• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My letter to the editor in today's newspaper! Please read!

imperialism2024

imported post

Good article. Did it appear exactly as you wrote it, or did the newspaper edit it first?

I ask because the last time I wrote a letter to the editor of my regional newspaper, giving some opinion on shall issue/may issue but mostly just correcting the butchering they did of PA firearms law, they severely edited what I wrote and basically made me sound like an illiterate gun nut. :?

tattedupboy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Bravo. Hear hear.

Better to have written 'utterly ineffective is gun control' than "...utterly ineffective gun control is." You might look into the differences between the very similar 'in spite of' and 'despite.'

Great name too!
I wrote it exactly the way I meant it. I have been working at the English lab at the local university for almost eight years now, and I have become quite adept at writing and editing. So, as for "...utterly ineffective gun control is" and "in spite of" and "despite" I knew what I was doing. Thanks for being so observant.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hmmm, exactly of what was I so observant that you complimented and dismissed my observation? Without standards there are no standards, especially in a writing-lab. Thus we have post-modern 'journalism' as edu-tainment. PHUI

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$