• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham + Tasers?

DrewGunner

imported post

I've got a friend who lives in bellingham that was pulled over last night. Cop asks if there were any weapons in the car. Friend said there was a taser in the glove box. My taser, technically a "stun gun", whichI left in his glovebox. Cop takes it, says its illegal in the city limits of bellingham, and makes my friend follow him outside the city limits to give it back to him.

I'm assuming that the 'stun gun' is covered under RCW 9.41.270 as a weapon capable of producing bodily harm? But its not a firearm so 9.41.290 doesn't apply? Is there state preemption for 'weapon capable of producing bodily harm' or just firearms.

Please tell me that the next time this happens he can tell the cop to go pound sand.

carhas0

imported post

Your friend is lucky he didn't get arrested for the misdemeanor...

City of Bellingham Municipal Code Title 10 CRIMINAL CODE 10.30.020 -

STUN GUNS, TASERS AND SIMILAR DEVICES

A. Possession, sale or use prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity to sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer to any other individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity a stun gun, TASER, or similar electronic or energy device or weapon which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric or energy shock to such a person. It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such electronic or energy device or weapon within the Bellingham City limits.
B. Exceptions. This section shall not apply to any member of the Bellingham Police Department or other authorized law enforcement officer while in the performance of his or her official duties or to any electronic or energy device or weapon designed solely and exclusively for animal control purposes.
C. Penalties. Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor. [Ord. 2005-10-006]

John Hardin

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:

A. Possession, sale or use prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity to sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer to any other individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity a stun gun, TASER, or similar electronic or energy device or weapon which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric or energy shock to such a person. It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such electronic or energy device or weapon within the Bellingham City limits.
B. Exceptions. This section shall not apply to any member of the Bellingham Police Department or other authorized law enforcement officer while in the performance of his or her official duties or to any electronic or energy device or weapon designed solely and exclusively for animal control purposes.
C. Penalties. Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor. [Ord. 2005-10-006]
Tell your friend to get a cattle prod. I wonder if they make them in Baton form, with the cross handle...?

Bear 45/70

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:

Tell your friend to get a cattle prod. I wonder if they make them in Baton form, with the cross handle...?
So it's OK for the cops to have them but not the citizens. Something really wrong with that attitude. A real elitism situation.

Bear 45/70

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Thanks bellingham for giving your citizens the optionof less than lethal force. What a joke.
Yeah, it does appear they would prefer you shot someone rather than Tazer them. Of course you can't expect politicians to make sense, can you?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
Thanks bellingham for giving your citizens the optionof less than lethal force. What a joke.
Yeah, it does appear they would prefer you shot someone rather than Tazer them. Of course you can't expect politicians to make sense, can you?
Politicians making sense? My brain hurts now Bear.

uncoolperson

imported post

yeah, bellingham does suck for that.

but when i'm asked why i need a gun, why don't a just get a "taser" (stun-gun) it makes for an easy response.

G27

imported post

So I guess all those college girls and WWU use those little blue emergency stands as their self defense? Classic, government solution. Ifeel sorrythe people that have to break the law to defend themselves and feel safe.

DrewGunner

imported post

G27 wrote:
So I guess all those college girls and WWU use those little blue emergency stands as their self defense? Classic, government solution. Ifeel sorrythe people that have to break the law to defend themselves and feel safe.
I've got a girlfriend that goes to WWU, she was robbed at gunpoint on her way to class last year. No blue botton in sight, too young to carry a gun, oh and its illegal to carry a taser... I guess she could have used her pepper spary, but I'm sure if Bellingham hasn't made that illegal, WWU has. Pepper spray vs a gun, not recommend tho...

Oh shit, I forgot. Just comply... duh.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
The difference is that they don't get to decide whether you shoot them due to state preemption. I can guarantee that the day state preemption went away B'ham would outlaw firearms within the city limits.

heresolong

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
G27 wrote:
I've got a girlfriend that goes to WWU, she was robbed at gunpoint on her way to class last year. No blue botton in sight, too young to carry a gun, oh and its illegal to carry a taser... I guess she could have used her pepper spary, but I'm sure if Bellingham hasn't made that illegal, WWU has. Pepper spray vs a gun, not recommend tho...

Oh shit, I forgot. Just comply... duh.
Even if pepper spray is illegal animal sprays such as Bear spray are perfectly legal. ( at least in many jurisdictions). Canada is one example. You can't take Mace across the border but you can have a can of bear spray.

Have her buy a can of Bear spray that is clearly labeled as such and carry it. If she gets busted she can claim she heard that bears were wandering into the area. If she gets mugged, well, why not use it if you have it.

cut_cutta

imported post

My GF goes to WWU too. She didnt feel safe walking around campus late at night so i got her pepper spray and a taser. She's not old enough to have a gun. This year, down the street from WWU, someone broke into her APT and stole nothing but panties and a night gown. While she was asleep. Then the police never even came to investigate.

Apparently it's illegal for my gf to have a taser or a handgun, so I guess the police are supposed to protect her.....

2 days ago I saw a jeep get flipped over from a 30 mph fender bender. I tried to call 911 for 10 minutes, all i got the whole time was a 'busy signal'.

Stay classy Bellingham. And stay safe...