Thread: Range Report

Post imported post

Well ladies and gents, I've got a range report for you. I went to Ommelanden on saturday and borrowed Dave-in-Delaware's XD-9 service model. For all you ammo geeks, I used simple Winchester 115 grain FMJ for the shoot. Funny story about the ammunition though I went to Walmart and went to the sporting goods counter, there was no one there. I guess the ammo boy went to lunch, with the keys for the cabinet. So I waited for about 30 mins at the counter untilamanager showed up. I asked him if he could get the ammo guy. He said he went to lunch and the guy took the keys. While I waited the manager said I would get a big discount so I stuck around. When the guy came back I got 200 rounds for 19 bucks. They normally cost 9.97 for a box of 50! So that was good. I then took my rounds and headed off to the range. This was my first time shooting and XD so I was a little skeptical but boy was a suprised. It was humanly impossible to aim this thing wrong. It pointed perfectly and the weight was great. I was putting groups in the black like you wouldn't believe! The only malifunction I had was a FTE which resulted in a double feed around the 4th mag I shot.I'mthinking this was the ammo. All in all though I had a wonderful shoot. I will definately be getting one of these soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

State Researcher

Post imported post

They have a new model with a thumb safety. May want to look at this model and see if you'd prefer it with or without.

Post imported post

Well it really wouldn't matter to me. The beretta model 92 that I carried in the marines had one. I really got used to it being there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm kinda wishing mine had one. Maybe I'll pick up... well, nevermind, I don't want to have to have ANOTHER set of new sights installed, heh.

Regular Member dave_in_delaware's Avatar

Post imported post

Glad you liked the XD so much. I should have had you stay a few minutes for a field-strip and cleaning session, because man! My little XD is dirty!! But that's a good thing: it means she was well-used. LOL.

I saw the thumb safety advertised on newer models. Personally, I think it's a dumb idea. The XD's already have a grip safety AND a trigger safety. Which means the only way it'll fire is if you're holding it the proper way. Another safety (thumb) is simply unnecessary overkill. But that's just my 2¢.Some of you may like the extra safety.

And that's good deal on the ammo. Iwish I'd get an offer like that for waiting for the stupid Wal-Mart sporting goods department staff to show up from whatever they're doing.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Global Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

I agree, the great thing about the XD-9 is that it has redundant safeties. Adding more is just going down a path of diminishing returns.

Post imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
    Glad you liked the XD so much. I should have had you stay a few minutes for a field-strip and cleaning session, because man! My little XD is dirty!! But that's a good thing: it means she was well-used. LOL.

I saw the thumb safety advertised on newer models. Personally, I think it's a dumb idea. The XD's already have a grip safety AND a trigger safety. Which means the only way it'll fire is if you're holding it the proper way. Another safety (thumb) is simply unnecessary overkill. But that's just my 2¢.Some of you may like the extra safety.

And that's good deal on the ammo. Iwish I'd get an offer like that for waiting for the stupid Wal-Mart sporting goods department staff to show up from whatever they're doing.
    You just have to complain and give the managers a hard time. They will hook you up.