that the people that were scared of our firearms is one of the girl's friends. He said that they were scared by a bunch of guys sitting next to them with guns. She told him to grow up. I was actually impressed by the wife's change of attitude on the whole subject and she completely supports us now. I was thrilled to see her stick up for the "bunch of crazy guys carrying guns."

Thanks to everyone that came out. It was awesome meeting you Dave and Kevin. You need to tell your friend Luke to come and join the board. It would be nice to see a new poster. Also, Kevin, what screen name do you go on under this board?

steelcoreap

imported post

Dave, it was great meeting you tonight. I had a lot of fun. Luke should be joining the board tonight and I told him it was his responsibility to write the report for this meeting but it looks like you beat him to it. Dave (the other one) should join in here shortly with some more info as he and I both had our recorders going when we were talking to the manager. One thing to add is I'm sure the manager thought that Luke was the only one carrying and he didnt notice Dave and myself were armed as well untill we were done talking to him. He seemed like a nice guy and was trying to go along with the owners wishes. I think I'll try some other restaruants in Moscow to see if I get similar responses.
Kevin

Dave The Welder

imported post

Here's Kevin's and my story of talking to the manager:

Kevin and I decided that this would be a great opportunity to talk with a manager about open carry so we headed back into the restaurant and asked the lady at the front if we could speak with the manager. When he approached us, we identified ourselves as part of table that Luke was at when the manager had asked Luke to leave. I asked him if it was store policy to ask people with visible firearms to leave. He replied that pretty much, anywhere in Moscow, if the restaurant or bar didn't have a gun check, then the firearm needed to be left in the vehicle. I replied that I knew that a firearm couldn't be carried in a bar but was unaware of any law requiring me to disarm before entering a restaurant. He said, "just think about it, we're a family restaurant and people get uneasy about stuff like that." I said that we were all family and friends and that we had all just arrived back in town and wanted to get together for dinner. The manager replied, "he's (referring to Luke) right, this is an open carry state. You could walk down the middle of down town and nobody could do a damn thing, and it's cool. I think it's great, but just leave it in the truck." I thanked him and told him that we wanted to make sure that we hadn't caused any problems, and he replied that we hadn't, at which point we left.

The quotes above were directly off of my voice recorder. Looking back, there was a lot that I could have said, but I was trying to say as little as possible (so that I didn't sound like I was lecturing him) while saying as much as possible. I have the recording if anybody is interested.

G27

imported post

Dave, just so that you are aware you can carry in a bar in Idaho if you so wish. The only places you can not carry in Idaho is in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility, adult correctional facility, prison, jail, public school or private school. Everywhere else is fair game, unless you get kicked out! :D

DMR-223

imported post

So it looks like Dave beat me to the post about our dinner tonight. So in the spirit of not making my first post on this forum be completly redundant and pointless.. I will just add that this is the second time in two days that I have been confronted while carrying, However i believe this to primarily due to the sweatshirt I was wearing, its completly white and makes my serpa and 1911 stand out like a sore thumb. I have been open carrying almost everywhere for the last two weeks, both here in pullman and back in olympia and the only time anyone has said anything other than positive inquisitions, has been when i wear that white sweat shirt. I always have dressed up a bit when I OC just to try and present an image other then whats expected. just goes to show what a difference it makes.

surfj9009

imported post

yeah!!! Welcome to the board luke! I wish I could have been there. What was the total headcount? If I wasn't on this damn ship right now I would have totally been there. Next time for sure. I'll be back in Spokane on April 11th. Well have to plan another one.

G27

imported post

There was G27/Dave and the girl, then there was Dave the welder/Dave, and steelcoreap/Kevin, DMR-223/Luke, and Luke's "friend" Kelly. :D
So there was six of us total. It woulda been nice to have some more there but for a casual get together i was impressed how many showed up. Can't wait to get out there again and do it.