• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very interesting article in the UW Daily

carhas0

imported post

That is a good article and I was surprised to see it in The Daily. Of course I was disappointed in the title and the scenario of executing vigilante justice. I left my comment.

Stealth Potato

imported post

Yeah, The Daily has always been pretty left-leaning, which is no surprise, but they've also seemed reluctant to even touch the issue of guns or guns on campus. It's definitely pretty remarkable that they would publish something like this now.

surfj9009

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
There's a reason why W. Washington is quoted as being full of "Gun-toting Liberals"....
HAHAHA. Your absolutely right. I hear people on the eastern side here say that all the time. And I am being totally honest.:D

BigDaddy5

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Yeah, The Daily has always been pretty left-leaning, which is no surprise, but they've also seemed reluctant to even touch the issue of guns or guns on campus. It's definitely pretty remarkable that they would publish something like this now.

They've touched it once before, that I saw. It was a girl who went to the range for the first time. Typical liberal bs at the begining, but it ended up being pretty good at the end. She said her experience was totally different from her perception, and that shooting was much more relaxing and calming than she expected.

Anyway, I wouldn't call the Daily "left leaning." The Times is "left leaning," the Daily is FAR left. But that's what you should expect, it's a student-run paper on UW.

The article today, or yesterday as it's dated, was a far cry from the usual, though. I'm trying to get ahold of my bud, who still goes to UW, to try and grab a copy of that one.

Stealth Potato

imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote:
The article today, or yesterday as it's dated, was a far cry from the usual, though. I'm trying to get ahold of my bud, who still goes to UW, to try and grab a copy of that one.
I still have my hard copy I picked up yesterday, and I could probably find a few more, if you want one.

Stealth Potato

imported post

Hmm, another interesting incident... yesterday I got a call from Josh Lynch, the online editor of Seattle University's student paper. He wanted to ask me a few questions about my views on campus carry.

Basically, in response to his questions, I told him that I believe it's a matter of personal responsibility for one's own safety, the Washington Constitution, the inability of police to protect individuals, and so on.

However, he also asked me if I was concerned about other students possibly seeing someone's gun and getting freaked out. I felt it would have been impolitic to push open carry too hard here, but I basically told him that most people conceal (;)), and that they usually do a good job of it. But I also said that even further than that, simply the presence of a gun shouldn't cause fear to any reasonable person; anybody who actually meant harm would either just be hiding it (say, in a guitar case) or would already have it out and be shooting people.

So, I'll keep a lookout for any results of this interview, and I'll be sure to post here as soon as I find anything.

just_a_car

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Hmm, another interesting incident... yesterday I got a call from Josh Lynch, the online editor of Seattle University's student paper. He wanted to ask me a few questions about my views on campus carry.

Basically, in response to his questions, I told him that I believe it's a matter of personal responsibility for one's own safety, the Washington Constitution, the inability of police to protect individuals, and so on.

However, he also asked me if I was concerned about other students possibly seeing someone's gun and getting freaked out. I felt it would have been impolitic to push open carry too hard here, but I basically told him that most people conceal (;)), and that they usually do a good job of it. But I also said that even further than that, simply the presence of a gun shouldn't cause fear to any reasonable person; anybody who actually meant harm would either just be hiding it (say, in a guitar case) or would already have it out and be shooting people.

So, I'll keep a lookout for any results of this interview, and I'll be sure to post here as soon as I find anything.
Well-done Trip! Any idea how he heard that you'd be someone to talk to on this matter?

Stealth Potato

imported post

I'm guessing he got my name from the KOMO news article on SB 6841 and 6860.

In any case, hopefully he'll actually present a fair look at the issue. I'm not sure what his personal opinions are on the matter, or if he'll let them influence his article, but I'm half-prepared to be portrayed as some kind of paranoid nutcase. But maybe that's just being paranoid of me. :cool:

just_a_car

imported post

Well, here's to hoping he's as Fox News likes to say "fair and balanced"...

Actually, I wouldn't even mind if he was unfair and imbalanced towards the pro-gun side. *chuckle*

Euromutt

imported post

The title sounds to me like an attempt by the editor to discourage readers from reading the body of the article.

FWIW, I'm slated to be on Evergreen's "Disappearing Task Force" (in English: committee that will disband once the task is completed) to review the Student Conduct Code at some point in the coming year, and I fully intend to push permitting carry on campus. My fallback position will be to reinterpret the current rules to class carry (open or concealed) by any CPL-holder as being "authorized," but that's only if I fail to gain traction by pointing to the state constitution, the fact that Evergreen Police Services currently only have 6 patrol cops instead of the 10 they're supposed to have, and the fact that even a 2-minute response time (which is very good, no slam intended towards the contributors on this board who are members of the law-enforcement community) is too slow to stop something like the NIU shooting, even with "lessons learned" from Virginia Tech.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:

Why not invite him to go shooting and then really educate him at the range. It's amazing what happens when they actually shoot a gun for fun. Just start him out with a 22.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Why not invite him to go shooting and then really educate him at the range. It's amazing what happens when they actually shoot a gun for fun. Just start him out with a 22.
+1, it can certainly work. But, the person has to be willing to enjoy themselves. I know, sounds dumb, but if they're determined to have a bad time because they "know" they will, then it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I had a friend of mine that was brought up by "tree-hugging hippies" (his words) and taught staunch anti-gun rhetoric. He came to me and wanted me to take me up on my offer to all my friends to take them shooting. We went to the range and he shot a ruger .22lr pistol (first firearm he'd ever shot) and he enjoyed it so much that when he finished with his brick of 50 rds, he went back to the counter of his own accord and got another brick of 100 rds!

He's still very liberal, but he's now VERY pro-gun.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
The title sounds to me like an attempt by the editor to discourage readers from reading the body of the article.

FWIW, I'm slated to be on Evergreen's "Disappearing Task Force" (in English: committee that will disband once the task is completed) to review the Student Conduct Code at some point in the coming year, and I fully intend to push permitting carry on campus. My fallback position will be to reinterpret the current rules to class carry (open or concealed) by any CPL-holder as being "authorized," but that's only if I fail to gain traction by pointing to the state constitution, the fact that Evergreen Police Services currently only have 6 patrol cops instead of the 10 they're supposed to have, and the fact that even a 2-minute response time (which is very good, no slam intended towards the contributors on this board who are members of the law-enforcement community) is too slow to stop something like the NIU shooting, even with "lessons learned" from Virginia Tech.
Wonderful! Don't forget to push state preemption and question if their WAC's could stand up to a legal challenge against all of that. I know they've found a way around preemption, but personally doubt it could stand up in court.