• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.40 Cal 1911

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm in the long-term market for a 1911, and am considering the option of having one chambered in .40 cal. I have not had the opportunity to fire one, so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them that they could share.

The reason I want a 1911 is because of the accuracy, beauty, and feel of the firearm. After limited experience with .45 1911s, I've noticed that it doesn't flip up as much as my .40 SW99 does, making follow-up shots quicker and more accurate. What I'm wondering is if this feel is due to the heavier, slower .45 round, or because of the weight and design of the 1911. If I can achieve this same "feel" with a 1911 chambered in .40, then this is what I would prefer.

I would prefer the .40 because that is what I currently carry, and I'd like to avoid having too many calibers. I already have a few different calibers as it is. I am also satisfied with the .40's ballistics, on both sides of the round, so lets not turn this into a .40 vs .45 discussion. I have nothing against the .45, and will probably own one some day. For the time being, however, I'd like to stick with the caliber that I like and already own.

Anyway in summary, is the "flip" of the .40 cal round compensated by the 1911 style of handgun? And, are the 1911's chambered in .40 as accurate and reliable as the standard .45 1911s?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The .40 1911 is a concept that intrigues me too, much for the same reasons, I would enjoy hearing some info on them.

AbNo

imported post

I will say this, sticking with one caliber = good idea.

I use .22, 9x19mm, .40, and .45, and it's a mess....

Then again, a buddy of mine uses 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and .35 Remington. :p

Oh, and he has a 12-gauge that is in need of a new stock.

Marco

imported post

Almost everyone that makes a 1911 makes one in .40SW.
Being a 10mm guy might I suggest getting a 1911 in 10mm, then buy a aftermarket barrel (BAR-STO) in .40SW, .357Sig if you desire.

You can literally shoot 3 calibers from one gun. Oops four if you consider 9x25.
(9X25-125gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP @ 1700fps / 803 ft.lbs)

I would suggesta Dan Wesson (RazorBack or Pointman)or a Fusion Arms.

Here is a look at the Fusion Arms.
EDIT: link removed.

In my opinion the muzzle flip is aproblem associated to the cartridge regardless of what gun it is shot from.
But as you know the smaller, lighter guns will have more flip then a heavier gun.
40SW is a pussy cat in a full size 1911 when compared to a G23.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm honestly not interested in the 10mm. From what I've read, I wont get anything from the 10mm that I wont get from my .40. Even if I do get a .40, I'll still be able to switch between that and .357 SIG with the proper barrels.

Someone else had suggested fusion arms, so I e-mailed them with pretty much the same questions as I posed here. It's been two days with no response from them. I'm not exactly impressed.

Marco

imported post

DreQo wrote:
From what I've read, I wont get anything from the 10mm that I wont get from my .40.
That would depend on what your needs are.
I wouldn't call 100 to 200 fps nothing nor would I call 1.00" expansion.

You can always go down in caliber if you get a 10mm but the ability to go up in caliber will not be there if you get a 40SW, especially if your considering getting a full sized 1911.

To each his own.
In my opinion 10mm can do everything .40SW can do and then some and meets my needs. http://www.doubletapammo.com

Sorry to hear that about Fusion.
I got a chance to handle and shoot the 6"Hunter and was impressed.

thnycav

imported post

Sounds interesting.

P250

The P250, a modular pistol that allows the shooter to change caliber and size at will.... The SIG SAUER P250 was designed specifically to address the future needs of the military, law enforcement, and civilian shooters around the world. The P250 will be available in the most popular calibers (9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W and .45ACP). The P250's innovative design enables the shooter to quickly remove the functional mechanism and place it into the polymer grip of his choice. This allows an immediate change in caliber and size;(subcompact, compact and full). And after any change the pistol delivers both outstanding accuracy and reliable functionality. Its modularity not only provides incredible ease of maintenance, but also provides a solution for accommodating different hand sizes - there are 6 different ergonomic combinations for each size, accomplished by changes in grip circumference and trigger style. Now you can own the world's only modular shooting system globally engineered to deliver the "to hell and back" reliability you've come to expect from Sig Sauer.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=54&productid=183

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ummm that is no where near a 1911? See, now that is a PERFECT example of an off topic post. Thanks for that!

Anyway from reading through the responses so far, is it safe to say that no one has actuallyfired a .40 1911 yet? Or has Agent19? lol

thnycav

imported post

I have only fired with the .45 cal version of the 1911A1 in thge Army was on the combat pistol team for the 101st ABN

nova

imported post

I really should narrow down my calibers but I just can't stand the thought of selling any of my guns :?

I own 9x18, 9x19, .40sw, .45acp, .38spl, 12ga., and .30-06.
I love 'em all, but I shoot 9x19 the most since it's the cheapest. I am looking for another .40 or .45 in the future but I need to save and build up the money first :)

Marco

imported post

You must have missed this from my 1st post.
"40SW is a pussy cat in a full size 1911 when compared to a G23."
That would suggest that I have shoot one before.:lol:

I have Bar-sto barrels for 2 of my 1911's.
I converted a low serial Colt DE to save wear and tear.
The second gunI converted is a Dan Wesson (PRE CZ) RazorBack.
The reason I converted the guns, 40 ammo is cheaper to shot <$15 vs >$20 a box.
But whenI bought my G20 5yrs ago it became my primary gun, weight (almost equal)vs capacity.

I still love my 1911's and would never dream of parting with them, but as a carry gun for me the Glock 20 just makes more sense.

I also have a Bar-sto, 5bbl" in 40SWfor the Glock20 as well as a 6" LW 9x25 and a .22LR kit.

On my NV permit I have a (NV requirement you must qualify with each gun)
Glock 20
Glock 21 6" Bar-sto bbl and slide (ltd. run, got it @ the 2005 S.H.O.T show for $$$$$)
SA Compact 5"bbl XD (just added when I went back in Feb)
SW 3"M65
Ruger SP101
Colt DE-10mm
DW PM-10mm
H&K P7 M8
and a Colt 1903 Pocket pistol in .32acp.
Three 10mm's and 45ACP's, two .357mag's, one 9mm and one mouse caliber.

I sold all my guns chambered in .40SW, I had a G27,23 and 22 along with a Browning HP.

Edit:

Forgot the H&K had to look at my permit.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, what you said did imply that you could have fired the .40 1911, but you may have also been passing information that you gathered from another source. :)Thank you for clarifying.

So I got a reply from Fusion. Kind of a short reply, but we'll see how things go. He offered to quote me on a built sidearm to my specifications, so I'll post up here what I find out. He suggested the 10mm as well, but said there was nothing wrong with the .40 either. I decided to take a look at ammo prices....I'm definitely stickin with the .40 :D. However, I asked him if it would be possible to build the firearm to accept the 10mm, .40, and .357 Sig barrels, andonly purchasethe .40 barrel for the time being.

Sarkazien

imported post

I purchased the ParaOrd 1911 40S&W used, a few boxes ago. I bought it because of the double-stack 16-1 capacity. I don't think that capacity is available in the 45. It shoots great because of the weight and has not jammed.
As a concealed carry weapon, it is heavy. A lot of pants hoisting. I carry it cocked and locked. I must say that was hard to get used to. But, the Glock is cocked and locked if there is one in the chamber. I have heard of "Glock-Leg", but never "1911 leg"
There is an almost half-cock position, I am not sure what that does.

VAopencarry

imported post

Agent 19 = 10 MM Pimp :lol:

Your Sw99 weighs about 25 oz, an average 1911 weighs 38 oz. That's about 3/4 a pound more. The weight will help control recoil. That said, a 45 does not have a 'flippy' kind of recoil like a .40.

Sarkazien

imported post

I didn't mean it was heavy compared to a 1911 45cal, I meant it was heavy for a concealed carry choice. What is the weight diference betwee a 1911 45 cal with 7 or 8 rounds in it and a 1911 40cal with 17 rounds in it?