• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber 1911 for $585...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, I have an opportunity to purchase a standard Kimber 1911 Custom II .45, blued, for $585 out the door. No night sights or anything, just the standard Custom II. Brand new, in box. The MSRP is $795, and the cheapest I could find it online (before tax and FFL fees) is $699. $585 seems like a REALLY good price for this handgun, but I wanted to run it past you guys first :D.

So, do you guys think this is a good price? Should I bite the bullet (no pun intended) and buy this now, or will I be able to find this price at a later date when it's more convenient?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Well, if you're in the market for a 1911, that's a great deal. Just beware: Buyinga "plain" 1911 is asking for it, "it" being spending a bunch more money on all of the parts to customize/trick out the gun. Trust me, I've got a Kimber package that's worth about $2K once I total out everything I've done to/gotten for it. Wonderful gun, though! Kimbers do like their 1500 round break-in period, and a couple of Wilson Combat 47D mags never hurt, either! Good luck, and I'm sure we'll see pics in the near future-----?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I'm sure I'll want to put more money into it eventually. What I want to do is pick up a good solid 1911 for carry now, and not put too much money into it. In the long run, I will some day have a nice, "dress" sidearm. Preferrably a nickle plated, custom engraved 1911. THAT is what I'll throw the money into.

I had been looking at the Rock Island Armory 1911 for quite a while, but the non-ambi safety and non-beavertail grip safety, along with reports of questionable reliabilityhave kept me from buying. The tactical RIA would be great, but it has been impossible to find. I had considered the Taurus PT1911 as well, but the dang thing is just ugly, and I am again slightly concerned about reliability.

I'm just wondering if the Kimber name is really worth it...

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Sounds like a great deal. It would be a great addition to a well rounded collection. I'm not a huge fan of 1911's, but I love a good deal. I couldn't pass that up. The latest GanderMTN. ad in VA is advertising a standard Kimber 1911 retail $799 don't think I didn't contemplate it. Good Luck.

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

I own 3 1911's: Colt 70 Series Lightweight Commander, Colt 80 series Gold Cup and a Kimber Custom CDP II. I've loved them all, butthe Kimber is by far thebest of the lot. For an"out of the box" weapon, they simply can't be beat.Fit, finish and function are superb... If you decide not to buy that weapon, let me know, I'm interested!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well it sounds like I shouldn't pass this deal up. Not sure if I can afford it in the long run, but if push comes to shove, I'm sure I could sell a broken-in Kimber to SOMEONE on this forum for a decent price :D.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I bought that same pistol at a gun show for $600, and sold it for $ 700 a month later. (My wife said it cost too much.)
I say do it! That is a hell of a deal!

custom.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:Missed it by 20 minutes :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: