Thread: How not to hold your handgun!

Post imported post

Ok maybe a little off topic, but interesting,

This guy loses his thumb while holding his handgun the wrong way.

:::WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO:::

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?...ic&p=43237

I give this thread 1 1/2 thumbs Up! couldn't resist that one!

Post imported post

Wow.

I'll admit that I had no idea a revolver could do that. I've really only recently learned to shoot handguns (shot rifles and shotguns all my life), and I use a thumbs-forward grip like that. I'm glad I saw this, or it could have been my thumb.

Post imported post

I don't believe it.

I know that you shoot flame out of the sides of a wheel gun when you fire it and the bullet jumps the gap. I remember the first time I shot a .22 LR handgun in the dark. WOW.

The wound shown is not burnt. There would be a lot of force from the blast, but mostly fire and there is little or no evidence of that.

In the description of what happens the guy says he won't have surgery until next week. The wound shown looks a lot like what the middle finger on my left hand looked like when kick-back on my table saw threw a piece of wood into my finger. The Dr. removed the macerated flesh and sewed it right up. Now some 5 or 6 years later It works pretty good, BUT he didn't wait until next week.

If you read all of the comments on the first post, you will find that some of the latter ones start to agree with me.

Oh yea.....true or not, do not hold a wheel gun like the indicated photo shows, I don't care if it is a .22 LR.

Post imported post

here is the original thread on the AR forums. the photo was taken a few days after he lost his thumb, not the day of the incident.

having said that. many years ago I was shooting my 357mag and my freind stepped up next to me (about 5ft away) while I was shooting and got hit with (not sure of the correct term) but he was peppered with some metal spray/shavings that emitted from the gap between the cylinder and barrel. no real injury occured, but it scared the hell out of him

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...580&page=1

Post imported post

shaving from the flashgap is common when the cylinder timing is off, which I have found to be common on new guns. He may have caught a piece of jacket.

If you want evidence for shaving just go look at the dividers at the range or the ends at an outdoor range. tons of little cut marks.