• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My tales of Open Carry in Pittsburgh

imperialism2024

imported post

As for the LEO encounter, I'd show my LTCF (if I had one :)) and kindly inform him that I'm only doing it make things run smoother and that I was under no legal obligation to do so. Just personal preference, though.

VAopencarry

imported post

Thanks for sharing that story Prophet. Now I have even more reason to not cover up if asked. Damn trickery!!:D I would have went back to OC after I showed ID.

Springfield45

imported post

I have only covered up ONCE at the request of an LEO, ('ve been asked a total of 3 times by LEO). The reason I covered, and didn't "cause a stink" was because I was at Wal-Mart gettin batteries for my voice recorder... as it was not functional at the time, I figured I'd better not take the chance of wishing I had it, covered up, and ended the confrontation.....

Otherwise, I'm not covering up at the request of an LEO....If the property owner askes me to leave if I refuse, fine, no problem...If they need to know why I won't cover at that point, it's simply because I wouldn't want to suffocate such a pretty P220 ;-)

~~Springfield

Prophet

imported post

Another good day of OC'ing here in the steel city. It was warm out so I just had a short sleeved shirt on and 1911 on my hip. Went to the bank. As usual no one freaked out and no there were no hushed whispers. Then I went to put a little gas into my car. I went into the BP and gave the guy some cash and as I was leaving he said "excuse me, are you a cop?" This wasnt the accusatory "you better be a cop or Im gonna be scared" tone that some people get when they ask, this was more out of genuine curiosity. I said no and he thought it was really cool that someone was walking around with his freedom on his hip. He inquired if i needed a permit to open carry to which i said no, you just need to be 18 but 21 if you want to carry concealed. I remember the last thing he said to me before I walked out the door, he just got a big smile on his face and breathed "freedom".

To which i replied to myself, amen.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Prophet wrote:
Another good day of OC'ing here in the steel city.

:D I was also truely open carrying here in the 'Burgh today, down in Robinson at North Park Clubhouse (A Sports Bar) for dinner, and at the Wallmart right there too...

Also down in Carnegie for some new boots at Hanna's Clothing.

As usual, no stares, no gossip and no police.

I love warm weather :D

:celebrate

Farmer Troy

imported post

I shop at Hanna's all the time for work clothes . . . great place.

I'm not surprised that he didn't make a fuss . . . He's a decent man.

Farmer Troy

imported post

Good story . . . that's awesome that you deterred those scum from robbing the place . . . where's the news when you need them, they should be covering stories like this!!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

An armed robbery didn't occur at the pizza joint and people weren't killed, so in the eyes of the Brady Bunch it didn't happen. You were one of those right-wing gun-nuts who scare people off. For shame.

Sarcasm switch off.

Good job. How about if the people at the pizza joint keep some artillery under the counter, and learn how to use it. The painted outline of a body on the floor may well further stop future non-events.

Farmer Troy

imported post

Speaking of pizza, robbers & guns . . .

http://kdka.com/local/Clairton.Pizza.delivery.2.694375.html

Pizza Man Turns Tables On Would-Be Robbers

Apr 8, 2008 12:07 am US/Eastern

CLAIRTON (KDKA) ― A couple of Clairton teenagers who planned to hold up a pizza delivery man picked the wrong target. When one of them pulled out a fake gun, the driver whipped out the real thing.

Someone called Uno's Pizza last Thursday, placed a $30 order for two pizzas and a hoagie and had it delivered to the Century Town Homes neighborhood on Lincoln Avenue.

Matt Lasich, the driver, spotted the would-be robbers when he arrived at about 9:15 p.m. One of them vanished behind what appeared to be a vacant house and the other confronted him.

Lasich says the boy pulled out the toy gun and pointed it at his chest. When he tried to get back to his car, the teen tried to get into his pocket where the driver kept his loaded .40 caliber pistol.

Lasich,who has had a license to carry a gun for the past five years,pulled out hisweapon and the teen ran away.

He says this is the first time he's had a problem like this since starting his job last August.

Clairton Police are investigating.

Prophet

imported post

oh yeah...one more thing...while the uniformed cop was releasing me from my cuffs he said that i should conceal because, "this isnt texas" to which i said that open carry isnt legal in the state of texas. His response is that its too bad we dont live in texas. This guy was itching to bust me for something.

Its funny how many people assume that an OC'er is trying to emulate a texan when texans cant legally oc in the first place. Too many dime store novels and spaghetti westerns i tell ya.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Interesting... I OC all the time down in that part of Oakland and never had a problem...

Even was down there OCing last night during the Semple Street "fair" (AKA Riot) with about 30 or 40 cops wandering around

In general I've found the Pittsburgh Police to be well versed on OC.

PavePusher

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Well, a first for me in the state of PA...I was thrown into some cuffs. I was talking to some friends at the corner of Dawson and Semple when a LEO vehicle comes wizzing up. My friend thinks its because he's illegally parked I smile and say simly "no, this ones for me". The officer comes pops out of his car pulls his weapon and says, nodding to my 1911, "whats that". I say my sidearm, he throws me in cuffs, takes my .45 and rather forcefully throws me on my buddies car. He asks if i have a permit, considering Im all ready in cuffs i decide not to get into a deeper discussion about legality until he calms down a little. So i tell him i do have a permit but that i dont need one if i am open carrying unless im in Philadelphia.

To this the officer responds are you sure? I say yes. He actually says "are you positive" to which i again say yes. He empties my pockets and wallets, goes into his car and starts to call it in when another car comes roaring up with three plain clothes in it. Now, these guys were all level headed and either knew the law or were willing to listen to what I thought the law was. Simply put they said that it might not be wise to oc but that i was not in any way wrong in doing so. They uniform asked who he should call it in to, the plain clothes said one of 2 names but that all they were going to do was chew him out. So the plain clothes and I chat it up while the uniform is filling out his report. The uniform gives me my .45 back and the plain clothes ask that i not load it until they leave to which i politely said fine.

They leave then the uniform says that i need to conceal when i carry. To that i simply grin and say "is that in the state penal code or is it just your opinion"...he hesitated for a moment then said it was his suggestion. I think he was going to actually lie to me for a split second but i cant be certain. That was almost the best part...but the REAL best part was after all the cops left and i reholstered my pistol. Three girls from across the street were sitting on their stoop watching it all transpire (i think they worked for the hospital since one was in a nurses outfit) when i reholstered they started cheering and gave me some applause. :celebrate

Another day in the life of an OC'er!
Sounds like time to write a letter to the PD and request they give their officers some supplemental training. Add a compliment to the more experienced officers for knowing the law...:?