• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best place to mount a holster in the vehicle?

hsmith

imported post

I am starting to notice a bit of wear on the leather seat where the butt of the firearm digs into the seat and i'd prefer to 1) stop that and 2) have a better place to secure the firearm while driving for better access (lets be honest, the hip under a seat belt isn't quite easy to get to).

Would around the right knee on the drivers side be an optimal choice? i would think it would minimize "painting" myself or a passenger because it would be forward motion to secure the firearm.

Has anyone had success with this or should I try a different path?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I have a plastic console down the middle of car. I took industrial-grade velcro(r) and affixed a plastic holster (actually it was the Glock belt-slide holster) to the transmission tunnel. If/when the car is traded I can peel off the velcro and leave no evidence.

Purchased a new auto last year and haven't done the same...yet. I've heard on a forum devoted to that auto that the center console is easy to access. I'm wondering about doing a semi-permanent mount on the same side and putting something like a Serpa CQC in the same area. Three discreetely placed screwholes that could be filled later on shouldn't be much of a problem.

Manka Cat

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Suction cup mounted holster to the drivers side window.

It really depends on what type of vehicle you have.

What if you get pulled over or use a drive through? Seems like you'd still need another place for those situations in order to keep your gun where you can get it if you need it. I have an explorer and sometimes tuck my gun in the door grip thing on there (not the handle). That holds it well, gives me access, and keeps it out of view from the driver's side window, but still open. Does seem like the right leg would be smart, if not a bit of a hassle unless you always carry like that.

DrewGunner

imported post

Manka Cat wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
Suction cup mounted holster to the drivers side window.

It really depends on what type of vehicle you have.

What if you get pulled over or use a drive through? Seems like you'd still need another place for those situations in order to keep your gun where you can get it if you need it. I have an explorer and sometimes tuck my gun in the door grip thing on there (not the handle). That holds it well, gives me access, and keeps it out of view from the driver's side window, but still open. Does seem like the right leg would be smart, if not a bit of a hassle unless you always carry like that.

"I'm sorry officer, I can't roll this window down. Could you please come around to the passenger side."hahaha.

I usually put mine in the center console in my pick-up. No real good place to put in my Z car. I've thought aboutattaching a cheap universal holster to the tranny tunnel, just haven't got around to it yet. Only problem with that is ifyou get pulled over, your guns is in plain view and would be easy to draw. 2 things that will almost definitelyget you drawn down on.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
If/when the car is traded I can peel off the velcro and leave no evidence.

What!?!?!?!

That's a great selling point! Raise the price of the car $50 and don't take it off until you know the buyer is anti-gun. And even then, tell him you'll only give him $10 off because it was an inexpensive holster.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Only problem with that is ifyou get pulled over, your guns is in plain view and would be easy to draw. 2 things that will almost definitelyget you drawn down on.

Train for being pulled over. This next part assumes you have a CC permit.

1) Gun and holster get tossedin the glove box fast. (I don't keep license and registration there.)

2) Voice-recorder goes on.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I normally carry in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA Level II set to the FBI cant. With that cant, when sitting the pistol is almost vertical to my torso. I can usually adjust the seatbelt buckle such that I have a clear draw to my holster. There is no place in my primary vehicle, including the center console, where I can place the pistol or mount a holster where I can get to it more easily than from those holsters, although I do sometimes carry it in the center console on longer trips for comfort.

DrewGunner

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Fallschirmjäger wrote:
If/when the car is traded I can peel off the velcro and leave no evidence.

What!?!?!?!

That's a great selling point! Raise the price of the car $50 and don't take it off until you know the buyer is anti-gun. And even then, tell him you'll only give him $10 off because it was an inexpensive holster.
4x4, power windows, power locks, Cd player, large frame gun holster... lol.

DrewGunner

imported post

Citizen wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
Only problem with that is ifyou get pulled over, your guns is in plain view and would be easy to draw. 2 things that will almost definitelyget you drawn down on.

Train for being pulled over. This next part assumes you have a CC permit.

1) Gun and holster get tossedin the glove box fast. (I don't keep license and registration there.)

2) Voice-recorder goes on.

Yea, I keep my reg, insurance, and tape recorder on my sun visor. I've had cops bitch at me for getting into the glove box before they get to thewindow and for not having my seatbeat on becauseI unhooked to reach the glove box.

Maybe a holster under the dash (out of sight), that was easily reachable.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I'm not worried about leaving my firearm in the car when I leave; I home my situational awareness is better than that. The holster is for holding while driving, not to have as a 'truck gun'.

Just had another thought, brought on by something sold at a Very inflated price.....
Depending on the size of ya gat....

A) Obtain an appropriately sized cup from the local stop'n'rob.
B) Find some Acraglass or perhaps quick-set latex(?) from the crafts store
* thinking on it, I'd recommend something with a bit of 'give' in case you miscalculate how much is required, latex is sounding better and better.
C) Wrap one or two layers of stretchwrap over the front if the firearm and spray it with a release agent.
D) Fill bottom of cup with your concoction to provide a base and stick the wrapped muzzle into the cup.
E) Allow to dry and you have a custom shaped, low profile holder for your choice of carry.
Your avarage quick-sip cup might be a bit flimsy, no one says you can't use something more substantial. Heck, if you had the confidence you could mould the carrier directly into the cup holder, so long as you lined it and used quick-release agent everywhere.

(I knew a custom knife maker back in the 70's who used to have a gunrack in the back window of his Cadillac. I'm drawing up plans for a horizontal carry rack for the back of my wagon)

Sheldon

imported post

Have you though about seat covers, Ihave some lamb's wool n it is nice n comfy, I have problems with making holes in my vehicle to mount stuff, so I just wear mine in the open when driving.

Sa45auto

imported post

I do a lot of driving in my work and I know what you mean.

I have found the most comfortable way to carry is with a shoulder holster.

Second place goes to a cross-draw holster on my left side.

In both instances, I am not fighting the seat belt, nor is my gun digging into me or my seat. ;)

AbNo

imported post

If you have a Cherokee, an excellent spot to mount a holster (or a holster.... clip/clip/loop of some kind) would be right under the transfer case lever.

This might also be true of other Jeeps (TJ, YJ, CJ), but I'd have to look at it.

I have a picture of that up somewhere, but the forum is having.... problems.

FightingGlock19

imported post

hhrrmmm ...I've not had issues with my pistol, and I've rigged up something for my rifle in my Silverado ...

trkgun1.jpg

G27

imported post

A few months ago I saw a website that sold magnets made specifically for guns. You'd screw it under your desk or other places and the magnet would hold up to 15 pounds of weight, if I recall correctly. I would love to find that website ago and buy one. If anyone knows of what I am talking about, please let me know! This would be perfect for some people's cars.

ijusam

imported post

G27 wrote:
A few months ago I saw a website that sold magnets made specifically for guns. You'd screw it under your desk or other places and the magnet would hold up to 15 pounds of weight, if I recall correctly. I would love to find that website ago and buy one. If anyone knows of what I am talking about, please let me know! This would be perfect for some people's cars.

http://quickdrawgunmagnets.com/

is this it?

Tomahawk

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
I'm not worried about leaving my firearm in the car when I leave; I home my situational awareness is better than that. The holster is for holding while driving, not to have as a 'truck gun'.

Just had another thought, brought on by something sold at a Very inflated price.....
Depending on the size of ya gat....

A) Obtain an appropriately sized cup from the local stop'n'rob.
B) Find some Acraglass or perhaps quick-set latex(?) from the crafts store
* thinking on it, I'd recommend something with a bit of 'give' in case you miscalculate how much is required, latex is sounding better and better.
C) Wrap one or two layers of stretchwrap over the front if the firearm and spray it with a release agent.
D) Fill bottom of cup with your concoction to provide a base and stick the wrapped muzzle into the cup.
E) Allow to dry and you have a custom shaped, low profile holder for your choice of carry.
Your avarage quick-sip cup might be a bit flimsy, no one says you can't use something more substantial. Heck, if you had the confidence you could mould the carrier directly into the cup holder, so long as you lined it and used quick-release agent everywhere.

(I knew a custom knife maker back in the 70's who used to have a gunrack in the back window of his Cadillac. I'm drawing up plans for a horizontal carry rack for the back of my wagon)

That's a very clever idea, FS. A variation would be to just take an el cheapo holster and stick it right into the concoction and let it dry permanently. And use a nicer-looking cup that has more class than "7-11".:)

I wouldn't trust the magnets. They may be fine for just driving around, but in a collision your pistol becomes a projectile. Also, I think the way metal objects tend to jump to the magnet and have to be peeled off may be harmful to the finish on your pistol.

I have a cheapo Bianci holster with a retention strap that I don't use for carry anymore, so I got a cheap nylon belt with a quick-release buckle from Wally World or K-Mar or somewhere, and I use it to attach the holster to the rear bench seat in my pickup. I just fed one end of the belt through the gap in the back of the bench and around the bottom. This way, the muzzle points toward the rear passenger side.

If I had access to a shop, I could make a metal bracket that attaches to the front of the cupholders over the transmission hump to which I could attach a holster, which would hold the pistol in plain view with the muzzle pointed straight down. That would be best.