• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does your family feel about you OCing?

surfj9009

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:
The other day we were sitting in a restaurant and my wife looked at my gun and said' "I'm so glad that you are no longer all worried about keeping that thing hidden. It make me feel more secure to have others know that you are ready to protect me."

Man I love that women.
Does she have a cute sister?
She only has 1 sister, who was cute until she married and gained 100 pounds after 2 kids.

My wife, who is 5' 10" 140#, weighs within 5 pounds of what she did when I married her, and that is after 5 children. :)

OMG, now that's a keeper! It's nice to know that there are women who can plainly see what the real reasons are for us doing what we do.

My girl is ok with it, albeit it depends on the situation still, (fancy restaraunts I still conceal, but not for long:dude:)

Mom, doesn't care. She was a victim of very voilent crime when she was younger, and so she knows how important it is to me. Sister is and highschool and just thinks I am the bad ass older brother:D. Her boyfriends always seem to treat her very good after they meet me, and she deserves it. I kind of get to play the father with a gun role since dad is not around:lol:. Havent seen the rest of the family in years, so they don't know.

Custodian

imported post

My wife isn't really thrilled with my career choice. And I guess I'll find out from my brother soon enough. However, it is a fact of life and a duty as a citizen and necessity for a Christian.

You need the tools of the trade to survive the road of life.

Not even up for question, is it?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sailor628 wrote:
I just started OCing this week and was surprized that my wife had nothing to say when I strapped my pistol to my hip instead of tucking it IWB under my shirt. We've been all over town to various establishments and she has never raised any concerns. She isn't a shooting enthusist but believes in the importance of gun ownership. Also we recently got together with my brother and he didn't say a word about me OCing. It got me wondering how other people's families react or feel about open carry. Has your family or friends ever raised concerns over you open carrying?
My stepfather once said "I'm sorry you feel like you need that here." when I OC'd in his vacation condo. He knows I carry almost all the time, when legal, and doesn't mind, but I think he'd prefer I keep it hidden.

Now, when I took him to Charlotte recently (him using a walker after back surgery), he wanted to reassure himself I had it with me.

The rest of my family is either OK with it or just doesn't say anything.

My spouse OCs too. Needless to say he's OK with it. His family is in SoCal, and I've never asked what they think, because frankly, I don't care <grin>.

hsmith

imported post

My g/f thinks it is hot when i OC :lol:

But I do prefer to CC. Her parents aren't all that big on firearms but aren't anti. I CC around them out of respect and not wanting to push the issue. They normally side with me when we discuss firearm related issues even though they are quite liberal.

My mom live in the peoples republic of MD, so she hasn't been down here in awhile and seen me OC or known of me CC. She was a bit "worried" when i started to CC, but her fears have gone away over time. I am trying to convince my fahter to get his CHP in PA, he does a lot of traveling around the state and lives there.

Flintlock

imported post

sailor628 wrote:
It's a Hunter 45. What's your's? I plan on being back up in the San Juans in the summer. Maybe a OC flotilla is in order :lol:. Happy sailing.
Maybenot a bad idea. Although the chances of piracy happening to you in thatareaare beyond remote, you never know.. My parents had someone come on their boat in the middle of the night while they were anchored in a small cove. he requested assistance getting his boat back that floated away on him and he was rafting around in his dingy... Risky, I know..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

The International Maritime Bureau (IMB) maintains statistics regarding pirate attacks dating back to 1995. Their records indicate hostage-taking overwhelmingly dominates the types of violence against seafarers. For example in 2006, there were 239 attacks, 77 crew members were kidnapped and 188 taken hostage but only 15 of the pirate attacks resulted in murder.[16][/suP] In 2007 the attacks rose by 10% to 263 attacks. There was a 35% increase on reported attacks involving guns. Crew members that were injured was 64 compared to the 17 in 2006.[17][/suP] That number does not include hostages/kidnapping where they were not injured.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sailor628 wrote:
It's a Hunter 45. What's your's? I plan on being back up in the San Juans in the summer. Maybe a OC flotilla is in order :lol:. Happy sailing.
I'm jealous.... Don't laugh, but I've got a Aquarius 23. Smallest sailboat I've owned, but amazingly roomy inside. I've got a friend who is a cabinet maker and we are toying with overhauling the interior.

I actually live on my boat, and for a single guy and his guns I'm happy with my little pad. I just turned down a 28' something or another because the guy was a jerk... I'm holding out for a trimaran, and probably will just end up building one.

I agree, maybe an OC flotilla is in order. Don't know any other boaters in WA who OC, but I know a few dysfunctional vets at the marina with their own collections!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

sailor628 wrote:
It got me wondering how other people's families react or feel about open carry. Has your family or friends ever raised concerns over you open carrying?
My fiancee loves it because she feels safer when I carry. (Plus she likes guns so seeing it more often is a good thing - LOL). She has open carried once so far, too.

My kids like when I carry, too, because they want me to be able to protect them.

Most of my friends are also gun nuts, so they wouldn't mind at all.

My Ex-wife would hate it if she knew I carried a gun, because she's anti-gun and believes someone WOULD end up w/ it and kill us all.

My parents (and other relatives) don't even know I carry, and they'd just tell me that it's unsafe, or I don't need to do it, or they don't think it's a good idea, or etc etc etc... so I never even told them. They know I own guns. That "worries" them enough (afraid I'll hurt myself or something)....

Sheldon

imported post

Actually I think most of the world is rather un observant of such, in short many live in a glass bubble and see nothing.

Case in point I OC'd at church for several weeks while helping on a project there (I am on the Church board and gave myself permission to carry) before anyone noticed and then it was like "Oh you have a gun... Why?":dude:

Opie

imported post

Manka Cat wrote:
The only negative feedback has been from my future brothers in law. One has three kids and asked me straight up not to carry around them. I tried to explain to him that it will only make them safer, but he insists. I think it's more that his kids are fascinated with guns (because he never has them around and treats them like they will kill you if you look at them wrong). After his boys found an old BB gun in their grandparents garage and started playing with it, he refuses to let them near any guns.

I know, brilliant way to encourage them to play with the first gun they can get their hands on.

Manka Cat, your story highlights one of my strong arguments for educating children about firearms. My kids are still too young to take to the range, but I alreadyteach them about firearms and answer their questions in order to remove the mystery. They know that if they find a firearm they should not touch it, leave it alone and tell an adult.

I've found that the children of people of who are unfamiliar with firearms are extremely quick to pick up a pistol and play with it. It is, in fact, scary. Education is important in preventing accidents, even if you are opposed to firearms. If I were you, I would tell your future brother in law that you respect his decision not to keep firearms around his children, but that he needsto get his head out of the sand and at least teach his boys how to safely handle them!

On the main topic, I have spent the last year getting my wife warmed up to concealed carry. She's mostly for it, and is getting better. Mainly, she just prefers to pretend that the bad side of nature that causes a need for carrying doesn't exist. However, this Saturday she took the NRA Basic Pistol class and put 15 of 15 in the black. I was surprised at how good a shot she is! I've asked her to get her CHP to exercise her rights, even if she doesn't want to carry, and she's agreed to. Since I typically carry concealed, most of my family hasn't seen me open carry. I'm a pretty clean cut guy, so I imagine that they would just raise their eyebrows and not say anything if they saw me open carrying. Now that I've opened my wife's eyes some I plan to open carry more often...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Opie wrote:
Manka Cat wrote:
The only negative feedback has been from my future brothers in law. One has three kids and asked me straight up not to carry around them. I tried to explain to him that it will only make them safer, but he insists. I think it's more that his kids are fascinated with guns (because he never has them around and treats them like they will kill you if you look at them wrong). After his boys found an old BB gun in their grandparents garage and started playing with it, he refuses to let them near any guns.

I know, brilliant way to encourage them to play with the first gun they can get their hands on.

Manka Cat, your story highlights one of my strong arguments for educating children about firearms. My kids are still too young to take to the range, but I alreadyteach them about firearms and answer their questions in order to remove the mystery. They know that if they find a firearm they should not touch it, leave it alone and tell an adult.

I've found that the children of people of who are unfamiliar with firearms are extremely quick to pick up a pistol and play with it. It is, in fact, scary. Education is important in preventing accidents, even if you are opposed to firearms. If I were you, I would tell your future brother in law that you respect his decision not to keep firearms around his children, but that he needsto get his head out of the sand and at least teach his boys how to safely handle them!
I agree 100%

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Opie wrote:
Manka Cat wrote:
... I think it's more that his kids are fascinated with guns... After his boys found an old BB gun in their grandparents garage and started playing with it, he refuses to let them near any guns.

+1000. My kids are too young to take to the range, too (oldest is only 8). Not that they couldn't handle the guns physically, they're just not ready mentally yet. But I have taught them the safety rules if they find a gun (don't touch, everyone leave room, tell adult) at a friend's house. I've also taught them proper handling and safety for when they do learn shooting (they have excellent trigger finger discipline already).

I believe that all children are naturally curious, and even if YOU don't have guns in your house, you still need to teach them about gun safety because eventually, they'll be exposed to them somewhere and will need that safety education and knowledge ahead of time. Because, as too many families already know, children who don't know better will pick a gun right up and point it at someone, and you know their finger is already on the trigger.... :shock:

Erus

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Opie wrote:
Manka Cat wrote:
... I think it's more that his kids are fascinated with guns... After his boys found an old BB gun in their grandparents garage and started playing with it, he refuses to let them near any guns.

+1000. My kids are too young to take to the range, too (oldest is only 8). Not that they couldn't handle the guns physically, they're just not ready mentally yet. But I have taught them the safety rules if they find a gun (don't touch, everyone leave room, tell adult) at a friend's house. I've also taught them proper handling and safety for when they do learn shooting (they have excellent trigger finger discipline already).

I believe that all children are naturally curious, and even if YOU don't have guns in your house, you still need to teach them about gun safety because eventually, they'll be exposed to them somewhere and will need that safety education and knowledge ahead of time. Because, as too many families already know, children who don't know better will pick a gun right up and point it at someone, and you know their finger is already on the trigger.... :shock:

+1000 Here too. Remove the mystery, highlight the responsiblity involved in owning/using firearms. Take them to the range as soon as is possible. Dad did it with me, I do it with my kids. Just turned 14 yo daughter got her first .22 rifle for christmas two years ago, about to be 12 son gets his this year. They can shoot my .45/.30-30/SKS with ease and accuracy. (though the 12 guage is a still a little much without the low load shells. lol) Little crumbsnatchers will be out shooting me in no time. ;)

Erus

AbNo

imported post

Opie wrote:
Manka Cat wrote:
I think it's more that his kids are fascinated with guns.

I've found that the children of people of who are unfamiliar with firearms are extremely quick to pick up a pistol and play with it.  It is, in fact, scary.

You can both thank Hollywood and evening television for that.

My short people will have that "Ooooh! What's that!?!?!" trained out of them. At least, for guns.

As a final note, I think "Stop, don't touch, tell an adult" is part of the problem, kids never get out of that mindset when they become adults.

"If you don't see the fnords, they can't eat you."

MustangDave

imported post

My mom dosent like it, dad doesn't care. My gf hates it, her mom hates it and dosen't want me to be around them when I carry, don't know about her dad.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Erus wrote:
Little crumbsnatchers will be out shooting me in no time. ;)

Erus
LMAO Sometimes that little space bar can make a HUGE difference.
"Hey where are the kids?"
"They're out shooting their father in the backyard." is much different than
"They're outshooting their father in the back yard."
:celebrate

MustangDave wrote:
My mom dosent like it, dad doesn't care. My gf hates it, her mom hates it and dosen't want me to be around them when I carry, don't know about her dad.
Functional term: girlfriend. If you can't train 'em, you can replace 'em without giving them half your stuff. :p

Erus

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Erus wrote:
Little crumbsnatchers will be out shooting me in no time. ;)

Erus
LMAO Sometimes that little space bar can make a HUGE difference.
"Hey where are the kids?"
"They're out shooting their father in the backyard." is much different than
"They're outshooting their father in the back yard."
:celebrate

Nice catch, deepdiver! The whole family got a HUGE guffaw out of your pointing out my typo.Theyall thinkboth statements are apt to be at least occasionally likely.. *ask em about making them eat thier green veggies* :quirky

Thanks for the laugh. We needed it.

Erus