• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Local ordinances search group

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

I found this in Flint's ordinances...

=====================================================

§ 31-20 FIREARMS— HANDLING, FIRING AND THE LIKE.
(a) Definition. The word FIREARM except as otherwise specifically defined in this code, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, except an officer in the discharge of his duties, to draw, flourish or fire any firearm in the City, except as authorized by law; provided, that nothing contained herein shall prohibit the drawing, flourishing or firing of air guns or firearms in duly licensed firing ranges or shooting galleries.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless it is unloaded and in a case, except as authorized by law.

(d) Any person observed doing any of those things prohibited by this section shall be required to represent to any peace officer, forthwith, evidence of authorization that the person is exempt from the provisions thereof.

This wouls seem to prohibit open carry in the city of Flint. Might be relevant considering your proposed gathering in Flint next Sat.

Is this a case where the preemption clause would prohibit Flint from enforcing that ordinance?

Every Flint cop I've talked to says open carry is illegal. Maybe this is why they think that way.

Later,

Graydon

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Graydon wrote:
(d) Any person observed doing any of those things prohibited by this section shall be required to represent to any peace officer, forthwith, evidence of authorization that the person is exempt from the provisions thereof.
Sounds like all that is needed is to carry the preemption clause.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Graydon wrote:
I found this in Flint's ordinances...

§ 31-20 FIREARMS— HANDLING, FIRING AND THE LIKE.
(a) Definition. The word FIREARM except as otherwise specifically defined in this code, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, except an officer in the discharge of his duties, to draw, flourish or fire any firearm in the City, except as authorized by law; provided, that nothing contained herein shall prohibit the drawing, flourishing or firing of air guns or firearms in duly licensed firing ranges or shooting galleries.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless it is unloaded and in a case, except as authorized by law.

This wouls seem to prohibit open carry in the city of Flint. Might be relevant considering your proposed gathering in Flint next Sat.

Is this a case where the preemption clause would prohibit Flint from enforcing that ordinance?

Every Flint cop I've talked to says open carry is illegal. Maybe this is why they think that way.

Later,

Graydon

This ordinance is illegal. Many of these were on the books before the 1990 preemption law was enacted. They are still on the books because they can intimidate those that don't know the law. If someone who doesn't know the law asks if it's okay to openly carry the LOE can point to the ordinance and say NO. Unfortunately this is what we are up againts. That's why we aretrying toeducate the people on open carry.

Open carry is OK there as it is in every city in Michigan. Many of the people at the meeting have CPLs so they can open or conceal carry. If anyone that shows up and doesn't want to open carry that's fine, come and see what won't happen. I will have several pages of laws, etc. on hand.

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
This ordinance is illegal. Many of these were on the books before the 1990 preemption law was enacted. They are still on the books because they can intimidate those that don't know the law. If someone who doesn't know the law asks if it's okay to openly carry the LOE can point to the ordinance and say NO. Unfortunately this is what we are trying to do. Educate the people on open carry.

Open carry is OK there as it is in every city in Michigan. Many of the people at the meeting have CPLs so they can open or conceal carry. If anyone that shows up and doesn't want to open carry that's fine, come and see what won't happen. I will have several pages of laws, etc. on hand.

I thought as much. I found similar ordinances in most communities in which I spend the majority of my time but most were not as blatant as Flint's. Most communities merely prohibit the discharge of firearms within the city limits. Some actually specifically allowed exceptions for legal self defense which was good to see.

Later,

Graydon

WARCHILD

imported post

Graydon; I have oc'ed in Flint for 2 summers now and have never been challenged. As I posted in another thread, when I helped a guy arrest hie nephew, there where at least 7 Flint city cops and 2 county sherrifs. Not a single one challenged me. I used to be concerned about it also until Venator set me straight. Now I carry with complete ease of mind and know how to handle it if challenged. I go along with let's wait and see what won't happen.

Jerry