• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wright Park Sunday Morning

Mainsail

imported post

I’m somewhat hesitant to report this since it’s tough to discuss something that only might have happened and then attempt to draw a conclusion from that. I’ll throw it out for discussion though.

On Sunday morning I walked the three blocks from my house to the Harvester Restaurant at the corner of Tacoma Ave North and Division. This is part of my routine; read the paper and eat breakfast then take a lap or two around Wright Park. While walking along the path at the southern end of the park (time was about 9:30am), I noticed two young men (18ish), walking abreast, approaching from the opposite direction. That alone is unusual because it’s always been homeless persons or other walkers/joggers in the park that early in the morning. Another walker who was behind me had passed me and was now about 50 feet or more ahead, so I was alone but not in any remote area, I was walking the path along the perimeter.

The path is wide enough for five or more to walk abreast and I moved to the right side of the path to let them pass. When the two young men were about 20 feet away, the taller of the two, who was walking to the far left (from my POV), crossed in front of his partner so that they were no longer abreast, but in line. He was looking directly at me and appeared as though he would continue towards me. I was watching him from behind my sunglasses with my face still pointed ahead down the path; my hands were in the tube-pocket of my sweatshirt. Bells began to ring a little because this seemed like an unusual move. I was watching his face, but in hindsight should have been watching his hands as well.

About ten feet apart and closing, the taller one suddenly noticed the Sig on my right side, somewhat obscured by my elbow because my hands were in the pocket. He threw up his hands (like a surrender) and said, “Whoa man!” He immediately returned to the far left side of the path along side the other young man and we passed. I never spoke but just kept walking while keeping the rear-radar up and a quick glance back to make sure they were still moving.

Now, I cannot say with any certainty whether or not they had something they wanted to discuss with me, but the little voice was telling me they were up to no good. I don’t have anything else to add to it, I just thought it was interesting enough to post.

Decoligny

imported post

Good use of situational awareness. You went from Condition Yellow to Condition Orange and your OC in all probability just de-escalated a possible mugger getting shot by an armed citizen,down to a surprised walker incident.

compmanio365

imported post

Heh, guy wasn't expecting his "prey" to have teeth........:D

Sounds like the guy had plans to ruin your day, but instead you ruined his.........I'd go along with your conclusion and say he was going to try something stupid until he noticed your gun.....why else would he react the way he did if he was just "walking along"?

just_a_car

imported post

I would vote that his simple reaction of throwing up his arms in surrender implied his nefarious intentions. If he didn't want you to originally consider him a threat and thus be able to intimidate and/or attack you, then he wouldn't have presented a "I'm unarmed" position to de-escalate his (to you, at the time) possible nefarious intentions.

Like you said, hard to tell if he was just someone that was surprised by the sidearm, but either way, good on you for your situational awareness.

What's funny is I always thought that my situational awareness went up when I CC'd/OC'd, but I found that I made that assumption after I started carrying regularly. Then I had to go to {insert what I do instead of work} and had disassembled my Glock for cleaning, but hadn't had time the night before and didn't have time to reassemble in the morning (had to rush out). I found that I was more cautious and my comfort zone for people was at least another 10 feet further than when I had my sidearm. It didn't help any that I had lost my pocket knife a couple months before and hadn't replaced it... all I had to fall back on was my training in Judo and Kenpo Karate. I don't know about any of you, but even with my martial training, I fear a hand-to-hand combat that may be a "serious injury or death" result.

just_a_car

imported post

deanf wrote:
Sounds like he was alarmed.
Maybe, but I'd say he wouldn't be considered a "reasonable person" in the respect of State v. Casad. ;)

...and honestly, I hope to God that any would-be attacker is alarmed at finding his victim capable of defending themselves. Perhaps it will make him think twice about his choice of lifestyle.

Mainsail

imported post

Like I said, they might have been as pure as the wind driven snow, but my gut says otherwise. As I continued around the park I thought about several things, including calling the cops (although they didn’t really do anything). I thought about concealed carry and the time it would take to draw from concealment. In this case I would not have had time. I also thought about the people who carry, either by choice or law, only in a deep concealment manner like an ankle holster. If, and it’s a big if, there was something about to happen, it was three to five seconds from happening. Their behavior wasn’t sufficiently suspicious to warrant drawing or even reaching for a weapon, and maybe they know that (tactics). So if their intent was to pull a weapon of their own, and my weapon is concealed, they would easily get the drop on me. It occurs to me that in certain circumstances, a concealed weapon may make one more vulnerable even if the assailant brought a knife to the gunfight.

Another thing I considered was carrying without a chambered round (I don’t carry that way), and again, there would not have been time to draw, perform a two-handed chambering procedure, and get on target. In all honesty, during my self critique, I realized that with the distances and time involved, even my OC draw from the Serpa would have been problematic.

So even though nothing happened and nothing may have been about to happen, it gave me an appreciation for the very limited time involved if an incident were to go down. The enemy uses surprise and speed, and we are always at a disadvantage.

Fudster

imported post

I'm a new member, and until a week ago, didn't even know that OC was legal. I've been reading this forum as part of my OC and concealed education. I have a question about this event at Wright Park. If a person has a CPL, would it have been okay to have a pistol inside a sweatshirt tube pocket like you did, to be ready in case something like this did become serious really fast. I can't imagine drawing a weapon from a belt holster quickly enough if the attacker jumps at you from a few feet away.

just_a_car

imported post

Fudster wrote:
I'm a new member, and until a week ago, didn't even know that OC was legal. I've been reading this forum as part of my OC and concealed education. I have a question about this event at Wright Park. If a person has a CPL, would it have been okay to have a pistol inside a sweatshirt tube pocket like you did, to be ready in case something like this did become serious really fast. I can't imagine drawing a weapon from a belt holster quickly enough if the attacker jumps at you from a few feet away.
Yes, with a CPL, you can carry a weapon concealed in your shirt or pocket or however you deem necessary. It would be prudent to use a pocket holster, but certainly not required by law.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Mainsail

imported post

Fudster wrote:
If a person has a CPL, would it have been okay to have a pistol inside a sweatshirt tube pocket like you did, to be ready in case something like this did become serious really fast.
Legal yes, practical no. You'd have to keep one hand in the pocket at all times to support it. I was carrying the Alaskan on my belt this weekend with a speedloader in that pocket. It fell out every time I bent over.

G27

imported post

Sometimes if I am running out the door and wearing shorts that have deep pockets I'll throw my glock 27 in there; In a sleeved holster, of course! I have foundUncleMike's inside the waistband with the back plastic thing removed makes these kinds of carry safe and easy.